Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know anything about The Orange School?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottydawg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone know anything about The Orange School? Reply with quote

They are based in Warsaw, and in two other cities with about 6 or 7 sites. They have actually offered me, and I have accepted. The contract has not been enacted as of yet.

They said the work permit regulation has just changed about two weeks ago now and that they don't actually have to apply for the work permit to enable me to get a proper visa. Has anyone heard anything about this? I know that colleges and universities have not had to do a work permit--just a letter from the Rector.

I'm told my 4000 salary will yield about 2800 after tax and insurance. Is this starvation wages in Warsaw? I will go when my visa is processed--I'm guessing arrival near the end of May.

Thanks. Very Happy
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is that they are almost telling the truth on work permits. The law did change on March 11th. And pretty much nobody really knows what they are doing right now. The best information that we've had (from lawyers who have personally read the law) is that altho' there is no longer a need to get a work permit the school still needs to get permission to employ a foreigner (which used to be step one in the work permit process).

The bad news is that those wages are a complete joke. Tax should be 16% (on a contract based on an umowa dzielo). Insurance shouldn't be paid at all on that type of contract. So your total deductions should be 16%. You should be looking for a contract which pay you at least 45 zloty (gross) per 45 minute class taught. So for a standard teaching load of 24 45 minute classes about 5000 zloty per month. Less 16% deductions. 2800 is the lowest wage I have ever heard of being offered in Warsaw. You won't starve on that but you won't have a good life. A very basic one room apartment within 30 minutes of the Orange school will cost you 1200 zloty plus phone bill. I sure wouldn't want to try and live on 300 zloty a week!

The only reason for taking this job is if you have nothing to do back home until September (when the good jobs start) and the school offer you guaranteed work over the summer. Then you'll be here in September and can go round the decent schools interviewing for a real job.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I lived in Sosnowiec where they opened up their second school at Easter time last year. We (us expats) got to know the guy (Henk?) who was running the show until their numbers went up and they had a native speaker working for them.

We all knew about what the working conditions were. Basically, you don't teach--you do 1 on 1 conversations whenever a student comes in who wants it. At least that's what I understood. And you have to be at the school 40 hours a week. Not teaching most of that time, mind you, but still, you didn't have much time to have privates. Also, I believe you were required to work 2 Saturdays a month.

But why didn't any of us go over to them from our at that time present jobs? Because the pay, even for Sosnowiec, was pretty bad, considering that 1 block away was a really good-paying school and you go nothing extra (apt, bonus, etc). In Sosnowiec, you could live on that money--rents are around 600-800/month in the center. BUT, you could make quite a bit more..

Otherwise, I had some friends who studied there and absolutely loved it. They didn't have to commit to any pre-set class times--they went when they had time. It was completely self-paced. 4x on the computer and 1x conversation.

Ok, that's my .02 worth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: