Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Argentina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Teaching in Argentina? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone is out in Central/South America or Caribbean (any Spanish-speaking countries) teaching English?

I'm looking for a reliable place to teach. I'm willing to pay for airfare but I would like a small monthly stipend to survive on, room, and if possible meals. I've been researching for months, but all the programs I've seen online are either real sketch or money-sucking voluntourism groups.

I just graduated college, basically penniless but am trying to make the most of it before heading back into more higher education and the work force.

Any information would be helpful

Thanks!
VioletaBlanca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Thirdeyeopen,

I have been living in Buenos Aires for about 2 1/2 yrs teaching EFL. Although it looks like I will be here for the long run (as I am in love with an Argentine man), if I could go back in time, I probably wouldn�t have "bet on this horse."

What I am about to write, I am not writing to scare you off, but to impart a bit of the wisdom that came with my experience here, which including more than it's fair share of growing pains and trial and error experiences.

In January 2009, I came here with an open mind, a master�s degree in ESOL, a deep love for Argentina and (most importantly) savings. It has been an unstable roller coaster ever since. In a country that has around 25% annual inflation and not-too-great employment prospects to begin with, with a lot of competition (practically every expat that I have met here is an "English teacher"), living here is very unpredictable in every sense.

Finding housing is complicated (due to the "garantia" system) unless you are paying out the nose in dollars. Especially if you are already in a weak financial situation, it�s not an advisable spot to put yourself in. To be frank, especially in the beginning to at least get set up for a few months, if your experience is anything like mine was, you�ll be hemorrhaging money that you don�t have.

I think it�s also worth mentioning that this country is getting more and more dangerous (I personally haven�t been the victim of a violent crime, but many people, both expats and locals that I know have been, especially muggings and robberies). Moreover I find it frustrating beyond belief that sometimes I can�t get to work, because cutting off the access to main roads, highways, and bridges in the name of "manifestaciones" (protests) is practically a national past time here.

I don�t mean to be a Debbie Downer. I still love my host country (I think), but frankly, Buenos Aires is not a practical place to get your ESL/EFL start.

Suerte.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, violeta, thanks for the post. It sounds very similar to what I've heard from other regarding teaching in Argentina - neat place to visit and live, terrible place to work. I'm pretty sure you'd do a lot better financially in Colombia, but I suspect Colombia is less developed and more dangerous.
thirdeyeopen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Violeta,

Some have suggested to read up on other topics on forums but many of them are outdated so thank you for sharing.

The fact that you stressed savings is very important; that is very good to know. I didn't know that Argentina could be as unpredictable to live in as you described.

In summer of 2009, I studied Spanish in U of Belgrano with a wealthy family in Belgrano. What is the garantia system?

I am aware that BsAs is dangerous at times. I wonder how during the month I lived there, I never saw the manifestaciones!

But thank you for sharing such detailed information. I was thinking about going back just because I do have some idea of the city, didn't feel like I got to see as much of Argentina as I wanted, and I have my host mother there.

Perhaps I'll consider Colombia.

I posted here because I was trying to get direct connections and contacts with anyone who is/was abroad teaching English.
SamanthaLeigh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about other cities/provinces? I've heard a lot of somewhat negative things about BsAs, but not a lot about other cities. My manfriend and I are leaving in a month for Mendoza. Any info about the teaching/financial climate there? Also, do the same housing rules apply? Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Argentina? Reply with quote

thirdeyeopen wrote:
I just graduated college, basically penniless but am trying to make the most of it before heading back into more higher education and the work force.

Any information would be helpful

one of my best friend just spent two years in Argentina, from Jan 2009 to Dec 2010. She said that prices went up a lot over the two years she was there. In general, Latin America isn't the best place to go to to save money. And I wouldn't advice you coming penniless, at leaset have a couple thousand just in case.

You can live wellin Latin america, for the most part, but saving is hard.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned!

I was thinking of going to 'Latin America' and especially Argentina..........but it looks like Argentina is out of the question Crying or Very sad
I did wonder why there never seems to be any job postings for Argentina.... (I've only ever seen one).
ABS77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Argentina Reply with quote

Hi VioletaBlanca,

Just read your post. Very interesting and informative. If Buenos Aires is so problematic where else in Argentina is more realistic for a rookie TEFL teacher? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

ABS77.
VioletaBlanca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ABS77,

I am not really familiar with other cities/provinces of Argentina, but I imagine that if you get your start outside of Capital Federal, you will have a better shot at being successful.

Buenos Aires City (especially places like Palermo and Recoleta) is a hotspot for gringos/expats. There is a lot of competition in ESL teaching due to the foreign, English-speaking population. However, I imagine that if you go to another part of the country, you will be more of a novelty, and more in demand, especially as a native English speaker.

I hope that this helps!!! Smile
Enrico Palazo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: BA Reply with quote

I didn't realize that BA was such a bad idea. I kind of had my heart set on going there next school year. Even if you get a job with Search Associates or maybe through the conference at UNI, it's still a bad idea?
leweiss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have my heart set on Argentina... recent college grad, will have probably $2000 in savings... I know there are problems in BA, but I'm thinking that if it doesn't work out there I can go to Montevideo or to C�rdoba, Argentina. I hear nice things about it there.
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: How about Bariloche? Reply with quote

Anyone working in Bariloche?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good starting point in Argentina might be one of the numerous binational centers, most of which are located outside of Buenos Aires.

http://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/usia/E-USIA/education/engteaching/eal-elp1.htm#Arg-bnc
Ellenita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Consider Salta, Argentina! Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm currently teaching English out here in Salta, Argentina.
It's great here, but as with the whole country, cost of living is high. It's really important to know that inflation is high here and prices change on a weekly basis. Your salary, however, will only increase annually, if at all, so wages do not reflect the rate of inflation. Living costs are high and the average English teacher will have to budget.

I am currently working at a private English institute earning AR$ 87 an hour on a 20 hour week. With my boyfriend earning about the same, it's just enough for us to pay for rent, food and have one 'luxury' a month - for example, to make a short weekend trip, or to buy some clothes, or to go out for a meal or two, ... or to pay for an extension on our visas (don't expect to get a proper working visa sorted here).
So bear in mind that living as a couple, we are sharing a lot of living costs so it's easier than if we were living here alone.

As we love travelling, we would love to go away and visit a bit more at the weekends, but, apart from that, we love it here! As long as we keep track of our spending, we can manage just fine. We saved up a lot of money before we came, so we can use that if we want to travel a bit more...particularly, to get down to Patagonia, which is a must.

I've made a website giving information about living and teaching English in South America and I'm in the process of updating the Argentina section. Please have a look if you're interested: http://www.theminiexplorer.com/argentina/living-and-teaching-in-salta-argentina/
Thanks Smile
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Ellenita! As I recall, you and your boyfriend were doing CELTA in Ecuador just six-months or so ago, correct? Glad to hear that that things are going well and you two are living the dream. Please continue to keep us updated on your adventures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: