Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to it all in Bogota!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M123

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: New to it all in Bogota! Reply with quote

I have been reading through the forms a little, trying to gather information but I have become scared because I believe I am quite different then all the above... I don't have a degree. As well I have a TESL certificate not a CELTA certificate, I want to know what exactly the difference is. And will not having a degree and only having my TESL keep me from getting work here in Bogota? I do have experience teaching but it's all volunteering, I'm not even sure if that really makes a difference?

As well I read somewhere that either Perterson's or IH Bogota will help with getting a work Visa, and maybe even pay for it. What are your experiences with getting work Visas?

As well my boyfriend and I are looking for apartments (amoblado) or even just a room. Any information that you have from work to where to buy things. All is appreciated!
G22

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to find work regardless if you're a native speaker, but you will probably have to settle for a bit less. You will need a CELTA to work at IH, but that will set you back $1500 US at least. IH does offer a work visa, but honestly you don't need a work visa to work here and there are like 17 can different visas you can get so a work visa isn't your only option. If you want to find a room check out http://www.compartoapto.com/ there are lots of room listings from anywhere from 100 US to 1,000 US a month. I got a room for about $175 US a month. Cheers.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to it all in Bogota! Reply with quote

M123 wrote:
I have been reading through the forms a little, trying to gather information but I have become scared because I believe I am quite different then all the above... I don't have a degree. As well I have a TESL certificate not a CELTA certificate, I want to know what exactly the difference is. And will not having a degree and only having my TESL keep me from getting work here in Bogota? I do have experience teaching but it's all volunteering, I'm not even sure if that really makes a difference?

As well I read somewhere that either Perterson's or IH Bogota will help with getting a work Visa, and maybe even pay for it. What are your experiences with getting work Visas?

As well my boyfriend and I are looking for apartments (amoblado) or even just a room. Any information that you have from work to where to buy things. All is appreciated!

Tell us about your TESL. Is it a "CELTA equivalent?" Courses that include 120 hours of study, including 6 hours of other people observing your lessons, and 6 hours of you observing other people are considered "CELTA equivalent." If your course fits these criteria, there's really no need to get a CELTA, unless you feel your course was substantially lacking in quality. At least when I interviewed there, it didn't seem like Peterson's helped with getting a visa. I found them to be a little sketchy, but you can give them a try and decide for yourself. I don't think IH hires anyone unless they have specifically either the CELTA or Trinity TESL. I might be wrong about this...if your certification is a CELTA equivalent, it at least wouldn't hurt to try IH.

Without a bachelor's degree, I think it will be very difficult for you to get work in high schools or universities. Difficult, but maybe not impossible. In any case, many language institutes will hire you...probably illegally. Whether or not that fits into your plans of how long you plan to stay, crap you're willing to put up with without any legal protection, or personal values is up to you.
M123

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for replying, I had looked into IH Bogota but maybe I will do it again and just try other places... really all I know right now is IH Bogota, Perterson's and Verve(I believe is the name). As my TESL is most definitely an equivalent, I have 10 hours of teaching and people observing me and I have 10 hours of observing as well. So I do believe it is sufficent...
I will just have to search this city high and low for institutes.. its just so damn big though!

Another question has anyone tried being a Nanny here.. or something like it?

And as for my Visa thanks for the tip on looking into other Visas I will just have to see what I can do. My boyfreind is Colombian and as of now I am not ready to get kicked out of Colombia... so legally is probably how I will look into it.. hmm
As for living, between how much you work and how much you earn, does it come out in the end that you usually have a bit extra and if so what part of the city do you live in that is so cheap. I have looked on http://www.compartoapto.com/ but not much luck as it is for my boyfriend and I.(No one likes couples!)
Thanks for all the help! All tips are fantastic!! Very Happy
travelNick

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for apartments online and in the paper can be troublesome, a lot of people don't want to pay money to advertise and so just put a sign on their window. Just choose an area you like, put on your walking shoes, top up your credit on your cell, and go for a walk Smile

Otherwise, try Ospina. They have a free search tool online.
G22

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelNick wrote:
Looking for apartments online and in the paper can be troublesome, a lot of people don't want to pay money to advertise and so just put a sign on their window. Just choose an area you like, put on your walking shoes, top up your credit on your cell, and go for a walk Smile

Otherwise, try Ospina. They have a free search tool online.

Yeah that is a good way to find places as well.
Enrico Palazo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Danger Zone Reply with quote

So how dangerous is it in Bogot�? I know that it's different than the countryside, but I keep reading about how FARC and kidnappings are problems once again.
travelNick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidnappings in Bogota happen on a "short-term" basis. That's to say that it means it's small groups of organised criminals looking to blackmail a rich local businessman/family for money.

The problem with safety is theft. Any time of day and in any part of the city. They can be violent. Cellphones, laptops, and recently withdrawn money are the main targets of theives, who are always armed.

Common assault, in my experience, is not common.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Bogota, the FARC is definitely not your problem. Petty crime is so rampant that you should definitely rethink what pockets your stuff is in when you leave the house and what caliber of cell phone you're carrying. It sounds ridiculous like nobody would put up with that, but its fairly standard procedure and everybody does it, colombian and foreigner alike. That being said, I never was robbed in the 8 months I was there.

If that's something that might scare you off from coming to Colombia, don't let it. It's a beautiful place with wonderful people and I did not meet a foreigner in Colombia who did not rave about their time in country. I'm home now, but planning a longer return trip as soon as I can.
Woodman09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Non Celta at IH Reply with quote

Actually I have been Working at IH for a while and know of 2 teachers without Celtas.

I think that if they have the work and think you can do it they will hire you.

The Volunteer experience is a plus-- I'd definitely try to get a letter of recommendation from the school

CELTA holders are preferred though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: