Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What were you doing on Sept. 11 2001?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was living in Queens and going to uni in the Upper East Side. In fact, I was supposed to start a new job downtown on 09/11.

I turned on the TV before heading out to my late morning class and was stunned to see the news. My then GF was on the last train allowed into Manhattan. My friend who worked at Lehman Bros. left Tower Two 11 mintues before the plane struck.

Life was a huge mess for a few weeks. Funny thing, I remember the first week or two after the attacks everyone in NYC got really friendly. First day back to class, one of my profs ran up to me and hugged me. The bars and restaurants were packed with people getting together.

Oh yeah, my college was near the Pakistani Embassy and a National Guard depo. There were street barricades and sandbags all over the place. Looked like Beirut walking to class.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the US working for a small non-profit at the time and overheard a visitor to the office saying something about a horrific incident in NY. I went home on my lunch hour and returned with my portable black and white TV. Ten of us crowded around my desk to watch the horror unfold on that little TV screen. About 30 minutes later, our director told us to go home since there was no way we could focus on our work. He also decided to close the office for several days. I went home and was glued to the TV for days; scenes from that fateful day are still etched in my mind.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it live all night (in Australia) on TV. Saw the towers fall one by one. It was surreal and frightening to think what other events might happen next. I still remember the freaked out newsreader's reaction. Went to work about 9am with the front page of the paper hoping to talk about it. Didn't think that most students in my classes that day were Arabic speakers, including a couple of Palestinians, and that some didn't necessarily feel the same way about it as I did. There were also some anti-Arab feelings in the room. I elected not not to talk about it in class.

RIP and condolences to all those still suffering. Was in NYC a couple of years ago on the night of 9/11 and saw electric lights representing the towers beaming into the night sky; it was beautiful.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insubordination wrote:
Watched it live all night (in Australia) on TV. Saw the towers fall one by one. It was surreal and frightening to think what other events might happen next. I still remember the freaked out newsreader's reaction. Went to work about 9am with the front page of the paper hoping to talk about it. Didn't think that most students in my classes that day were Arabic speakers, including a couple of Palestinians, and that some didn't necessarily feel the same way about it as I did. There were also some anti-Arab feelings in the room. I elected not not to talk about it in class.

RIP and condolences to all those still suffering. Was in NYC a couple of years ago on the night of 9/11 and saw electric lights representing the towers beaming into the night sky; it was beautiful.

You were wise not to bring it up in class.

The "light show" you saw has been done every year on the anniversary of the attacks. It's a simple, moving way of remembering.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing what I'm doing now. I was in this very building, and I'm pretty sure I was posting on Dave's. Razz
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKZqqSI9-s

Maybe it's for being the anniversary, but it feels exactly the same watching it now as it did 10 years ago live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: 9/11 Reply with quote

I was in Casablanca Morocco working. One of my students came running screaming " teacher, teacher, the Jews, the Jews are attacking your people. I was shocked and confused. Our director had a family member who worked in the twin towers and closed down the school. There was a group of us, about 20 ( ten Moroccans, 6 Americans, 2 Brits, 1 Aussie and 1 Canadian) who went to a local bar and just watched the news for the rest of the day well into the night.
We were all shocked but the Moroccan people were amazing. They kept coming up and expressing shock. We kept being brought tea, beer, whiskey and food. I remember the student's reaction, the one who blamed it on Jewish people, when we learned that the majority of the terrorist were Saudi Arabians.
She said, well it figures. Saudis are just American puppets. Most likely they worked with Israel and America to make this happen.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatred of a people, any people, in this case Jews, is amazing. Facts must not get in the way of proving one's deeply-indoctrinated prejudices to be true. I'm glad to hear that only one of your students had fallen for that oft-repeated calumny, either that the Jews were responsible for the tragedy and that they knew about it ahead of time and hence were able to escape.
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Hatred of a people, any people, in this case Jews, is amazing. Facts must not get in the way of proving one's deeply-indoctrinated prejudices to be true. I'm glad to hear that only one of your students had fallen for that oft-repeated calumny, either that the Jews were responsible for the tragedy and that they knew about it ahead of time and hence were able to escape.
Sad

It is extremely sad that this indoctrination takes place and that such beliefs occur. However, she wasn't the only one who thought, she was just the most outspoken of the group.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the feeling that was the case. I wonder what I would have done if I had been a teacher at that school on that fateful day.
MarkieP52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just got into my classroom and was dreading reading more Harry Potter. My teacher just came in and turned the tv on. We watched it and saw the second plane hit. At the time it didnt really hit me because it was so far away it seemed in NY and I was in Illinois.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five months before 9/11, I accompanied my father to Boston and New York.

It was a pleasant trip. We ate dinner at an old oyster house in Boston. In New York, we strolled through Times Square at night. The sights there were so spectacular. (I would recommend this experience to anyone.)

Sometimes, I think of what would've happened if we had flown to New York on 9/11. We did fly aboard United Airlines, after all.

Such thoughts can give you nightmares...

Shocked
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sleeping on the carpet in front of my TV and my daughter woke me up. I watched as the news portrayed that a plane had hit the World Trade Center in a horrific accident.

When I saw the 2nd plane hit live, I knew it was no accident and immediately started the first day of the rest of my life.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes, I think of what would've happened if we had flown to New York on 9/11. We did fly aboard United Airlines, after all.

Such thoughts can give you nightmares...

You made me remember...I flew through Chicago on United up to Canada a week before. For many months after Sept. 11th I couldn't stop thinking about the flight attendants and their colleagues. I never learned their names or if they were on any of the stricken flights (probably not) but their faces haunted me nonetheless for quite some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GOTL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Isla Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
I had the feeling that was the case. I wonder what I would have done if I had been a teacher at that school on that fateful day.

You would have have done what was in heart to do. You would have found that inner strength you have and tried to enlighten another person. Even if you didnt reach them, you would have tried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: