Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans teaching in Spain/Portugal, Online TEFL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
subjectac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Americans teaching in Spain/Portugal, Online TEFL? Reply with quote

My friend and I, Americans, want to teach in Spain or Portugal. I have found that it would be best to enter either the CELTA or go through a TEFL course but we really don't have the time or money. I was curious if an Online TEFL course would be of some use in this case or if we would be just as likelly to get a job without one as we look when we arive. Also I was curious if anyone has experience in the two countries and if finding a job in the big cities is of the same difficulty between the two. Thank You Smile
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have the time or money to learn how to teach then why do you expect people to waste their time and money on 'lessons' with you?

To answer your question: most online courses are almost worthless. So are most of the 5 day courses. One such example is the teachandtravel.con course which takes three evenings and two full days. You get extra credit after the course for reading books which are madatory pre-course reading for a CELTA.
subjectac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the response MR. Shulgin, its just that I have heard of many if not most the students I have heard of found jobs with no training at all teaching English in Spain. If this is not something your familiar with you need not respond to this. Otherwise if you have any experience or knowledge in this area, good or bad, it would be appreciated.
ChicagoCubMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently completed the i-to-i Online TEFL course and found it a lot more rigorous than I had expected. Certainly, you'll want to be studying on your own as well (I spent a lot of time in the ESL section of the library during the month it took me to do the course) in order to get the most out of an online course. You may also want to see whether you can observe an ESL course or two at a local language school or community college to see in action the things you'll be learning online (the i-to-i course includes a unit wherein you view a class on a CD-ROM).

If you're considering Portugal, Wall Street Institutes are located up and down the country, with several in the Lisbon area. You see ads for them all the time in Portugal, so they may be a good place to apply.

As for Alex's comments, it's always been my experience that fair and balanced are usually most obvious in their absence; take that for what it's worth. It's what you do with your training that counts.
Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true that what you make of your training is what's important, but arguably there needs to be some training in the first place. I think Alex Shulgin made a fair comment, if a little brutally. Of more concern to the OP, I would argue, is whether or not they can work legally in Spain, Portugal, or indeed any European country. If they cannot, then the question of whether to invest in a CELTA in order to secure a better job is a moot point -- schools willing to hire illegally are not generally the better ones.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

subjectac wrote:
I appreciate the response MR. Shulgin, its just that I have heard of many if not most the students I have heard of found jobs with no training at all teaching English in Spain. If this is not something your familiar with you need not respond to this. Otherwise if you have any experience or knowledge in this area, good or bad, it would be appreciated.

I have had more than enough experience of 'teachers' with no qualifications, no training and no idea how to teach EFL. If you don't know how to teach then what gives you the right to sell your teaching ability to customers? Are you planning to tell your prospective students "I have no idea how to teach and the only training I've ever had was a three day course/ a few exercises done over the internet."? If you are then you'd better prepare to starve, nobody is going to pay you to teach them if you tell them the truth about your skills.
ChicagoCubMike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know what makes you the judge of someone's qualifications. Last time I checked it was the school where you apply to teach that does that. There are plenty of teachers out there who are well qualified on paper but who aren't very good in the classroom. Perhaps, Alex, you've seen folks with Internet certs get jobs that you wanted to get yourself? I know my Internet cert. beats the I-don't-care-anymore teaching skills of a longtime instructor at my school.

With your hounding, I'm-right-you're-wrong-and-I'm-better-anyway attitude, I really wonder how good (or bad) an experience it must be to be one of your students? Because at least from your posts, you really seem like someone who opens his mouth first, and then, if at all, thinks about the meaning--and effect on others--of his words afterward.

Given that choice, I think I'd take the Portuguese class next door.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoCubMike wrote:
I really don't know what makes you the judge of someone's qualifications. Last time I checked it was the school where you apply to teach that does that. There are plenty of teachers out there who are well qualified on paper but who aren't very good in the classroom. Perhaps, Alex, you've seen folks with Internet certs get jobs that you wanted to get yourself? I know my Internet cert. beats the I-don't-care-anymore teaching skills of a longtime instructor at my school.

With your hounding, I'm-right-you're-wrong-and-I'm-better-anyway attitude, I really wonder how good (or bad) an experience it must be to be one of your students? Because at least from your posts, you really seem like someone who opens his mouth first, and then, if at all, thinks about the meaning--and effect on others--of his words afterward..

Lose a job to an internet cert holder? Please. The only schools that I would even consider teaching at require at least a 4 week full time on-site certificate. Partly because they want teachers who at least have some clue what they are doing and partly because work permits are not given to people who can not prove their 'expert' status. A diploma mill cert won't cut it with immigration here.

Last time I checked the people who really make the decisions about the qualifications of the teacher are the students who pay the school. Do you think that the school tells prospective students "Your teacher has never taught a single class before and has no training whatsoever apart from a few exercises done online"? Or do they sell you to the students as a "fully qualified, experienced native speaker teacher"? Gee, I wonder....

One of the things about being a teacher is that you have to recognise when you are right and the other person is wrong. Somebody wants to use the past participle of a verb in the zero conditional where both clauses are active? Sorry but they are wrong. Somebody thinks that being a native speaker of English entitles them to charge money for 'lessons'? Sorry but they are wrong.

I'm not better than you. I have got better qualifications and more experience with you. But you could get both those things if you wanted to bother. As for the meaning of my words: they are intended to make people either get trained to teach or to just save money to fund their backpacking.
ChicagoCubMike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Alex. Before you take such a holier-than-thou attitude, I'd run my posts through a grammar-checker first.
Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I hear "handbags at fifty paces"? Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world of EFL is full of people making judgements.

And I too often make judgements. If some monoglot with no training or experience wants to be hired at my place, I make a judgement too. The answer is NO !

And I do not say "No, thanks !"

Some of us old-timers do not take too kindly to newcomers with zero experience telling us the way it should be in a perfect world.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoCubMike wrote:
Honestly, Alex. Before you take such a holier-than-thou attitude, I'd run my posts through a grammar-checker first.

Thanks for that Mike. Good to see that your three days of teaching experience have given you such a wonderful command of grammar. You didn't answer my question about how you are sold to your students. Do they know that you have half a week of experience and attended a total of zero classes on how to teach EFL? Why don't you tell them?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me this exchange is like many on this website. Someone posts a question, gets an answer he doesn't like, and then goes postal.

Newbie :I am a sixteen-year-old vegetarian. Can I go and work in Carnivoria ?

Oldie :No, you are too young and it is only for carnivores.

Newbie :You are nasty and horrid and you hate me and I am going to tell my Mummy !

Oldie : Ya boo to you too.

And so on ad infinitum
anthyp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to scot47 or that Shulgin clown. Apparently they go around to all the forums mocking people and generally being disruptive. I think Shulgin is a long - time poster who was banned from posting under his original name. Anyway regarding the OP it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to secure a job in Spain without a TEFL degree. You absolutely should have that before arriving in Spain to begin your job search, whether you get it from an online course or go through one of the four - week intensive courses. From what my friends have told me there, it's not terribly hard finding work in Madrid, but it's not easy to build up a full - time schedule. I don't know about Portugal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Yanks working in EU Reply with quote

And the work permit ? Pray tell how will they get that ?

Maybe you are suggesting that they go and work as "wetbacks" ?

I attempt to inject a dose of reality into a world that is full of half truths, unrealistic expecattions and hype sold by people who are making money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: