Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombia Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Colombia Update Reply with quote

April 2004

Could somebody kindly give us an update regarding Colombia?

It sounds like a beautiful country, but I have been reading contradictory reports on Dave's about what it is like to work there:

jobs/no jobs
ok pay/inadequate pay
dangerous/safe
people friendly/not friendly
lots of expats/no expats
inflation/no inflation
enjoyable/not enjoyable
worth it/not worth it
come/don't come

If you could fill us in just a bit, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,
khmerhit
shebab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia is one of the best places to do ESL in Latin America for several reasons. With an MA, you can live very comfortably on the salary you are making, more so than 3/4 of the population around you. Inflation is much more tightly controlled than the rest of Latin American countries, and hyperinflation has never existed the way it has in Argentina and Venezuela. The same goes for coup d'etats or massive political unrest that take place in Bolivia or Venezuela.

Because there are very few expats, it is a great place to meet and hang out with locals, as well as learn the language. My experience was in Medellin, so I can only comment on that. As for safety, if you just use common sense you can stay out of trouble. True, Colombia is not a safe country, but your day to day routine should not be very much affected by this fact if you just follow the lead of the locals. The strange thing is that while everyone around me would constantly talk about kidnappings or murders or robberies, I was never personally involved with any of these things in the ten years that I have lived/worked/visited Colombia.

The best places to work (with an MA) are the Centro Colombo Americano in Medellin, and the Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla. In the latter you would live very well on the salary you make, but probably not have enough to save or turn back into dollars/euros/pounds/whatevers.

Most foreigners who go to Colombia fall in love with the place...I intend to use my Middle Eastern savings to buy a fabulous apartment in Medellin and live there happily ever after one day (if I can ever start saving! Rolling Eyes
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�m another of those who are constantly hearing Colombia calling for them. I�m most interested in Cali, Cartagena, and to a lesser degree, Bogota.

I had a blue-eyed blond-haired American friend who lived in Bogota for 3 years who didn�t seem to have any problems. The big thing to avoid is overland travel between cities - which he didn�t heed - but didn�t have a problem with either.

If I go, I tend to just stay put in one of the 3 above-mentioned cities and make out a living there for awhile. Its calling me as well.

www.poorbuthappy.com is the best website out there on Colombia and the foreigners who live there.. I have another friend who is moving there in June.. to Cali.

I�m surprised how expensive airfare is to get to Colombia however.. €600 from Spain.. whereas Dominican Republic is only €299.. Miami at €275. Miami to Colombia is around $400. Hmm.. actually if I�m able, I�m hoping to see my friend in Cali in July.. just can�t find anything decent as I also plan to stop by Miami to see another friend beforehand.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks in no small part to Tiger Beer, my interest in Colombia is growing. I have an email buddy there (yeah, she's hot) but I'm just wondering how people stay so cheerful despite the wretched situation there.

I guess there aren't so many asianos (is that a correct term?) in Colombia. I wonder if they are prejudiced against Asian native speakers like they are in Korea or Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: