Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why more Americans don't travel abroad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
You Americans are being a little hard on yourselves.

True, but this thread started with a news article about why Americans don't travel abroad.

To be fair, I have met lots of Japanese who know virtually nothing about the rest of the world save for clunky stereotypes through Hollywood. All Americans are fat, have guns and live in big houses.

Some Japanese are surprised that foreigners speak languages other than English. They speak English to Brazilians and are puzzled as to why the "foreigners" don't understand.

At the post office I have had to give mini geography lessons. Australia, not Austria. Yes, they are separate countries. No, Australia isn't in Europe. And so on.

Ignorance is not limited to the US.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians are also told from a young age that Russia is the best country in the world, in fact, so are the citizens of many countries. That doesn't seem to stop them from going abroad. Is it that Americans are a bit dimmer than the citizens of Russia and have failed to realise they are not number 1?

tongue and cheak.

best country in the world is a 'relative' concept and what is best for one might not be for another. I am glad for yanks that they love their country so much. I imagine it is a pleasurable feeling.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia IS the best country in the world! Slava!!
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ancient_dweller wrote:
Is it that Americans are a bit dimmer than the citizens of Russia and have failed to realise they are not number 1?

tongue and cheak.

Ambrose Bierce in The Devil's Dictionary defines egoist as:

a fool more interested in himself than in me.

Back to the OT. Much of the arrogance/ignorance comes from the fact that the US is actually #1 in many ways. (And was #1 for a long time in other ways)

Some of the self-hatred of some Americans about such things reminds me of the self-hating Jews who become comedians and complain constantly about themselves. It takes a bit of arrogance to assume anyone will listen to you in the first place.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear steki47,

"Some of the self-hatred of some Americans about such things . . ."

It's difficult to see how it could be called "self-hatred" when Americans who talk/write about such things (as the ones on this thread have) are usually NOT talking about themselves; they're talking about OTHER Americans.

I wouldn't call it self-hatred to recognize that some/many of your fellow citizens are not perfect, but I'd call it I'd call it selective cultural blindness and jingoism to think that they (and you) are faultless.

Regards,
John
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Russia IS the best country in the world! Slava!!

No, comrade.

Philippines IS the best country in the world! Sugod, mga kapatid!!

Razz
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sasha and Captain_Fil,

You guys have heard of the difference between fact and opinion, right? Every country in the world is "the best" since most people reserve that appellation for their homeland (Captain_Fil being an exception. Very Happy)

Regards,
John (who lives in the best state of the best country in the world)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

Have you heard the expression "size matters"? Well, it's true. Russia is the greatest country on earth - fact!
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear steki47,

"Some of the self-hatred of some Americans about such things . . ."

It's difficult to see how it could be called "self-hatred" when Americans who talk/write about such things (as the ones on this thread have) are usually NOT talking about themselves; they're talking about OTHER Americans.

I wouldn't call it self-hatred to recognize that some/many of your fellow citizens are not perfect, but I'd call it I'd call it selective cultural blindness and jingoism to think that they (and you) are faultless.

Regards,
John

Yeah, poor word choice on my part. In fact, I am trying to find the right word to describe when one is embarrassed by the actions and attitudes of other people in your group. White guilt, for example.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be thinking about collective guilt, Steki47. Sharing a social identity/association with a group (e.g., nationality), yet feeling guilty or embarrassed by other group members' actions because you don't share those same values or beliefs. Those who strongly identify with the group, are apt to feel less guilt or shame and tend justify or make excuses for what's perceived as others' negative behavior or attitude. It's a way of dealing with unpleasant feelings instead of addressing reality. However, those at the other end of the group identity spectrum feel more guilt; there's a conflict between the self identity and that of the group.

Last edited by nomad soul on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nomad soul,

I think you've got it:

"Collective guilt is the unpleasant and often emotional reaction that results among a group of individuals when it is perceived that the group illegitimately harmed members of another group. It is often the result of �sharing a social identity with others whose actions represent a threat to the positivity of that identity�.[8] Different intergroup inequalities can result in collective guilt, such as receiving unearned benefits and privileges or inflicting more extreme forms of harm on an out-group (including genocide). Individuals are generally motivated to avoid collective guilt in order to maintain a positive social identity. There are many ways of decreasing collective guilt, such as denying harm or justifying actions. Collective guilt can also lead to positive outcomes, such as promoting intergroup reconciliation and reducing negative attitudes towards the out-group.

There are several causes of collective guilt: salient group identity, collective responsibility, and perception of unjust in-group actions. In order for an individual to experience collective guilt, he must identify himself as a part of the in-group. �This produces a perceptual shift from thinking of oneself in terms of �I� and �me� to �us� or �we�.�[8] Only when an individual is salient with the in-group can they perceive responsibility for the harmful actions of the group, past and present. In addition to in-group salience, an individual will only feel collective guilt if they view the in-group as responsible for the harmful actions done to the out-group. For instance, in two studies by the American Mosaic Project, racial inequality in the US was framed as either �Black Disadvantage� or �White Privilege�. When the term �black disadvantage� was used to describe racial inequality, white participants felt less collectively responsible for the harm done to the out-group, which lessened collective guilt. In comparison, when �white privilege� was used, white participants felt more collectively responsible for the harm done, which increased collective guilt.

Lastly, an individual has to believe the actions caused by the in-group were unjustifiable, indefensible and unforgivable. If an individual can justify the actions of the in-group, this will lessen collective guilt. Only when an individual views the in-group actions as reprehensible will that individual feel collective guilt. Collective guilt is not only a result of feeling empathy for the out-group. It can also be caused by self-conscious emotion that stems from the questioning of the morality of the in-group.

There are various methods of reducing collective guilt. Some of these methods are denying the in-group�s harmful actions, denying responsibility, claiming actions by in-group were just, focusing on positive aspects caused by the harmful action, and pointing out positive things in other areas to counterbalance the harm. First, by denying the in-group�s harmful actions, or downplaying the severity of the harm, the effect of collective guilt is lessened. If the individual or group can neglect to observe the harm caused by their actions, either consciously or unconsciously, then the individual will not feel collective guilt. If a person does not feel that the in-group is responsible for the harm caused by actions, collective guilt will be lessened. Additionally, if a person believes that only individuals are responsible for their own actions, and not a collective group, than they can deny the existence of collective responsibility, thereby reducing feelings of collective guilt. An individual can rationalize the actions of the in-group. If the individual believes that there were just reasons for the harm inflicted, collective guilt is likely to be reduced. For instance, out-group dehumanization is one effective means towards justifying the in-group�s actions. By focusing on the positive aspects of the in-group�s actions rather than the harmful effects, collective guilt can be reduced. For instance, an individual or group may choose to focus on the benefits of high levels of production and consumption, rather than on its harmful effects on the environment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilt#Collective_guilt

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it, John. Practical info back in my criminal justice days... Very Happy

Ironically, last week while at the drug store buying a few travel accessories, the cashier asked if I'd be taking a trip. When I said yes and explained that I teach English outside the US, her rather defensive response was, "What? You don't like it here?" Hmm... She really meant to say, "Get real, woman! How dare you leave the greatest country in the world just to teach some unappreciative foreigners in some godforsaken no-man's land!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Dear Johnslat

Have you heard the expression "size matters"? Well, it's true. Russia is the greatest country on earth - fact!

If size matters, why was Russia beaten by a tiny country called Afghanistan? Laughing

Philippines IS the best country in the world! Cool

The Philippines...

...has the best boxer in the world - Pacquiao!

...is a very popular destination for Western expats.

...overcame brutal occupation by three superpowers (Spain, US, Japan).

Sugod, mga kapatid!!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia was beaten? News to me. This topic seems to be a little bit of an obsession, though. Worrying...
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taunted by British colleagues about the American lack of interest in/exposure to the rest of the world, and I get a bit pissy sometimes, especially if they are the type of Brits who spend their holidays lazing on the beaches of Spain. Consider: 1) How long of a flight is it from anywhere in England to anywhere in Spain? 2) How much does it cost? And then compare flight times and prices to domestic travel within the US... That is part of the reason why some people stay home. Of course, there is that segment of the populace that is completely uninterested and just thinks America rules, but luckily my exposure to them is limited. The Americans that I know, both at home and abroad, tend to be like-minded and have similar experiences, or at least an interest in the broader world. I wouldn't last very long in a discussion with someone who held that typical small-minded view.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: