Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia - UCSI - Salary Ok?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemodot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayuJati wrote:
SepangMan wrote:
"Go ahead and link us with the government website where it states no one gets a work permit if the salary is less than RM5,000. Please."

Re: KayuJati

You've been in Malaysia for a while, and so have I. However, on Jan 1, 2009 a new law was passed; Since then, in order to obtain an employment pass employers have been required to pay its workers a minimum of RM5K/mo.

Here's the link:

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=118&lang=en

"Employment Pass
With effect from 1st January 2009, approval is given for a period of at least two years for a post involving a salary of RM5,000 and above."

Thanks for the link.

You will note, however, that it doesn't say that a minimum salary is required. Let's change the clauses around to state: "For a post involving a salary of RM5k and above, approval [can be obtained] for a minimum period of two years." In other words, if a school wants to pay less than RM5k they can, but will not get two-year work permits.

In other words, the wording leaves room for posts involving salaries under RM5k.

Let's do a little survey here, ask gloomyGumi and chasteaches if their offers are for positions with two-year contracts, or one-year contracts with possible renewal.

At my school I was switched from 2-year work permits to 1-year permits several years ago (around 2006), but well before this became law.

The imigresen website is a translation from Malay, so it does mean >5,000 RM required for an EP.

Low paid workers can be paid less - they are not expats e.g. maids etc. What I suspect some dodgy universities do is have one contract with immigration stating 5,000 RM salary then cheat the expat staff! Or just pay a processing "fee"

Such universities are best not touched even with a barge pole!

Legitimate university lectures get 6-7k (local staff rates with a masters). The rubbish private (Chinese) "universities" cheat staff and students. AVOID!
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemodot wrote:

Here's the link:

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108&Itemid=118&lang=en

The imigresen website is a translation from Malay, so it does mean >5,000 RM required for an EP.

Low paid workers can be paid less - they are not expats e.g. maids etc. What I suspect some dodgy universities do is have one contract with immigration stating 5,000 RM salary then cheat the expat staff! Or just pay a processing "fee"

Such universities are best not touched even with a barge pole!

Legitimate university lectures get 6-7k (local staff rates with a masters). The rubbish private (Chinese) "universities" cheat staff and students. AVOID!

Well, why don't you just go ahead and link to the page where it states, in Malay, that a minimum salary of RM5k is required. I can read and write in Malay quite well, thank you, and will provide an English translation for future queries here at Dave's ESL Cafe.

Otherwise, I might just consider you to be full of sambal belacan! Laughing
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP-

What was the position you were offered? Tutor or lecturer?

Not trying to steal your job (hehehe), just curious. I took a look at the school's website and saw two different positions listed.
kpjf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up a very old thread but instead of starting a new one I thought I would ask if people know if the TEFL salaries at USCI are better nowadays?

I got sent a pdf application form and it's really quite long, so don't want to fill it out and then have a interview if the salaries are as bad as before!

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: