Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Offer Checklist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. If you can't prove payment of taxes in Jiangsu and Jiangxi, no bank will touch you. It was like this in 2004, and it's like this now. A lot of people in this forum will dispute this, but i have yet to meet anyone who is paid cash by a public university in either of these provinces who can honestly say that he hasn't had problems.

The situation will probably worsen as last summer's laws become enacted. Those who work for privately-owned schools seem not to have problems.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
Nope. If you can't prove payment of taxes in Jiangsu and Jiangxi, no bank will touch you. It was like this in 2004, and it's like this now. A lot of people in this forum will dispute this, but i have yet to meet anyone who is paid cash by a public university in either of these provinces who can honestly say that he hasn't had problems.

The situation will probably worsen as last summer's laws become enacted. Those who work for privately-owned schools seem not to have problems.

This may explain why you need a Chinese national to do your bank transfer in their name.
I never fully understood why I as an in credit customer at BoC with ATM card and always greeted warmly by the staff and otherwise in good standing suddenly turned into 'Mr Whothehellareyou' when I needed to pay a bill in my home country.
A little matter of unpaid tax
Laughing
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9000-10000rmb monthly at tax
6000rmb airfare bonus after contract has finished
Visa help for free
2 weeks paid professional training
Paid public holiday
Free airport pickup
Free hostel for 15days during the training

So this is the benefits of a job offer I have been given. Should there be anything I should be asking about this?

Its for a private school which is Wed-Sun and it is after school training as in 3pm - 8pm during Wed-Fri and then earlier shifts on the weekend.

Also what does at tax mean?[/b]
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get something specific on contact hours pw and how long a teaching hour is?
Admin or 'just hang around on show' hours will be additional to contact hours.
You don't get nuttin for nuttin and big pay means long hours generally.
'at tax' - don't know, unless it's 'after tax' but that's way good dough if the figures 8000/9000 are net after tax.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look and the contracted hours which are 32 hours per week.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run - that's too many especially for your fist China job!
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work almost double that back here in the UK lol
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culture component is something you won't have had experience of.
A basic 14 or 16 hours Mon to Fri for RMB5500 per month at a public tertiary plus say RMB2k pm of Saturday privates, will get you that salary with far less hassles.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaxa wrote:
9000-10000rmb monthly at tax
6000rmb airfare bonus after contract has finished
Visa help for free
2 weeks paid professional training
Paid public holiday
Free airport pickup
Free hostel for 15days during the training

So this is the benefits of a job offer I have been given. Should there be anything I should be asking about this?

Its for a private school which is Wed-Sun and it is after school training as in 3pm - 8pm during Wed-Fri and then earlier shifts on the weekend.

Also what does at tax mean?[/b]

I don't like the sound of "visa help for free". Are they providing you with the necessary documents to allow you to get a Z visa in your home country before you leave for China? If not then turn it down, they probably don't have a licence to employ foreign teachers. Do not get on a plane for China without a valid Z visa in your passport.

"Free hostel" also rings alarm bells. Free hotel, with a room of your own would be acceptable, but I would not spend 15 days in a hostel in China (or any country for that matter, but I'm not as young as I used to be). It sounds like they are either not providing you with accommodation, or not letting you move into it until after you've completed the 'training'. That could mean they're considering dumping you should you not turn out to their liking during the training. They could dump you for anything from the colour of your skin, to your inability to dance and sing the way they like it.

Are they providing accommodation? If not, which city will you be in? 9 to 10 thousand is not a lot in places like Beijing and Shanghai once you have to pay for accommodation and travel to and from the school if you can't afford to live nearby. Also it means you only have fifteen days to find somewhere to live, while also completing the 'professional training'.

I put that in quotes because I've been subjected to such training. It turned out to be mostly watching videos of the schools owner being a douche-bag. Being told over and over the importance of keeping the students and their parents happy so they will continue to subsidise said owners douchery. Being told and reminded what a marvellous opportunity the school was giving me, and being given tips on how to make the schools textbooks, which they made a lot of money selling to the students, in some way teachable. Turned out the easiest way was mostly to ignore them or work around them.

"At tax" could be a misprint of after tax, or just someone's strange way of saying before tax. Unless someone else on here knows, best to check with the school before signing. 9 to 10 thousand before tax with no paid accommodation in a 1st tier city is a very different deal to the same money with free accommodation. You'd pay around 5 to 6 hundred tax on that amount if I did my maths correctly, which is highly unlikely, so someone else may jump in and correct me.

Oh, and "Free airport pickup" is not a benefit, it's a basic human right when inviting someone to come to China and work for you. The fact that they've even listed it sounds alarm bells for me too.

Were I you, I would find out the situation regarding the Z visa ASAP, and in any case, keep looking for a job that guarantees both the Z visa, with conversion to FEC/RP on arrival, and free, single accommodation on arrival. They are out there, you just need to find them.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaxa wrote:

Yeah, but not teaching English to Chinese children you don't. Trust us when we say that spending more than 20 hours in the classroom over here will suck the life out of you quicker than a vampire sponsored by Dyson.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
Vaxa wrote:

Yeah, but not teaching English to Chinese children you don't. Trust us when we say that spending more than 20 hours in the classroom over here will suck the life out of you quicker than a vampire sponsored by Dyson.

+1
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Doogs.

So it is in Beijing the Job I have been offered.

Also no accomodation that is why they put us up in a hostel for the 15 days until we find a place I guess.

I have spoke with them and they insisted that they will be able to get me my Z visa. They know I do not have the legal requirements for a degree also. (No degree/BA, Teaching for over 2 years etc etc) However they said the inivitation will be for a Z visa still.

Also I would be moving over to beijing with a friend who I would be sharing/renting an apartment with which I guess would save me a couple thousand rmb?
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this list has resurfaced. Many of these items are addressed in the "standard" SAFEA contract, but it's SO easy to overlook them. Some items are more important than others, but sometimes, there's a pattern to the missing info. THAT'S when you need to stand on your hind legs and bark.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bumping this thread as has been suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: