Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Colombia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
I'd be VERY curious to know what school your friend is at. ONly intl schools pay like that and with no experience or quals he wouldn't get it.

I believe the school is called Colegio Alpamayo. I don�t know too much else beyond that.

I'm familiar with that school. I did workshops there and talked to other teachers. they're Opus Dei just like my uni was in Peru. Alpamayo is for guys, Salcantay for girls.

I think your friend might be quoting you in soles. Alpamayo is in Ate and though it's a private, religious school, the teachers there (when I talked to them) were making less than we were at VC and SP in La Molina.

Unless they've highly upped their salaries, if they have, congrats to your friend!
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="naturegirl321"]
windowlicker wrote:

I think your friend might be quoting you in soles. Alpamayo is in Ate and though it's a private, religious school, the teachers there (when I talked to them) were making less than we were at VC and SP in La Molina.

Unless they've highly upped their salaries, if they have, congrats to your friend!

I had to re-read the message he sent, because I thought he was quoting in soles at first, too. He was definitely talking in dollars though. I would imagine that it is also the before tax salary.

From what he said, it sounds like the school probably has upped their salaries recently as a result of the recent economic growth in Peru...he went on to say that the schools in Lima are desperately trying to recruit native speakers. He said there was so much demand for bilingual education as a result of the recent economic growth that a lot of schools are having to turn away students because there isn�t enough room. Also, he claims visas have become easier to obtain and that many of the high schools are willing to provide them. I�m sure you have plenty of contacts still in Peru, so I�m not sure how all this matches up with what you�re hearing.

In any case, I suppose we�re getting a little off topic for the Colombian forum and this thread.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I'll Pm you.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windo,

what city are you in btw?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Valledupar. I left a few weeks ago and am back in the States for a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: