Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget Night in Shanghai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Budget Night in Shanghai Reply with quote

Hello---I am planning to head in to the city (from near Hanfzhou) to have a look at the place...I havent been paid yet so I dont want to blow the bank. Is it possible to camp out in a PC room for a few hours waiting for the train---or bus... Or a budget Hotel... I have heard of one across the bridge from the Bund that might cost about 60Y. Anybody know of any safe-affordable place to spend a night. ???Sights-aside from the Bund is there anything nearby not to be missed? I appreciate any input...
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to stay at the PUJIANG HOTEL, now the Shanghai Youth Hostel (affiliated with the international YHA).
I used to pay around 60 in a dorm.

It is next to the Bund, opposite the Russian consulate and the Shanghai Mansions. Bus 928 from the train station, alight at Nanjing Donglu, then backtrack for some 300 metres.
gerard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger but are you talking US$ 60...Just got one of my students to phone and Pujang want 330 RMB for a dorm and 450 for a single...They managed to find me something around Peoples Sq. for 270RMB a night. . The Pujang area is what I want to see though so I might lose the difference in cabs...
eric the king

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard
Don't worry - People's Square to the Bund is a walkable distance.
As for other sights, Shanghai doesn't really have much to offer, except for some pretty surreal urban landscapes. I recommend twilght in the park in people's Square. Quite amazing.
Also, I heard that YHA had opened 2 hostels in Shanghai - not sure where though - may be worth searching the net.
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I good budget night in Shanghai includes eating in a Brazilian Steakhouse, getting a deluxe room at the Peace Hotel, listening to jazz downstairs while getting intoxicated on dry martinis, then taking a date to Club 97 for an evening of drinking and dancing.

That's a good cheap evening.
Roger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard,
I spent 50 RMB or so last time I was in Shanghai (and that was before the Pujiang was transformed into a YH). The YH flyer says a dorm bed can be had for 55, and a single room for 250!
Are you sure your student rang THE Pujiang?? might be a useful idea to get a guidebook when travelling around China! Budget hotels are increasingly being phased out!
gerard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-I stand corrected. Dorms (up to 10) are available for55Y. My student gave me prices for single double or view no view or something. They can deal with English a bit there - I called on arrival. I had some beer on the train though so I thought my own room would be wise. Also www.chinanow.com although not updated lists a bunch of places that are at least reasonable. Thanks and Senor b w I will jot down that itinerary for the next time. ( Let me plug my new found friends pub --- the big bamboo ---) A block from the hard rock cafe- do they have those damn things everywhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: