Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are things improving?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Are things improving? Reply with quote

Cool
I left Indonesia four years ago, after working in Jakarta for three years.

After getting bored in Europe. I am thinking of returning to Indonesia, to work again. The problem is most of my friends have left, so I have no idea about the job situation at the moment.

Has the Job situation improved in Indonesia?. Are living costs a lot higher than four years ago?.
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are things improving? Reply with quote

reality wrote:
Cool I left Indonesia four years ago, after working in Jakarta for three years.
Has the Job situation improved in Indonesia?. Are living costs a lot higher than four years ago?.

Huh? If you're talking about TEFL jobs, they're coming out the ying-yang! Some schools are so desperate they'll hire native speakers with no TEFL or bachelors. Surprised

On the other hand prices have gone up. I have a LONELY PLANET from early 2000, and the prices tend to be twice or three times as much as listed in that book. Crying or Very sad

I live in the outskirts of Jakarta and spend roughly 2 juta a month on "Western style" living expenses. The rest I bank. If you lived right in Jakarta you'd spend more.
sidjameson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IS650. Is that for all your expenses? housing too? 2mill seems a really low amount. Air con, internet, satelite tv, how about these things? I hope you respond to my next post on the general discussion board on living costs.
Cheers
ls650

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidjameson wrote:
Is that for all your expenses? housing too? 2mill seems a really low amount. Air con, internet, satelite tv, how about these things? I hope you respond to my next post on the general discussion board on living costs.

I share a large two-story house with 4 other teachers. We pay about 650,000 Rp (about $80 US) each per month for rent and utilities. That includes electric, cable TV, water, maid service, etc. and each bedroom has AC.

I have dial-up (can't get broadband where I live) and that's about 10,000 Rp per hour. I usually use the local internet cafe for about 5000 an hour.

I spend maybe another 500,000 a month on food and drink in the house. I eat well, but don't drink a lot of booze - maybe a few cans of beer a week. In addition I usually blow about say another million on restaurants, music, VCDs, clothes, and western luxuries.
reality

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Living costs Reply with quote

Cool
Living costs still sound low. I remember I used to spend at least 1 Million a month on Taxis to and from contracts.

My monthy rental was about 500.000/800.000 per month, for an AC Kost with sat TV in the Karat Kuningan area. Going out, you could easily blow 100.000 to 150.000 in an expat style bar, not drinking much.

Being relatively single, I never liked the idea of putting down a years rent in advance for a house, plus furniture.

Have salaries changed. I used to earn around 90.000 per hour for General English classes, and around 125.000 per hour for business
classes. Have salaries changed?.
ls650

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Living costs Reply with quote

reality wrote:
I used to earn around 90.000 per hour for General English classes, and around 125.000 per hour for business
classes. Have salaries changed?.

I'm working under a 1-year contract with monthly pay, so it's hard for me to say. I do get paid about 75,000 Rp per hour for overtime.
reality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Contracts Reply with quote

Cool
Is getting a contract reasonably easy?.

Last time in Jakarta, a lot of schools prefered not to put people on contract, because of the expense of the work Visa.

I was lucky as I was on contract, but many teachers I knew freelanced
or where on three month business visas through ILP.

I noticed EF advertise a lot, but the more established schools like ILP, EEC and IALF don't. Do they still recruit for overseas based Teachers
or have enough Teachers locally to recruit from?.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Contracts Reply with quote

reality wrote:
Cool Is getting a contract reasonably easy?.

I can only speak for my school - but I think it's very easy to get a contract here. The schools are hurting for native speakers because people have been scared away by the bombings in Bali and at the Mariott.
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Indo in January last year, but prices went up a lot in the time I was there. My wife went back in February and she noticed quite a difference in the 7 months she'd been away. It seems to be an ongoing problem! It's hard for the locals. At least teaching salaries seem to increase from time to time anyway. Things aren't as good as they apparently were ten years ago though......
willy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dirt on ILP is not good pm me for more on that.

I was in Jakarta until jan. Taxi across town will set you back 30-50,000 and that kost is about 1-2.5mil now I put out for a house 2.5 but very big, worth it for me.

My costs were about 7-10 mil for me and my wife hourly is 110,000 from ILP 200,000 for privets.
Chester

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Cost of Living Reply with quote

I would agree with "Willy" re costs. Sure if you want a "boarding house" style of accommodation its cheaper, but no one I know has saved money just from teaching. If you live like a native and have no social life just to save money, whats the point in being here? Teaching / baby-sitting for EF for 6 mill per month? geez how humiliating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: