Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private school in Honduras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paohashi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Private school in Honduras Reply with quote

I am applying to a private school in the Honduras for a teaching position. The administrator says that most teachers when getting to the country simply indicate that they are there for tourism and thus don't bother with obtaining a working visa. Is this generally OK? Also, if anyone has any information on the Honduras or experience and wisdom from central latin America I would love to hear about it.
Thanks,
Paul
EllenLowery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I'm afraid I don't have any info for you, but I do have questions! How's the process going? Are you applying to teach ESL, or classroom teach in a bilingual school? What town will you be in? I ask b/c I'm looking at an opportunity in a VERY small town in Honduras for elementary teaching in a bilingual school. Anyway, good luck. I hope the experience is a good one for you.

Ellen
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: No Work Visa?Uh.I Would Be CAREFUL with that ONE!! Reply with quote

So,as I understand it ,the private school you are considering is telling you not to"bother getting a work permit'?I do not know specifically about Honduras,but most countries take a very dim view of people working on tourist visaa.Of course,some people do it and some do not get caught.That does not make it legal.It sounds to me like the owner of the private school may be trying to make you think that you don't need a work permit...maybe because they want you right away or maybe they do not want to be bothered with helping you.But if you do get caught...it will probably be you holding the bag.Private schools(in all areas of the world) have been known to tell prospective teachers that "they don't need a work permit"...then later...the teacher takes the fall.You should contact a Honduran embassy or consulate and get the info from THEM.They are the experts.And always be careful when dealing with private schools...anywhere in the world.Some are honest.A lot are not honest.Best of luck.Be careful.
paohashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The info helps out. Turns out I won't be going south after all. I got a couple jobs lined up at home so I'm committing to those. The school was called Atlantic Bilingual School in Puerto Cortes - for the reply that asked.
Best of luck to you all.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Permits Reply with quote

I thnk I can help clear this up as it's my job to work out work permit issues in Latin America for teachers.

Many countries, with some exceptions, are very laid back regarding work permits. This is an issue that goes deep into Latin American history.

If a school tells a teacher that they don't require a work permit, it's not because they expect the teacher to take a fall instead of them...it's simply because the mentality in these countries is to not bother with official government pronouncements. There is a long history of governemnt corruption in many Latin American destinations, so you often see this attitude where it's preferrable to do things under the table.

That doesn't make it bad, although it also doesn;t make it legal. You need to think that in this part of the world, bribery is common. Ask any Latin American businessman how man times he's bribed a government official in the last month. If he doesn't accuse you of being a governemnt informant, he'll shrug and admit to a few encounters. It's just the way it's gone down here.

I've received more complaints for people who have tried the official governement process than from people who could play Latin American style. I've never heard of one person getting deported or arrested for working without a permit.

Of course, for the higher ups listening, I don't endorse in any way that any laws be broken in any country anywhere.

Point is, know the culture of where you are gong first...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: