Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you could pick anywhere in South America...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enrico Palazo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: If you could pick anywhere in South America... Reply with quote

I'm currently an English teacher in the U.S., and I'd like to teach in South America for a couple of years. Where's the best place to go? Buenos Aires is at the top of my list, but people on this blog don't seem to recommend it too highly. Colombia also seems to be recommended only with serious reservations. I just want to make a decent amount of money and have a job before I go down there. Am I dreaming?
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not South America, but if you want to get a job before you arrive, and want to make a little bit more money, I suggest you broaden your search to include Mexico and possibly Costa Rica.

When you say, "I'm currently an English teacher in the US." That could mean a lot. We'd know a bit more about your chances, if we knew a bit more about your education and work experience.
Enrico Palazo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: More info Reply with quote

I have been teaching 8th grade English for over ten years in a public school, and I have a master's degree in English. I've been thinking about Search Associates to help find a job. I worry about the drug crime in Mexico, and the only American school I found in Costa Rica was in San Jose. I've been there, and I wasn't a fan. Your thoughts?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: More info Reply with quote

Enrico Palazo wrote:
I have been teaching 8th grade English for over ten years in a public school, and I have a master's degree in English. I've been thinking about Search Associates to help find a job. I worry about the drug crime in Mexico, and the only American school I found in Costa Rica was in San Jose. I've been there, and I wasn't a fan. Your thoughts?

I think you sound like a good candidate for international schools. I think those are what you should be targeting, since they tend to hire qualified teachers from abroad. They tend to pay better and offer a good benefits package to teachers.

Search Associates is a good option. Also try The Association of American Schools in South America:

http://www.aassa.com/

They have their own recruitment fair, and it's in December at Atlanta.

However, to increase your chances of finding a job, you should be a little more flexible about location and be open to more countries. Argentina's a wonderful place (I've spent a year in Buenos Aires) but there are also other great places in Latin America!

Hope this helps!
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line up a good paying job at a high school before coming down. Take littlelauren's advice. I'm not sure what high school pay in Colombia for your qualifications would be. My guess is you should be looking at 4.5 million/month plus an all-expenses paid, furnished 1 bedroom apartment in a one of the best neighborhood in the city and flights.

Alternatively, you could try to get hired from abroad at a good university. You'd have a decent chance of getting on full-time at Los Andes in Bogota, for example. You would be looking at the 4 million range with no housing or flights.
D�chas11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a lot of work in chile right now, and ive heard good things about costa rica
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I somehow never saw your reply Enrico.

Drug crime really only effects the northern most regions of Mexico. You would have no problem getting a good job at a Fancy high school in just about any Mexican city. There are several websites that are directories of such schools. One example is http://eduportal.com.mx

However, it is very difficult to get a job before you arrive as people will want to meet you for an in person interview. I think there are a few schools that hire at international school job fairs, such as the American School Foundation of Mexico City.
NWBen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: I'm asking the same question... Reply with quote

... and open to working in any country. However, I'm not nearly as qualified as the OP. I've got a couple years experience teaching business english in the 90s in Germany and Poland.

I spent a couple months in Guatemala learning Spanish this spring and want very much to immerse myself a little deeper than I did there to bring my language skills up to near-fluency (since I had never taken any Spanish prior to this spring, I've got a long ways to go).

Financially, I'm well enough off to support myself for a year doing that, but unless I'm involved in activities, I'm undisciplined. So I'd like to work. And updating my experience teaching EFL might be helpful to me in the future. Any suggestions? I guess I'm also open to volunteering for a non-profit, although the experience I have that I imagine would be useful is carpentry and basic medical knowledge (I was a medic in the military). Actually, the more activities I can involve myself in, the better. Very Happy

Take a CELTA course? TEFL?
liandra78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Costa Rica vs. Argentina Reply with quote

Hello all, I read this post and others and wanted to see if I've got the pay right...$8 per hour in Costa Rica and about $1,000 Am in Argentina. I also don't have as much experience as the original poster but wanted to see which country would be more viable for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot saved and think both countries would require a cushion. Thoughts? Also, do both Argentina and CR require a lot of travel time on metros and buses? I did that too much in Barcelona last year and would prefer less of that in my next adventure. Would love any insights?

can anyone else confirm what was said about Colombia being more lucrative?

FYI, I have a BA, my TEFL and over a year of teaching ESL in Spain.

Thank you!!!!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: More info Reply with quote

Enrico Palazo wrote:

Do a little more research on Mexico, it's a big country. And while there are serious problems in some areas, there are others that are completely, or mostly untouched. Gotta love the US media's love for the violent, the sensational, without a care as to whether what they are reporting is actually accurate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: