Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marrying a Cambodian girl : in-laws advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pressdan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Marry Cam Girl Reply with quote

I'm new to Dave's ESL Cafe, so I hope this post gets to you.

Clearly, many of the posts are cruel...that's the way some people are.

As an old guy that has lived in Southeast Asian and is married to a Southeast Asian woman for many years perhaps my experience might be helpful.

The posts about Asian families taking priority are quite true. You'll have to learn, as I did, that her family will put a lot of pressure on her, thus they will often take president over you and even your children.

There will always be unrelenting pressure on her from her family, its cultural.

The posts are correct, be careful about the money. I suggest moving to the US, support her in a career, my wife is an RN, keep money separate, she has her account � you have yours. She can support her family with her money, and she will. You'll need to remember, you are marrying her, not her family. She and your children are your responsibility, not her family.

As to children, I'd move back to the States ASAP. That way the children's citizenship is easier. And above all, let her family visit � but be careful about them moving in, remember the relentless pressure.
Also, as to children, beware of a tiger mom, my wife can become a tiger. Again, its cultural � they have no social safety net, so life's failures have grave consequences.

Overall, SE women make for excellent companions, they're loyal and when push comes to shove they'll submit to the man of the house. But, beware the relentless family pressure.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A member has just been banned for profanity.

Cruel and unhelpful postings will not be permitted.

Members observing inappropriate postings on this or any thread on the Cambodia forum are requested to bring it to the immediate attention of the Mod Team by Report Post or PM.

This thread is now being monitored by the Mod Team.
anbrainblasta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks pressdan,

thankfully we're out of cambodia after the wedding so well away from any potential nagging.

things have settled down over the past few months anyway. besides the difficulties with the cambodian government, corruption etc., things are looking great. we have finally recieved the green light for the marriage.

have a good one
ANB...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: