Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why more Americans don't travel abroad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Russia was beaten? News to me. This topic seems to be a little bit of an obsession, though. Worrying...

Russia, the Soviet Union...same thing, really.

Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Americans that I know, both at home and abroad, tend to be like-minded and have similar experiences, or at least an interest in the broader world.

Same here. I also have friends who would like to travel, but can't, for the reasons you gave. They, instead, tend to live through my travel experiences. I remember the time I stopped blogging about my adventures and subsequently, caught a lot of flack about it from many of my friends and former colleagues who apparently looked forward to reading my weekly writings.

In a way, some of us become cultural ambassadors, especially if we travel to countries Americans generally consider dubious or sinister. For example, last year when I announced to my US coworkers and friends that I was heading to Yemen to teach, most of the reactions weren't exactly positive. "Isn't that a terrorist country?" some asked. "Why would you go there?" Well, their tone changed once I sent them photos of Sana'a's charming, gingerbread-like houses and of smiling children. Sometimes putting a human face and story to the culture does wonders to change others' mindset away from the negative stereotyping and ethnocentric thinking.
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You might be thinking about collective guilt, Steki47.

Yes, that's it. Thanks. And thanks to Johnslat for expanding upon that.

Can't believe I forgot that term. White guilt-50% right.
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Ironically, last week while at the drug store buying a few travel accessories, the cashier asked if I'd be taking a trip. When I said yes and explained that I teach English outside the US, her rather defensive response was, "What? You don't like it here?"

I was back in the US two weeks ago visiting my sister out in a rural Mid-West town. Whenever I answered questions about Japan, the locals would say that was "weird". April is the start of the school year. "Weird."

My sister and her husband are well-educated and well-read and they battered me with really sharp questions about Japanese education, Buddhism, etc. What a difference.

Again, I have to point out that lots of my Japanese students laugh at me or say some fact about America is "weird". And don't know or care about the rest of the world.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it's something of a relief (in a way) to know that insularity and lack of curiosity about/interest in the rest of the world is probably a universal phenomenon.

I still can't fathom that mindset, though,

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
I have to point out that lots of my Japanese students laugh at me or say some fact about America is "weird". And don't know or care about the rest of the world.

No excuse for that mindset, but unlike Japan, the US is known as a nation of immigrants. The history and roots are so easily dismissed...

By the way, of all the core disciplines taught in US public schools, geography is the only one excluded from receiving federal funding under the No Child Left Behind Act. With this lack of attention and instruction, no wonder there isn't an appreciation or fair amount of knowledge about this world we live in and share.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Well, I suppose it's something of a relief (in a way) to know that insularity and lack of curiosity about/interest in the rest of the world is probably a universal phenomenon.

Regards,
John

I wouldn't say it's universal at all, Johnslat. Russians were for years not allowed out of their country, as is well known. Yet even in those days they had a serious interest in finding out about what was beyond their borders. Today, with only visa restrictions to overcome, Russians are well-travelled and well-informed, due mainly to sheer interest and curiosity.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
johnslat wrote:

Regards,
John

I wouldn't say it's universal at all, Johnslat. Russians were for years not allowed out of their country, as is well known. Yet even in those days they had a serious interest in finding out about what was beyond their borders. Today, with only visa restrictions to overcome, Russians are well-travelled and well-informed, due mainly to sheer interest and curiosity.

Is that why they had non-russians sack Berlin for them. Interesting.

I think many Americans are afraid to go yonder. Many folk be unkind to the man from the USA. Many people can't take a ribbing either. If someone puts down their country they get upset, angry, or violent. Inability to adapt is another big issue. Understanding the situation and fitting is hard for many people. Lack of understanding is the last I will mention. Many people in the US don't understand anything about other countries. This makes people afraid to go see what other places are like.

It is a really generalized idea, Americans don't go abroad enough. Money is a big issue. My mom never had a passport until last year when she went to my brothers wedding in Australia. She had to save, go in debt, for that.

It also misses all of the people who are dual citizens. Maybe they travel on their other passport. How many latinos in the states go back home?

Stats are a sociologists attempt to be a scientist.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two big reasons...

Geography: Americans can hike the Grand Canyon, camp in the Rockies, stroll through Times Square, wander around Walt Disney World, relax in Miami Beach, gamble in Las Vegas, dine in New Orleans, gaze at Niagara Falls, cruise down the Mississippi, behold Mount Rushmore, etc. There is so much to see and do in America. So why travel the world?

Economy: A road trip to another state would cost considerably less than a week in Europe or Asia.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:

Eh? Don't get that.
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Geography: Americans can hike the Grand Canyon, camp in the Rockies, stroll through Times Square, wander around Walt Disney World, relax in Miami Beach, gamble in Las Vegas, dine in New Orleans, gaze at Niagara Falls, cruise down the Mississippi, behold Mount Rushmore, etc. There is so much to see and do in America. So why travel the world?

This is very much a commonly held view in America and has a fair bit of truth behind it. However, to a lot of people it sounds a bit like saying "I've read Shakespeare, why bother with anything else", and leaves out a big part of why those people do travel (to experience other cultures--and no, I myself don't really count someone from NYC going to Miami Beach or Disneyland as doing that).

I think a lot of the time those who say this don't mean for it to come across this way, but it is how a lot of people hear it (though this is often down to their own preconceived notions that all Americans are all full of themselves and brainlessly patriotic).

Quote:
Economy: A road trip to another state would cost considerably less than a week in Europe or Asia.

No arguments here, international holidays are certainly expensive.
isabel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
There are two big reasons...

One major reason more Americans don't travel abroad- they get, at best, 2 weeks off a year. At very best.

Times Square is Disneyworld these days- you can kill many birds with a trip to Disney- spend too much money, and go to Epcot and pretend to see the rest of the world. Forget South Beach- it is too expensive for North Americans, and most people speak Spanish. People might freak out if they think they entered a Spanish speaking country.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
wangdaning wrote:

Eh? Don't get that.

OK. Just got it. Too late a night with my one true love, водка Белуга.
eurobound

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
...wander around Walt Disney World...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
isabel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurobound wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:
...wander around Walt Disney World...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey! Who says Americans don't see the world. Who needs a passport?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: