Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a Cambridge ESOL approved Teacher Trainer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimJam

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: What is a Cambridge ESOL approved Teacher Trainer? Reply with quote

I saw a job advert this week asking for Cambridge ESOL approved teacher trainers. What does it mean to be "Cambridge ESOL approved"?

Does it just mean having a diploma level qualification? Or do you have to do some kind of "coordination" with the people at Cambridge ESOL?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it could be something to do with their ESOL exams (i.e. PET, FCE etc). Maybe you need to be approved to be an (oral) examiner in these exams in order to train other teachers. Getting this approval also involves "co-ordination" (i.e. a training session) then "standardisation" (where you actually mark students doing the exams) so you're up to their standards. You'd need to do this every year to be up-to-date as an examiner. To find out more, contact the Uni of Cambridge representative in your country to find out where the nearest training centres are.

I wasn't aware that Cambridge ran any other courses for teacher-trainers, but I could be wrong.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it might have something with taking the DELTA and training with them to be a trainer. Often these training sessions are done just for in-house teachers.
Kofola

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Another possibility (depending on the context which the advert was in) is that in the UK in order to become a teacher trainer you either need a DELTA or an MA with a teaching practice component. Perhaps this is what is being referred to?

Hope it helps.
JimJam

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your responses. I suspect that if the combined minds of Dave's ESL Cafe can't come up with a meaning for this there probably isn't one.

Just a bit of good old fashioned BS to make the advert stand out...
lodzubelieveit

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cambridge ESOL approved teacher trainer is someone who has gone through and passed a process of becoming a CELTA trainer, e.g. by working at a school alongside people doing CELTAs and completing various tasks and having their own sessions observed and assessed, all moderated by Cambridge. It has nothing to do with the Speaking Examiner process, which is open to a much wider cross section of the TEFL community.
desertdust

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about this on my Celta course. Apparently you must have at least 2+ years post-Celta experience and have completed your Delta to become a teacher trainer. To do the teacher trainer course is very demanding. It is not something I would like to do as you must be able to answer nearly every question possible concerning English grammar amongst other things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: