Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you miss about the ME?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: what do you miss about the ME Reply with quote

If you call...paying for 2 week holidays for two in the South of France....paying for my GF to fly to the UK from the ME....buying a brand new off the showroom floor car for my parents with cash....hiring cars in the UK so I could treat my elderly grandmother to days out...tipping very generously to every poor benighted waiter and taxi driver i come across....tight-fisted...... then Scot47......i suppose i am!!!!

life in the UK doesn't fill me with loathing....life in the tranquil and serene KSA on the other hand does...enjoy The KSA and whatever country you decide to retire to Scot 47...!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Batman ! Reply with quote

Have you arranged your job in MacDonalds ? Or will you be too busy watching Big Brother and reading the News of the World ?

Oh by the way boywonder, were these rumours about you and Batman true ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey boy,

Quote our boy: "She has spent 2/3 rds of her life in the Gulf.. experienced life in the West for over 8 years and unlike either of you probably knows what she is talking about!!!!!"

Goodness me yes. I'm sure that this young women knows so much more than either Cleo or me - ignorant Western Females that we are. After all, I only have an MA and have lived in 4 different Middle East countries over 15 years and traveled to 20 other countries. In my 50 plus years, I couldn't possibly have learned anything about life. I have only lived in large cities and rural areas, been married, divorced and a few spots in between. I probably didn't even bother to talk to both my male and female students and share their frustrations and their joys.

Obviously the two of you are bitter unhappy people and I can only feel sorry for the both of you. From your comments, you strike me as a person that will probably make a list like this wherever you live perhaps because of your personal situation. The point is that nowhere is perfect, and we all have to make our own happiness. I believe that you were in Qatar? Many people live there happily for years, but there are always people who can't adjust. Much better that you go back home.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boywonder and His Qatari Partner !

Yes, when I was 24 I thought I knew everything too. I was particularly contemptuous of old stick-in-the-muds who obviously had done nothing and understood nothing of the world.

A few more years and you and your significant other may acquire some humility and some wisdom.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: what will you miss about the ME Reply with quote

24....she might be..but i am 58.......don't assume too much Scot 47!!
BTW less of the Qatari..it'll upset the locals......she hails from jolly Jordan!!

Last edited by Boy Wonder on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: togetherness! Reply with quote

it's just struck me...Madam VS..and Scot47.....with your shared characteristics of self importance....wisdom masqueraded by arrogance and ability to dispense ridiculous cod philosophy on unsuspecting strangers.....that you two should get it together and share your retirement together..you'd make a wonderful couple!!!

As for my relationship with Batman..or Bruce (as he liked to be called in the more intimate and private moments we shared together)..well that's between..me.....my maker....Brucie baby.....all the guys at the Blue Oyster Bar...and our wealth of interestingly attired friends...not forgetting our relationship counsellor.!

in other words..none of your business!!!!!

Re mackyD's...30 grand for outlet manager can't be bad...more than what we get paid out here....may i suggest Scot47...(BTW is that your age or waistline?)..that in the true spirit of all Gulf veterens everywhere....you apply in an effort to top up your dwindling KSA salary....afterall you'll meet a better class of person..and get to order some spotty 17 yr old around......you're used to ordering people around aren't you...what with living in and liking the ME!!

I do read the Sun and News of the Screws online...and greatly enjoy the chance to catch up with the latest cultural news from the Mother country....such as Jordan falling out of a taxi...or a man wearing a hat made of congealed Baked Beans.....essential stuff......you don't know what you are missing Scot47!!!

Last edited by Boy Wonder on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boywonder

Just a minute. You are 58 so how old is this "aged grandmother" that you refer to ?

Allow me to extend my walking appendage with the attached bells.

You did not anwer my query about the rummours concerning you and Batman.

Did you............... ? Were you .......................................?
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: GRANDMA Reply with quote

Grandma Ross is 76..she's my 2nd step mother's ma..and is loved by us all...my father had a propensity for marrying young women..something I have gladly managed to steer clear of....I only date and stamp them!
re myself and Battyman...see above!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, our boy is 58 and his little friend is a 24 year old Muslim girl from Jordan???

Well, now that explains everything, doesn't it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you miss about the ME? Reply with quote

Boy Wonder wrote:
otherwise I'd have gone to Japan, Korea or one of the other Far Eastern countries that now offer the same salary as the Middle East...and much better living and working conditions!!!

Hello Mr. Wonder,

Japan? But it's so expensive to live there. I think you'd have to have a Ph.D. to score what in the ME is master's-level savings.

And Korea? My gosh, the only way you can equal ME money there is to "do privates," as they so indelicately call it.

BD
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Boy Wonder"]I shall miss....NOTHING.....NOTHING......NOTHING...! Evil or Very Mad

not the accomodation,
not the people who can't drive
not the disorganisation of the whole continent
not the sexism
not the racism
not the pollution
not the bureaucracy
not the hypocrisy
not the 50 degrees heat
not the bars full of perverts
not the lazy locals
not the cinemas showing 6 month old movies
not the censored media
not the censored movies
not the indisciplined spoilt children
not the indisciplined spoilt adults
not the characterless shopping malls
not the litter strewn streets
not the pot holed roads
not the slavery
not the bizarre,sociopathic,dysfunctional western expats
not the overpriced monopolised air fares
not the exit letters to leave the country
not the complete lack of public transport
not the sleaze
not the arrogant employers
not the arrogant students
not the complete lack of professional development
not the lack of live entertainment
not the stinginess displayed by some teachers
not the subjugation of women
not the narrow mindedness
not the lack of wildlife and nature
not the desolate landscape
not the belief that all western women are prostitutes
not the belief that western fashion is dirty
not the segregation of men and women
not the students telling you all music is evil
not the lack of battenburg cakes
.......want any more reasons.....????????[/quote]

That's funny, I sorta thought the public transportation was ok. Otherwise, you've drawn a pretty good picture of the bad side.
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was absolutely hilarious. Thank you all.

And as Bindair Dundat stated, Japan is indead expensive. The only people who make and/or save a lot of money have extensive Japanese experience and connections, PhDs, work their butts off, or live like they did in university.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communist Smurf wrote:

That's funny, I sorta thought the public transportation was ok. Otherwise, you've drawn a pretty good picture of the bad side.

I have to disagree, Mr. Smurf. There has been no lack of "wildlife and nature" in any of the ME countries where I have lived. In fact, the c o c kroaches were the biggest I've ever seen anywhere, and garbage cats were ubiquitous.

As for live entertainment, a classroom full of shebab can be as much fun as a barrel of monkeys. *Precisely* as much fun, if you get my drift.

Yours,

BD
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Unveil yourself Reply with quote

Dear Mrs...Miss..Ms or whatever it is...Veiled Sentiments,
Explain what exactly?

I suggest you unveil yourself and tell me what is really going on in your jaundiced little mind!!!!
And don't go calling my wonderful 'little friend' bitter and unhappy.....call me anything you like..and I am most probably it....but leave Hoda out of it!
Or i shall march down to the airport in a rage of righteous indignation..board the very next connecting US flight....find you in your little US hideyhole and rip that symbol of zexual repression right off your smirking face!!
You are dealing with a very temperamental and exerienced middle aged man....born and raised on the mudflats of Canvey island...Do you know where that is????
Do you know what you are dealing with????

As for lists...well the lists of negatives for Poland...Spain...France...and Italy..remained on a big fat zero!!!!
The list for Greece..was admittedly longer than a point or two but i feel justified .....people advising me to drown stray puppies i had rescued and being treated like a slaveboy by my employers might have had something to do with it....!
My point still is that despite Hoda's relatively youngish age she is Arabic looking out......
you are a westerner looking in......
Despite your experience and years spent in the ME....Hoda's view of her own society is far more valid....you savvy!!!
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Boy Wonder I hope your Jordanian (Palestinian ?) pal has her residence papers sorted out. The Home Office is a bit touchy about people from the ME these days.

Incidentally is she with Hamas or Hizbullah ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: