Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT Interview questions??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaysc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: HCT Interview questions?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an interview with HCT in March at TESOL 2003, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of questions they ask in the interview? Thanks in advance..
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

I have never been through the process, but from what I have heard from many friends who have, it can be a tough one. Can't tell you any particular questions, but just generally speaking:

They like people that can walk the walk and talk the talk. They are big on the Communicative approach - British mode normally - plus whatever seems to be the latest. (ie - if you are American - they will NOT be impressed if you 'brag' of your eclectic approach Smile ) They seem to be impressed by those that can quote sources and be up with the latest band wagons and theories and approaches. Look professional, dress professional. Be familiar with IELTS.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm sure that others here can help with some example questions. I do know that in the past they have asked how one would teach specific topics.
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: HCT interview Reply with quote

A word of advice, maybe try to get an interview early in the day! A few years ago, a friend had a late evening interview at the TESOL Arabia Conference, Hilton Hotel in Al-Ain. He couldn't understand most of their questions because the interviewers were slurring their words, swaying in their chairs, and looking very bleary eyed. Not from overwork, but obviously from a few too many dinner drinks. Needless to say, later when he inquired about the progress of his application, it was claimed that it must have been lost or mislaid.
sahara musafir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have an update to this advice? I'm sure there are plenty of people who have interviewed with HCT in the last 5 years. Us newbies would find it very helpful.

SM
Noor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What VS said.

In addition, be prepared to talk technology and how you use it or hope to use it in the classroom and in the management of your work. If you don't know anything about them, study up on Blackboard Vista, Sharepoint, and Smart Board and have something to say about how you might use them. If you can teach something more than English, even if you don't have credentials, be sure to let them know.

Good luck.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few discussions a year on this topic since 2003. Is this the only one that came up from a search?

Good point from Noor about bringing up other experience if you have it. When they learned that I had a strong business background, I ended up teaching accounting every semester too.

VS
sahara musafir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. I had searched other threads but only found information about the overall hiring process and being in the pool...

After continuing my search I found this link to be the most helpful discussion on interview questions.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=51342&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Start reading at the bottom of the second page. I'll be able to add some more info after my interview next week.
sahara musafir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interview came and went a month or so ago. I just remembered that I had promised to post my own update for other job seekers out there. All of the advice given in this thread and the other that I linked to are pretty accurate. The one additional comment I must make is that the questions relating to teaching were 100% behavioral. This is the type of question that predicts future performance by past behavior. They wanted concrete examples with places and dates for when I taught students academic writing or used blackboard classroom management systems or handled a difficult situation with students... There was no room for answers with the phrase, "I would..." it all had to be "I have done ..."

It was also a video conference with major technical difficulties which cut the interview time in half and the interview panel in half as well. All and all I chalk it up to experience.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Tom Le Seelleur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be yourself, don't bullshit and stick to your principles. If you have started something, a new initiative, created a support system, been involved in independent learning, presented at conferences tell them.
The other advice is that you are as much interviewing them as they are interviewing you so make sure you take the lead in the interview as well. Ask them how HCT supports staff and students, be prepared with a question to a question - so if they ask you what technology do you use end with a question to them which means they need to provide information in return.
If you are not from the UK try to learn cockney English and use your loaf, don't pork or take em up the apples or you are brown.
Tom
scrog_420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sahara,

Here is a list of several things to remember about doing well in an HCT interview and making a good impression if you are lucky enough to get a job there.

1. It is impossible to say �paradigm� too much. They love this word. Try to work it into every conversation.

2. The same is true of �metacognitive�, so be sure to speak frequently of �metacognitive paradigms�.

3. Use the work �action� a lot. At HCT it�s never enough to have a plan. It must be an �action plan�.

4. People at HCT have been known to chant �It�s better to be a guide on the side than a sage on the stage� during the meetings that they hold several times a day. The reason for this is that everything that every teacher does in every class must be �student-centered�. Be prepared to explain how you are a �student-centered� teacher. Let no one doubt that you despise �teacher-centered� teachers because colleagues who don�t like you or supervisors who need an excuse to justify not renewing your contract because they don�t like you will charge you with being �teacher-centered�. Since no one can really define what student-centered teaching is (other than putting the students in groups as much as possible so that they can blabber endlessly about cars, perfume and mobile telephones) and since even the best teacher must occasionally speak in class, it�s impossible to defend yourself against this charge. Once you are accused of being a teacher-centered teacher, you are doomed. It�s all over. That�s the kiss of death. There is only one thing to do�update your resume and start looking for another job. (You may wish to study the Salem Witch Trials for examples of how, in desperation, to defend yourself against absurd charges by vindictive HCT supervisors and colleagues which are impossible to disprove.)

5. Remember, you are not a �teacher� but a �facilitator�, and "students" are not "students" but "customers", and you better believe, at HTC the customer is always right! There are no bad students, only bad teachers. Doh! I mean there are no bad customers, only bad facilitators.

6. To succeed at HCT, you must embrace, you must love, you must worship technology. Remember, there is no such thing as too much educational technology. Remember that nothing counts if you cannot put an �e-� in front of it. Speak frequently, therefore, of �e-action plans� and �e-metacognitive paradigms�. Even better, speak of your �e-action plan to create e-student-centered e-metacognitive paradigms�.

7. Try to use as much educational jargon as possible. If you work a bit into an interview or discussion, those listening will be impressed because they will assume you know what it means and won�t dare reveal that they don�t by asking what it means. You should speak frequently of the need to

� generate collaborative objectives
� aggregate outcome-based paradigms
� enable inquiry-centered schemas
� cultivate technology-enhanced interfaces
� exploit integrated technologies
� recontextualize intuitive functionalities
� deploy open-ended problem solving
� disintermediate bottom-up technologies
� extend proactive facilitators
� repurpose collaborative paradigms
� empower competency-based life-long learning
� unleash mastery-focused functionalities
� strategize group-based curriculum compacting
� disintermediate thematic mastery learning
� optimize learning-intensive outcomes
� synergize research-based multiple intelligences
� engineer metacognitive differentiated lessons
� recontextualize technology-enhanced multiple intelligences

And finally, here is the crown jewel of educational jargon (use with caution--it's very powerful): �facilitate metacognitive student-centered paradigms�. Keep this in reserve for when you are attempting to persuade your accusers that you are not a teacher-centered teacher in the vain hope that they will renew your contract after all.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

P.S. It always helps to use proper grammar in an interview, so perhaps you should say "We newbies would find it very helpful" rather than "Us newbies would find it very helpful".

Last edited by scrog_420 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
metsgirl720

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had an interview with the HCT, but I have been sitting in education classes for the past 8 years and have been through school district interviews. One of the newest trends in education is using research based practices to drive and plan lessons. Also, there is a big push in using assessment, oh yes especially electronically, to guide your lessons. Talk about real life content based lessons that are revelant and hands on. And last but not least my district favorite is planning with your team and other instructors in order to plan lessons both vertically and horizantly in order to facilitate lessons that will improve metacognition and learning...wow hope I got in all of those education words in. Not sure if this will help, but I do know that these have become huge in current education.
MrScaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Scrog, that post was hilarious!!!
I worked with the HCT and can verify their obsession with student-centered e-technology... I'll be sure to save the bulleted list for future use, hahaha.
Thanks for a good laugh! Laughing
MrS
like2answer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrog - very, very true and funny, but you forgot one thing.

At HCT the students are called customers, not students.
scrog_420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like2answer wrote:
At HCT the students are called customers, not students.

Yes, thanks. I forgot. I'll make that correction now.
Green Acres

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny post. I think I will send in an application with just those bullet points and see how far it goes. What a laugher...and i totally see it too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: