Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cali Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Cali Options Reply with quote

What are some of the institutes and colegios that hire ESL teachers?

Really hoping I can find work in Cali so any info would be much appreciated.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....?
Utica2008

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for info on Cali.

I have heard that institutes will not normally help with the paperwork for a visa but that schools will.

Is this true?
It was from an institute that I heard this.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utica2008 wrote:
I am also looking for info on Cali.

I have heard that institutes will not normally help with the paperwork for a visa but that schools will.

Is this true?
It was from an institute that I heard this.

I heard the same thing too actually. I talked to a couple of people who are teaching English in Cali right now, and they say that institutes aren't really trying to give visas.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heading to Cali in April. Will see how things go... have a few contacts, and I think that there should be a decent amount of work. Would be interested in hearing from others how they find it once out there!
newdayrising

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
simonenglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. Had a great time dancing and partying but the work situation is not that great in Cali/Colombia. A lot of the institutes have split shifts and pay not much. I just had a colegio job interview (second tier) and they were offering only around 16,000 US Dollars a year with no accommodation.

Really, I am thinking of just working in Asia/Middle East and returning next year.

I have lots of contacts though. It is more about recommendations and who you know more than anything else for the better jobs.
newdayrising

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonenglish wrote:

Really, I am thinking of just working in Asia/Middle East and returning next year.

Haha well that's what I was planning to do when I left Medellin in March 2011. But somehow I'm still here in Boston.

Also, I don't know how expensive Cali is, but $16,000 a year sounds pretty decent for South America.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newdayrising wrote:
simonenglish wrote:

Haha well that's what I was planning to do when I left Medellin in March 2011. But somehow I'm still here in Boston.

Also, I don't know how expensive Cali is, but $16,000 a year sounds pretty decent for South America.

Enough to travel Colombia a bit, live very modestly and break even in the end.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I don't think the colegio are going to get me a work visa. They have only employed foreigners who already had a work visa before. They are talking to the lawyer but it is time and money. Their budget is small and I don't think they will come through in the end.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonenglish wrote:
Also, I don't think the colegio are going to get me a work visa. They have only employed foreigners who already had a work visa before. They are talking to the lawyer but it is time and money. Their budget is small and I don't think they will come through in the end.

That's an incorrect view of how the work visa functions. You get a new work visa with every new employer, so it doesn't make much sense that the colegio would be talking about only being able to employ people who already had a visa, given that the previous visa wouldn't be valid with the new employer. You have to go through the whole process again with every new employer; the only difference is renewing vs. getting a visa for the first time - when you renew a visa or change employers, you can do the process in Bogota. When you get a work visa for the first time you have to leave the country and go to a Colombian consulate. Regardless the paperwork and 'lawyerwork' would be the same.

Any school who won't get you a visa is definitely not worth your time. I would also be doubtful that their budget is that small (places will tell you this so that you'll accept worse working conditions and pay). In the end, as a foreigner you should only be applying to schools that are organized enough and have a high enough budget to employ you. I'm sure there are at least 3 or 4 such schools in Cali.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Spanglish, I agree with you in general. The school should sort out a work visa full stop if you fit their profile.. However, I don't know exact numbers but to change from a tourist visa to a work visa does mean that the employer has to pay for a trip to Quito (cheapest option) plus pay visa/admin costs. I would be surprised if the actual visa cost was exactly the same for a new work visa compared to just renewing a work visa... But, it comes down to the school in the end.

It is quite a well-known school with a good reputation in Cali. Obviously, it is not until you have an interview that you find out all the details!!
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonenglish wrote:
Yes, Spanglish, I agree with you in general. The school should sort out a work visa full stop if you fit their profile.. However, I don't know exact numbers but to change from a tourist visa to a work visa does mean that the employer has to pay for a trip to Quito (cheapest option) plus pay visa/admin costs. I would be surprised if the actual visa cost was exactly the same for a new work visa compared to just renewing a work visa... But, it comes down to the school in the end.

It is quite a well-known school with a good reputation in Cali. Obviously, it is not until you have an interview that you find out all the details!!

Some employer pay for the trip, some don't. I know that the fee for the visa is the same regardless, (once again, some employers pay for it some don't) - over $300 USD when all is said and done - but am not sure if there is more paperwork to be submitted for the initial visa vs. switching visas or renewing. I've never heard of any differences in paperwork required.

Honestly, I think they're trying to low ball you. If it's a well know school in Cali, they should be offering a lot more than 2 million/month and shouldn't be balking at getting you a visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: