Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Arnold Schwarzenegger Reply with quote

Arnold cheated on his wife Maria. He had a secret sexual affair with a housekeeper named Mildred.

Maria and Mildred!

Both were pregnant at the same time in 1997. Both gave birth just days of each other.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1388408/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-love-child-picture-revealed-Mildred-Baenas-son.html

Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Actually, I kinda liked Arnold as a politician.
IMO, work and personal stuff are really two separate issues when it comes to judging a politician (or manager or coworker).
Personal problems are between those people directly affected.

So, well, doesn't really change my opinion of Arnold. He's not stellar, but at least OK.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least, Tiger Woods had affairs with attractive young ladies.

Come on, Arnold....

Confused
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Mildred as unattractive as her name? Poor dear. Perhaps he was sorry for her. Shocked

C'mon Captain - the appearance of the woman isn't really relevant, is it??

On a more practical (rather than current eventual) aspect of this discussion:

Sensitivity to physical appearance can be quite problematic in an ESL/EFL classroom, obviously. It's really best to try to cultivate a pretty high level of indifference to people's looks during class - and during courses. So long as the 'pretty young lady' is your student, it's never really kosher to consider her looks for more than a second or two at most.

After the student/teacher relationship has ended, different story.

Not to imply that you'd be guilty of this, Cap, just speaking in general as you brought up the attractiveness issue: it brought this potential classroom problem to mind.

Back to the current event aspect: probably employer/employee relationship poses similar problems to a classroom!

Rap Arnold's knuckles, teacher! Dunce cap on head, to the corner with you!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Sensitivity to physical appearance can be quite problematic in an ESL/EFL classroom, obviously. It's really best to try to cultivate a pretty high level of indifference to people's looks during class - and during courses. So long as the 'pretty young lady' is your student, it's never really kosher to consider her looks for more than a second or two at most.

!

Absolutely! But I find I lose all self-restraint after the first morning hip-flask has been consumed, hic!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Was Mildred as unattractive as her name? Poor dear. Perhaps he was sorry for her. Shocked

C'mon Captain - the appearance of the woman isn't really relevant, is it??

It is relevant because people are wondering why.

Why was Arnold willing to destroy his marriage and devastate his family? And for what?

The wife of Tiger Woods was a gorgeous Swedish model. The women, he reportedly had affairs with, were as young and beautiful as his wife. (Just google images of Jamie Grubb and Raychel Coudriet.)

People are shocked at Arnold. But not so much at Tiger.

Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

On the contrary, I'd say that Tiger's affairs were more shocking to most people. The reason - well, Tiger had the public image of a "good guy / straight arrow" whereas Arnold had the reputation of being a womanizer long before the current disclosure.

Regards,
John
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree that Tiger's transgressions were rather out of left field, in light of his reputation.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definite other-side-of-the-Atlantic puritanical feel to these shocked feelings. Wouldn't raise an eyebrow in Europe. Be it IMF heads or film directors, never mind mere sportsmen. If I were to be in the papers every time I was caught in flagrante delicto, I'd never be out of them...
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't raise an eyebrow in Europe. Be it IMF heads or film directors...

Unfortunately perhaps not in France if some of the comments I've heard and read are anything to go by. I don't know how widespread these attitudes are but it seems little distinction is being made between extramarital affairs and (a claim of) sexual assault. Comments about puritanical America and how when it's anything to do with "sex" it will never be let go of are disturbing. The implications I took from all this were that attacking a maid was really no big deal and no-one would've worried about it too much in France. Unbelievable!

Perhaps the words for "consensual" and "coercive" are one and the same in French.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to withhold judgement on the maid and the IMF chief. She may have been the totally innocent, injured party - or she may have been a set-up artist.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, but what I take issue with is the way that these subjects are currently being discussed in France, regardless of whether he�s guilty or not.

This woman might easily be a set-up - (though why take him down at this particular stage?) � who can say? But bracketing the issue of sexual assault with someone just having a bit of consensual fun on the side is distasteful to say the least. Whatever people�s views are on the rights and wrongs of cheating on a partner and damaging the family, let�s just be clear about what�s coercive and abusive. From what I read or heard, the French people who were asked for their opinions suggested it was a political set-up but over and above that, implied it wasn't really a big deal one way or another. It had only proved to be problematic for the IMF Chief as he was caught in puritanical America.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But bracketing the issue of sexual assault with someone just having a bit of consensual fun on the side is distasteful to say the least

Entirely agreed.

Perhaps Arnold should consider running for the French presidency. He probably could use a change of scene Cool
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (or betrayed)...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_18131408?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1

Maria Shriver's Revenge Twisted Evil
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunh? I always assumed Arnold was doing the hanky panky. Not surprised in the least. But his timing does surprise me. He must have had it up all that day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: