Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hctsucks blogspot dot com is now blocked by etisilat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teachergirl2011

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEB

There is I feel a big difference between being enslaved to a paycheck and being addicted to a paycheck.

Some people put up with the "crap" they perceive in order to take the paycheck they love, others enjoy working there. It's a simple exchange.

There is no end of information on forums about HCT and other Middle Eastern establishments but still they come. If westerners don't like the deal, they should simply stay home. You guys all do a great job of providing information and long may it continue.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments Teachergirl.

But the crap (no quotation marks necessary) at HCT isn't perceived or contrived by teachers...it's real, and the source is HCT.

I accept my destiny to take jobs in the M.E. because I need a paycheck and I can't find a full-time ESL job with benefits in the states. I don't have a love affair with a paycheck. It's just that I have developed a bad habit...I like to eat. Have you priced nuts these days?

I wasn't fortunate to be born into wealth, nor have I gotten the breaks to achieve it. If I could find a way to live in this world without money, I would. It seems I was born about 300 years too early.

MEB Cool
Vancouver Vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is well known in the Sharjah Business Dept that you cross the supervisor and she will have it in for you. 6 PhDs have gone since she became supervisor (she does not have a masters in business and certainly not a PhD). One wasn't renewed after 6 years teaching there, 2 (including Martin) didn't pass probation, one was hounded and humiliated until he resigned and 2 did runners. Not a very good record. At the end of the last semester 1/3rd of the staff left. Staff there know you have to tug the forelock or you will be out and let's be honest there are some people from certain areas of the globe who are more used to doing that than others and that may be why they seem to cope better at HCT.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...tug the forelock...

MEB, keep it PG here. This is a family-oriented site! Laughing Cool

It's a euphemism, isn't it!
Vancouver Vic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you must be joking. Touch or tug the forelock is touching the hair on the forehead as a sign of subservience. Certainly nothing rude.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver Vic wrote:
I think you must be joking. Touch or tug the forelock is touching the hair on the forehead as a sign of subservience. Certainly nothing rude.

Hence the Laughing Cool! It is, however, better than my own euphemism, "Tugging on the ol' fire alarm!" Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

It's sooo apparent!
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:
Quote:
...tug the forelock...

MEB, keep it PG here. This is a family-oriented site! Laughing Cool

It's a euphemism, isn't it!

Whatever it means, I had no part in it...I'm just minding my own nuts! Laughing

MEB Cool
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vancouver Vic,

" . . . there are some people from certain areas of the globe who are more used to doing that than others and that may be why they seem to cope better at HCT."

While I suppose it could be geographically induced, I've noticed that it's often the degree of desperation and the number of hostages to fortune that are prone to induce forelock tugging Very Happy

Regards,
John
Teachergirl2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you indicate in your post MEB....

You choose to work in ESL.
You choose to work in ESL on a full time contract.
You choose to work in the Middle East.
You chose to work at HCT.

I have been reading bad reports of HCT since the late 90's.

People need to be careful when they accept a job at HCT, which is also the case at many Middle East establishments. It would appear that the Business Department at Sharjah is not the place to work if you have a PHD and are expecting to be treated as a PHD would be treated in many other educational institutions.

Hopefully PHD's will read these posts and steer well clear unless they want the challenge. It isn't rocket science really.
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am not a first hand reporter on Martin, I can, from personal experience, state that LK does have an MBA (otherwise she would have been terminated several years ago at the very latest as it was made a requirement to have an MBA or similar in 2006 at any level in HCTs business faculty - it was written into the contracts) and in my own experience, does her best to be fair.

I know a couple of the PhDs who were terminated (whether during probation or otherwise) some were supercilious windbags - lot of talk, no substance, olsne guy used to photocopy university MBA texts for use in class - the girls couldn't read them let alone understand them) - after all, it was a vocational school, not a pseudo university in the making (then).

Wonder what the pass rates were in their classes with their "university level of educating"? Same as the rest, if not better. Level of competency for the student exiting the program - the same as before if not a little more confused about their place in the work world (after all, it's only a step from HCT HD to an immediate managerial position Shocked)

So the holier than thou stuff in Martin's post may have been his standard of teaching but the results were probably the same as in the past before his arrival - I've put a call out to colleagues who are still there to try and get some more information.

However, what it comes down to is that HCT recruits PhDs, treats and expects them to behave as glorified babysitters and pretend to turn out managers - maybe Martin didn't complete the latter part of the program?

Last edited by helenl on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachergirl2011 wrote:
As you indicate in your post MEB....

You choose to work in ESL.
You choose to work in ESL on a full time contract.
You choose to work in the Middle East.
You chose to work at HCT.

Thank you for clarifying my own message to me. Very helpful. Rolling Eyes

MEB Cool
JohnCB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: HCT Reply with quote

As long as they need native speakers>TEACHEM SPRING! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helenl wrote:
However, what it comes down to is that HCT recruits PhDs, treats and expects them to behave as glorified babysitters and pretend to turn out managers - maybe Martin didn't complete the latter part of the program?

That sums it up beautifully, helen1... sad to say...

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, the guy who photocopied texts for HD students also gave them practice tests - which were exactly the same as the final exam (no changes in wording or figures) - needless to say, the girls did very well on the final exam.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear helenl,

" . . . needless to say, the girls did very well on the final exam."

Hey, look on the bright side - he did get them to do some homework Very Happy

Regards,
John
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: