Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Offer Checklist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JellyRoll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: not legal Reply with quote

NO degree.....immediate RED FLAG!!
You MUST have a verifiable degree to teach in China, or you will NOT get a Z-Visa from SAFEA, or a FEC from SAFEA.
End of.
It's a scam.
At worse, "they" will 'buy' you a fake degree and credentials.
Good luck with that in Beijing! (at least aim a little lower.....a boonie township in Henan Province.......)

Your Z-visa will be scammed and your documents faked.
YOU will be the one in prison, fined, and deported, with, at least, a 3-year ban (and worldwide no-fly listing!).

But, heck..........some folks gotta learn the hard way.

Oh, mea culpa!! You will SAVE at least a couple of thousand RMB.......well, whoopdee do! Have you ANY idea what the fines are when you are caught? (and you will be!)
Believe me - not a penny will come out of the SCAM RECRUITERS pockets!!

Wake up.

Vaxa wrote:
Thanks for that Doogs.

So it is in Beijing the Job I have been offered.

Also no accomodation that is why they put us up in a hostel for the 15 days until we find a place I guess.

I have spoke with them and they insisted that they will be able to get me my Z visa. They know I do not have the legal requirements for a degree also. (No degree/BA, Teaching for over 2 years etc etc) However they said the inivitation will be for a Z visa still.

Also I would be moving over to beijing with a friend who I would be sharing/renting an apartment with which I guess would save me a couple thousand rmb?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised we probably don't have 'photocopying allowance' in the list.
Important where supplied resources are inadequate or non-existent.
May be rationed i.e. a limit on copies per month or grudging access to a copier but no limit.
Also worth bumping this thread to the top again given that public school offers are probably being finalised now for Sept start.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consideration of how long a teaching hour is important as this can vary and can be as little as 35mins.

In addition to teaching hours per week, the requirement for non-teaching or office hours is something that should be factored onto the list. Whether it's a full time 40hr/wk position, a set number of office hours, or you just teach your classes and you have a significant amount of free time.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of hours/teaching hours things were captured earlier but doesn't hurt to repeat.
Smile
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
A lot of hours/teaching hours things were captured earlier but doesn't hurt to repeat.
Smile

Obviously didnt read it very thoroughly haha. Good informative thread for newbies who are considering a job offer though!
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobster wrote:
Sick days?

How many sick days are typical? Particularly for public school?

...or are they typical at all?
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. When I worked at a international school we were suppose to have 2 sick days a month, after my first week I broke my leg and was away for about 3 weeks, still got paid because the principal was a foreigner.

In the university I called in sick a few times because I got a cheaper flight 2 days before the official holiday, no problems. No one checked.

In the middle school they were so tight it was unreal. If I was sick they'd withdraw pay.

That's always, for me, a massive downside to a job if a sick day is not paid. Often in language centers that is the case.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
Depends. When I worked at a international school we were suppose to have 2 sick days a month, after my first week I broke my leg and was away for about 3 weeks, still got paid because the principal was a foreigner.

In the university I called in sick a few times because I got a cheaper flight 2 days before the official holiday, no problems. No one checked.

In the middle school they were so tight it was unreal. If I was sick they'd withdraw pay.

That's always, for me, a massive downside to a job if a sick day is not paid. Often in language centers that is the case.

Thanks, Larson. Yeah, I'm looking at a contract now that offers 3 days for the whole year. Seems an awfully small amount for a public school. Maybe par for course with that middle school of yours.

It's been a long time since I've used sick leave, but it's nice to know it's there if you need it. Anyway, thanks, again.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that hit me because for some reason whenever I'm in China my stomach will give up at least once every couple months. And it's normally only for a day but I'm stuck to the toilet and/or bed. That's it. I took some days for bad stomachs but that's it, beside breaking my leg.

3 days is grim, if you get a bad bad flu or some sickness [and the poor air in China means normal sicknesses take longer to go away] you could eat that up. If you get food poisoning from bad eggs/meat or something your entire sick pay could be gone in a few months. 3 days is GRIM.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may avoid pay being 'docked' by a makeup day process.
OK if the school does the organising. A pain if you have to do it.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
3 days is GRIM.

Yeah…I was kind of afraid of that.

Non Sequitur wrote:
You may avoid pay being 'docked' by a makeup day process.
OK if the school does the organising. A pain if you have to do it.

Well, I would expect having to do that with a language mill, but not a public school.

Anyway, thanks for the very timely answers, you guys. I appreciate it!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would expect having to do that with a language mill, but not a public school.

My experience is entirely with public schools.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:

My experience is entirely with public schools.

Oh, ok. I beg your pardon. Still, I think either way, I wouldn't want to have to do that. But I'll certainly keep it in mind if I'm ever at risk of being docked pay. Thank you.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue only came up for me when one semester I had 7 freshmen classes all doing the same stuff.
I was sick on the Monday and Tuesday and without makeups the 3 classes on those two days would have missed out, or at least that is what the Teaching Affairs guy said.
Not actually true as I always factor in a week or so spare at end of semester to make sure I can assess, mark and report. No-one would have been short-changed.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Job Offer Checklist Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
� Teaching hours pw?

� How many minutes is a teaching hour?

I was kind of wondering what is typically considered a teaching hour in China (..if I can use the word typical).

I've seen several ads that say you'd teach 20-25 classes but then say you're working 13-16 hours..or something like that. So they aren't counting a class hour (which seem to be 45 min) as the hour they're paying you for. They seem to be paying per actual 60 minute hour...even if some of those minutes get borrowed from the next class.

Are class hours not used in China?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: