Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End(s) of the World
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed a massage, a movie and a delicious dinner.

The end of the world never felt so good!

Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to all still be here Shocked
The ultimate test: I'll call my parents in a couple of hours (after church, their time zone). If they answer - it definitely didn't happen!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
We seem to all still be here Shocked
The ultimate test: I'll call my parents in a couple of hours (after church, their time zone). If they answer - it definitely didn't happen!

Maybe it did happen. Maybe the world did end.

And we are living in Purgatory right now.

Shocked
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyah. Definitive proof: my parents are still earth-bound. They would certainly be with Jesus by now if the Rapture had occurred.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Nyah. Definitive proof: my parents are still earth-bound. They would certainly be with Jesus by now if the Rapture had occurred.

But does anyone really know who would be among the saved if the Rapture ever did occur? No disrespect toward your parents intended, of course, spiral.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jesus wants anyone with him right away, Rapture-style, my Baptist-missionary parents would certainly be included. I'm not being anything but respectful - they have really lived the teachings (as Baptists understand them) for the past 50 years.

You can't be suggesting that Baptists might be

wrong?! Shocked
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Isla Guapa,

Who will be saved -The Elect
God's Chosen People

To the Christians dispersed among the nations Peter writes: "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy" (1 Peter 2:9,10).

What a privilege it is to be God's chosen people. "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, and the people whom He has chosen as His own inheritance" (Psalm 33:12). On the last day, only God's elect will be saved: "And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other" (Matthew 24:31 // Mark 13:27).

The concept of God's chosen people is first found in the Old Testament. God chose Israel as His special people. "And because He loved your fathers, therefore He chose their descendants after them; and He brought you out of Egypt with His Presence, with His mighty power" (Deuteronomy 4:37). "For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth" (Deuteronomy 7:6 // Deuteronomy 14:2).

"But you, Israel, are My servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, The descendants of Abraham My friend. You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, And called from its farthest regions, And said to you, 'You are My servant, I have chosen you and have not cast you away; Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand'" (Isaiah 41:8-11).

Who are God's chosen people now? Jesus warned: "Many are called, but few are chosen" (Matthew 22:14 // Matthew 20:16).

Now that the promised Messiah has come, God's chosen people are they who accept Him as Lord and Savior: "For Moses truly said to the fathers, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. And it shall come to pass that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people'" (Acts 3:22,23). "Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work. What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were hardened" (Romans 11:5-7).

The election is no longer based on physical lineage, but on one's relationship with the Messiah: "He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful" (Revelation 17:14).

The election of physical Israel was but a sign of a higher spiritual election on the basis, not of the lineage of Abraham, but of the faith of Abraham. This was God's plan even before the creation of the world. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved" (Ephesians 1:3-6).

As Peter says in the salutation of his first letter, this election in Christ is based on the foreknowledge of God: "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied" (1 Peter 1:1,2).

Paul explains this more fully in his letter to the Romans. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us" (Romans 8:28-34).

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do" (Colossians 3:12,13)."

http://www.oldpaths.com/archive/davison/roy/allen/1940/elect.html

See you in hell.
Very Happy

Regards,
John the Non-elected
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear. And I don't do well in hot weather. Do you think the Heat of the Damned is perhaps a dry heat? That would make it a little easier for me to deal with Wink .

According to current Christian dogma, are all Jews doomed? Don't good behavior or intentions count for anything?
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't anyone on this thread ever watch an episode of Lost?

The end of the world really did happen on Saturday. There was a global earthquake or catastrophe which killed billions of people.

We are all in Purgatory right now. That's right...the entire human race.

But no one believes it. That's because Purgatory is an exact replica of our former world. It is worse but in subtle ways.

After all, ESL teaching is a form of Purgatory. Isn't it?

Surprised
Insubordination

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- they have really lived the teachings (as Baptists understand them) for the past 50 years.

Does this mean they wouldn't let Kevin Bacon dance?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. Me, either Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: