Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KITAS issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperately_seeking_help

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: KITAS issue Reply with quote

Hi there,

I currently work at a franchise of EF. I won't name it or any of the staff, but you might know the one I mean.
After a while of being deeply dissatisfied with the way in which myself and other staff and teachers were being treated by the upper eschelons of the franchise, I decided to look for other work in Jakarta and, when I was offered a job at a different English language school, I handed in my one month's notice at EF.
Since then I have been informed that the owner of the franchise has seen fit to charge me Rp.7.5mil for what she calls 'administrative costs'. Normally this amount would be to cover the cost of a KITAS work permit, but the fun part in this story is the fact that I have never been issued with a KITAS, and have as such been working in the country illegally on a renewable business visa that allows a foreigner to do no more than attend meetings and 'train'.
Now, in my contract with EF, it states that the company will provide all necessary legal documents required for me to work in this country, which they quite clearly haven't. As such, the company broke the contract before I ever got to it, and for this woman to try to charge me such an amount seems little more than extortion.
The way I see things, I have four options:

1) I can pay the full amount as demanded by this woman.
2) I can negotiate with her to lower the amount, since what she's demanding is ridiculous.
3) I can ask my new employer to cover some of the cost, since I'm incurring this cost in order to work with them.
4) I can ignore my remaining notice period with EF, and simply not turn up to work today. I can leave the country and come back on a tourist visa and crash with my friends or girlfriend until I can start work with my new employer. And hopefully never hear from EF again.
5) ..?

I appreciate that I am breaking my contract in this whole situation by leaving the company to work somewhere else. However, my employer broke the contract first and has been employing me illegally, and is now trying to charge a ridiculous amount for a document I never got.
I would appreciate any help anyone can offer me in this matter, be it recommending one of the choices I suggested, pointing out any further options, or telling me that I should never have gone to work with that company in the first place and that it's all my fault, etc.

Thanks a lot!
sushikurva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
limakaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
I obviously don't know the background to the situation, but assuming you're getting screwed over, work one more day and tell all of your students what happened and the name of the woman, then walk out the door.

What can she do to you?

I agree in principle, but they could issue you an EPO (exit permit) giving you only 12 hours to get out of the country ... and without an EPO, you can't leave.

In any case, once you've left, let us know which branch it was. Good luck
chezal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware you don't need an EPO for a business visa. I've just had a look through my passport and there was never an EPO for the business visas only the KITAS.

Have a look here for more about visas and documentations. http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html#EPO
limakaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chezal wrote:
As far as I'm aware you don't need an EPO for a business visa. I've just had a look through my passport and there was never an EPO for the business visas only the KITAS.

My bad - I stand corrected. @OP RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: