Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach ESL Vs. Truck Driving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterkodak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Teach ESL Vs. Truck Driving Reply with quote

With apologies to a certain poster on the forum, I thought I would write a few things I have observed. No, I have never driven a truck but I think that some people would be better off going to the 1-800 "no highschool diploma.. no problem" truck driving school as opposed to teaching ESL.
Teaching ESL in Turkey is interesting compared to driving a truck. ESL teaching involves interacting with various people and cultures on a daily basis. It pays ok but sometimes not as steady as this poster would like sometimes. Truck driving always pays and involves limited truck driving.
ESL teachers have to make lesson plans, attend teacher meetings and trainings, as well as act professional. Sometimes there is even a dress code. Truck drivers may have to wear the company ballcap but very seldom have a dress code. Truck drivers only have to meet freight deadlines, stop at weigh stations, and "keep the pedal to the metal". Truckers interact very little with live people and pretty much confine their conversations to the CB. "Ten-four good buddy".
Truck drivers live in a truck sometimes. ESL teachers sometimes don't know where they are going to live. ESL teachers in Turkey can eat lahmacun, doner, pide, and other Turkish etc. Truck drivers in North America can eat Macdonalds, BK, and whatever their hearts desire.
ESL teachers usually have to bathe on a regular basis. Truck drivers have the option of stinking. Then again, if you teach in Turkey chances are you can get away with not bathing for a few days if you have the right cologne.
This poster thinks that truck driving probably pays better than teaching ESL in some places. Truck drivers are probably lazy and illiterate and don't care about other people. They usually only travel within the same states or provinces in North America. ESL teachers probably dont make so much money but can travel anywhere they wish, as long as they are qualified.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... ah, but what is a qualified EFL teacher anyway? Most of us are just lowly uneducated, unqualified backpackers who should probably stick to driving a truck since we all know that a BEd in math or a Masters in Philosophy etc are the only true signs that one can do the job. Experience and TEFL be damned.

O, and hey, hos geldin back to the land of Ataboy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: