Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama for re-election
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But the truth is, Obama will be laughing during his re-election campaign.

No matter how many wars he starts or how many promises he breaks, people will keep voting for him. He knows and relishes this. And he chuckles to himself at the very thought of this fact. He can get away with anything.

That's why we get more of the same.

Regards,
CF
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

My. I certainly admire your uncanny ability to get right inside another's mind:

"But the truth is, Obama will be laughing during his re-election campaign.

No matter how many wars he starts or how many promises he breaks, people will keep voting for him. He knows and relishes this. And he chuckles to himself at the very thought of this fact."

I guess I have to take it back; with this power, your truth must clearly be THE truth. Handicapped as I am, all I can offer is an opinion.

Regards,
John
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

You would be laughing, too, if you knew you could get away with anything.

Regards,
CF
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

But I can - and always do. Tee-hee.

Regards,
John
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

Me, too! Me, too!

Hahahahahaha...! Laughing

Regards,
CF
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Dear John,

So what's the difference?

Obama is the same as Bush:

Gitmo - still open.
Patriot Act - still active.
Iraq - still there.
Afghanistan - still there.
Libya - started a war there.
Predator strikes - still continuing.

Guess what makes this soooo funny?

Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize! Laughing

Regards,
CF

I believe BO now holds the record for most wars by a Nobel Peace Prize Winner! Another feather in his cap! How can you not vote for him again?
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to it. By now I have. If you don`t want the US to be the world`s policeman, just vote for Paul. Then you will really get incompetence.
chaiplz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:

I would like to see your sources for that one, considering Gadhafi was slaughtering his people and the US didn't get involved until after the UN stepped in. The US was NOT the first country in there, and the US did not 'declare war'.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor would I consider an aerial attack a war. Aside from declaring war, which the US has not done since WWII, we are not the invading army. Whether that happens or not, remains to be seen, and as I said before I believe the high command will implode and turn on Ghaddafi. If you read carefully both Clintons and NATO`s remarks on the matter as well as what the Prez himself have said, they are not interested in regime change but in Ghaddafi leaving. Why in the world would they keep insisting on that?

Simple, they want some traitors in Ghaddafi`s high command to turn on him and imprison or slit his throat. Of course, the UN and the Libyan people will then deal with the high command, NATO`s/Clinton`s/ and Obama`s words notwithstanding.

This will blow over very soon. This won`t be a protracted situation. The aftereffects will be as in every Revolution. The leaders will end up cannibalizing each other, one by one, like in the Iranian revolution and the French.

The US is wary of arming the rebels because they are not interested in another military leadership taking over.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@geaaronson

1: Ghaddafi leaving IS regime change because he IS the regime.

2: An aerial attack IS an act of war. Just ask yourself what the US, UK or Russia would do if foreign fighter bombers started knocking out military installations within their borders.

In general:

I have been amazed since Obama came to power at how the far left and so-called human rights activists have suddenly become so silent regarding Gitmo, Iraq and Afghanistan. What happened to Code Pink? Is war chic again now that we have a Dem for President? I didn't agree with these types when Bush was in office but I respected their opinions because I thought (wrongly) that they truly believed in what they were fighting for. Now I see that they were fighting only Bush and NOT for all the ideals they claimed they were.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1: Ghaddafi leaving IS regime change because he IS the regime.

So when Clinton et al. say that they are not interested in regime change they are allowing a free pass to the henchman. Get with the euphemisms in geopolitics. And like I said, it`s but a ruse. In a few years, some of the henchman will be history and it will be NATO that will help put the nails in their coffins.

I am not going to argue with you on the rest of your posting. I am only pointing out to you the current thinking in the "Allied High Command". It`s unfortunate and naive that so many people, like yourself, still don`t understand what is going with Libya. Whether you think it is moral or not is another question and I will not discuss that with you. I am only pointing out to you the NATO thinking. Either understand what it is or stay so self centered as to limit your understanding of the matter. I, on the other hand, understand your position and for that reason am not interested in arguing against your moral stance.[/quote]
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaiplz wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:

I would like to see your sources for that one, considering Gadhafi was slaughtering his people and the US didn't get involved until after the UN stepped in. The US was NOT the first country in there, and the US did not 'declare war'.

Obama led this war on Libya...

On March 3, the President insisted that Gadhafi must step down: http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/obama-declares-gaddafi-must-step-down-leave-now-89275

On March 19, a US-led coaliton began airstrikes on Libya. The commanders of this military operation were American: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Odyssey_Dawn

As to your other points...

True. Gadhafi was slaughtering his own people. But protesters were also being slaughtered in Syria. Why not attack Syria, too?

The UN simply declared a no-fly zone over Libya. The Obama administration had urged the UN to adopt this resolution.

Of course, the US was not alone in attacking Libya. But it led the attack.

True. War was not declared on Libya. But so what? The Korean War was an undeclared conflict. Just because it's not declared, doesn't mean it's not a war.

Rolling Eyes
geaaronson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a conjectured thought. Syria is a landlocked country too removed from international waters. If you are going to do air attacks you have to have a nearby floating navy to base the aeria sorties.

Also, no other nations consent is required for flyovers in Libya`s case. With Syria you need Lebanon and maybe jordan. Not sure of the geographics there or what the flight patterns would be from eastern Mediterranean.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
Just to add a conjectured thought. Syria is a landlocked country too removed from international waters. If you are going to do air attacks you have to have a nearby floating navy to base the aeria sorties.

Also, no other nations consent is required for flyovers in Libya`s case. With Syria you need Lebanon and maybe jordan. Not sure of the geographics there or what the flight patterns would be from eastern Mediterranean.

Landlocked?!

The northwest part of Syria touches the Meditteranean, which is international waters. Burj Islam is a popular beach there. (The country is north of Israel.)

Any consent needed for sorties over Syria would probably come from Cyprus.

Do a little research, my friend. Wink
james2187

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least necessary evil does not equal good.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: