Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic threads from the past

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Off topic threads from the past Reply with quote

There were some great off topic threads from the not too distant past that I can remember: one was about Mexican humor and one included a bit in which Guy waxed poetic about the early morning sounds that made him feel safe in his neighborhood. Is it possible to move them to or revive them in this forum?

Maybe there are some more that others might remember, too. Laughing Crying or Very sad Smile
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thread with comments from moonraven should fit the bill.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote the old bird:

Quote:
Thanks for the humorless insults.

Where do they find you people?

Those were the days...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
To quote the old bird:

Quote:
Thanks for the humorless insults.

Where do they find you people?

Those were the days...

"If someone gave you guys books, you'd just chew on the covers." Smile

"I am disinclined to be persuaded by someone like yourself who knows not of what he speaks." Smile

From one of my favorite posts on Dave's, where irascible posters snarling at each other through cyberspace are not exactly unknown: ". . .your smug, beach-addled complacency." Smile

And wasn't there something about blind squirrels living in a nut-free environment?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy good finds...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Moonraven. I enjoyed her posts even when irked by some of her more politicized comments.
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pearls of wisdom:

moonraven wrote:
First: You need to understand that students "take the measure" of their teachers the first day of class. Any behavior that you don't want to have in your classroom must be rooted out then. Do not even wait for Day Two to do that, or you will have an uphil;l climb for the rest of the school year.

Two: I usually have students who insist on talking when I am talking stand in front of the class next to me so that they can have ALL the attention of their classmates. After about 5 minutes they start begging me to let them sit down. That is usually enough.

Three: Once in awhile someone lapses. I will ask if he wants to come up next to me. Of course he doesn't. I point out that when I am talking I do not want competition, and that I do not talk when other people have the floor.

Four: If you don't find these strategies working, you will need to develop Classroom Presence. In the meantime, call in the parents of the offenders. Let the parents chew on their behinds for awhile.

Good luck!

moonraven wrote:
I think the comments made about lecturing were very much to the point. I have about 5% teacher talking time in my classes, as I don't need to practice the language. Students will do better if you put them to work immediately, as they are entering from a Spanish environment and need a warm up in English.

A lot of dealing with students falls under the heading of conditioning expectations. What was mentioned about not talking if students are interrupting by talking works well--once you have conditioned them. When students lapse you can install something like I did with one group of 9th graders: If they began to talk instead of working I told them that if I walk over to the desk and sit down behind it that the entire group would get a zero for the day's work. All I had to do was take a couple of steps toward my desk and everyone fell silent. I never had to actually sit down in the chair behind it.

Teachers without much experience frequently think that they must spend their time imparting pearls of wisdom--instead of encouraging students to perform. I have even fired teachers for doing that, because students' right to practice time was being violated.
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz I was hoping for a little more nostalgia, but thanks for a good Very Happy !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: