Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Mexico In June?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForProgress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Moving to Mexico In June? Reply with quote

I recently graduated from College and I want to spend the next year or two away from the U.S. I love traveling, and after giving it a lot of thought I've decided to do ESL in Mexico. After reading these forums (a few times) I've settled on an ESL school in Guadalajara. BUT, I still have a few questions, because I don't want to be as prepared as possible.

1) Getting a VISA and Work Permit: This is my main concern. If I find a school, and don't speak Spanish fluently, will attaining these documents be difficult?

2) What are some of the cheapest, yet modern (no mice/roaches/rat), places to live? And Where?

3) I'll move there in June, so by July I'll have an TEFL Certificate. Is that a good time to look for a job?

4) How much savings do you recommend? (Keep in mind I'll have TEFL in July. And possibly won't be working until August if that's when the jobs start) Obviously more is better, but what's the minimum?

5) I'm going on 23 years old, and I look more 19ish... will this be a problem in getting employment, or having students respect me?

6) I'm REALLY trying to better my Espanol. I know teaching can be full time, but it won't stop me from learning Espanol right? I don't want to move there and everyone speak to me in English.

These are some basic questions I have. I really look forward to hearing all of your advice! And I'll more then likely have more questions, so bear with me Smile
doublethinker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Not that difficult, just time-consuming. Make sure to bring an apostilled copy of your degree and birth certificate, and you should be good to go. Most good schools will offer assistance.

2) No idea, I live in DF.

3) Yep, that's a good time to look for a job, especially if you want to teach in a private school.

4) Well, if you are going in June, and won't get paid for the first time until the end of August, I would say 2500 us$ would be a good bet.

5) If you teach adults, in my experience they will automatically respect you. If you teach kids / teenagers in a private school, doesn't matter what you look like - they WILL NOT respect you until you MAKE them respect you.

6) You will learn Spanish along the way, but not as much as you would doing a different job.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Mexico In June? Reply with quote

ForProgress wrote:
I recently graduated from College and I want to spend the next year or two away from the U.S. I love traveling, and after giving it a lot of thought I've decided to do ESL in Mexico. After reading these forums (a few times) I've settled on an ESL school in Guadalajara. BUT, I still have a few questions, because I don't want to be as prepared as possible.

1) Getting a VISA and Work Permit: This is my main concern. If I find a school, and don't speak Spanish fluently, will attaining these documents be difficult?

2) What are some of the cheapest, yet modern (no mice/roaches/rat), places to live? And Where?

3) I'll move there in June, so by July I'll have an TEFL Certificate. Is that a good time to look for a job?

4) How much savings do you recommend? (Keep in mind I'll have TEFL in July. And possibly won't be working until August if that's when the jobs start) Obviously more is better, but what's the minimum?

5) I'm going on 23 years old, and I look more 19ish... will this be a problem in getting employment, or having students respect me?

6) I'm REALLY trying to better my Espanol. I know teaching can be full time, but it won't stop me from learning Espanol right? I don't want to move there and everyone speak to me in English.

These are some basic questions I have. I really look forward to hearing all of your advice! And I'll more then likely have more questions, so bear with me Smile

You can find answers to all of your questions by looking through the past Mexico forum threads.

1. If you have already found a school then you should ask them about a FM-3.

2. Cheap and modern don't mix well together in Mexico, you will find a cheap modern apt in the massive govt. housing complexes.

3. Sure. Colegios will hire at that time. Lingo schools hire ANYtime as they have very high turnover cause the pay sucks.

4. You need $3,000 US MINIMUM. Over $5,000 would be better.

5. Yes, it will be a problem. If you have a 45 y/o CEO as a student, you will have to work twice as hard at first. That is just an example. And if you teach teens, as the other poster said, they won't respect you anyways.

6. You will learn Spanish if you really want to. Just like immigrants in the USA. Some speak fluent English in 5 years and others can't say much of anything.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Mexico In June? Reply with quote

ForProgress wrote:

1. Just remember that once you get a visa through a school you may be tied to them for that year since they will be sponsoring you but since you'll be new go ahead and take that route.

2. No idea. As Prof. Gringo said cheap yet modern usually don't go together in Mexico. You might want to get a job first and then find a place close to where you work on on the metrobus line if in DF. You won't want to drive in Mexico and you won't make the money to have a car and pay for the gas anyways on the salary.

3. Anytime is a good time to look for work at one of the language schools like Harmon Hall, Berlitz, or Interlingua. You can even try the colegios because spots do appear throughout the year.

4. This one is the MOST IMPORTANT!!! 3,00 TO 5,000 DOLLARS if at all possible. I say this because you are going to be a newbie. The salaries in EFL in Mexico are LOW to begin with, especially for someone who hasn't paid their dues yet. I say 5,000.00 because it will take a while to get you first check since you'll be coming to Mexico without a job.
Another reason to bring a large sum of savings if possible is because some schools won't pay you on time. You may have to wait a few weeks to a few MONTHS before you get paid. I know someone who is in Mexico City now and this has been happening to them on a regular basis with their job. So make sure you have a safety net.

5. Your young appearance will be no problem in Mexico.

6. Buy food on the streets and you'll start to learn some Spanish. Also, if you can afford to have cable, start watching the novelas (soap operas) in Spanish and the morning talk shows like Hoy.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guadalajara is a good choice...wait a bit and you'll get some advice from someone in GDL (all of us so far are in DF).

1. 3 different things can happen...your employing school will help process the paperwork and sponsor you for it, meaning you don't need to do much beyond signing papers and maybe paying for it. Or, Your employing school either doesn't ask you for a work visa at all. Or, you get one independently in which case you have to gather all the papers, pay the fees, and yes use some Spanish to get it done.

I assume you're getting your TEFL cert in GDL...that's good, in that it won't need an apostille. You can take it straight to immigration as proof of qualifications. Do you have a degree? If so, it's a good idea to have that apostilled as well, though odds are the TEFL cert will be enough.

2. I would suggest looking for shared accommodations to start out. Assuming again you're taking your course in GDL, you'll have a month to meet up with other people in the course or other teachers. Single person furnished apartments are pricey in GDL and would consume most of your income.

You could also check segundamano.com.mx and some local paper listings. As for where in GDL, look just west of the centro historico, or up around Zapopan if you plan to work in that area.

3. Language institute jobs are to be had year round, but July is a rather slow time. Things pick up in late August. If you plan to work with kids, the school year starts in mid or late August.

4. 2000 dollars will hold you over fine for 2 or 3 months. You'll have work by August in case July is a bust.

5. How you look is less important than how you carry yourself and how you demonstrate your abilities in the classroom. Don't worry about this one.

6. People will be bouncing their English off you all the time....part of that is typical Mexican gracious hospitality and part of it is because they like to practice. You'll have plenty of chances to improve your Spanish even if you don't take classes. I arrived with zero Spanish and simply took every opportunity I could to read and speak it while out and about. I didn't find it very hard to practice and learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Just remember that once you get a visa through a school you may be tied to them for that year since they will be sponsoring you but since you'll be new go ahead and take that route.

If you are working for a language institute, I wouldn't worry about that. In general, most institutes don't do everything by the book, so I wouldn't feel any guilt about leaving when you want to. Under no circumstance let a school hold your immigration document or passport; they are YOURS (Except for the time they need if they are processing your visa, of course - no more than a month). You would need to apply to immigration for change of employer, however, and there is a fee for that.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
4. 2000 dollars will hold you over fine for 2 or 3 months. You'll have work by August in case July is a bust.

If a person only has 2 grand with them and they come to Mexico, they will be in a tough position.

Many factors at work here. Let�s assume they have their TEFL cert in hand, and they are ready to work.

What will cost you money?

Intial set-up: You will either stay in a hotel or a hostel. The daily job search and paying for transport: buses, taxis, metro will cost something everyday.

You will most likely eat out (esp. staying in a hotel/hostel with no or limited cooking facilities).

Weekly or daily rent.

You will need a prepaid Mexican cell phone and keep credit on it.

And once a job is found, you will need a place to live. Expect one month rent as a deposit. You may find a furnished room, but you will need to provide many things such as towels, linen, dishes, cutlery, etc

Most apartments in Mexico are rented BARE and you MUST provide even the most basic items such as hot water heater and an oven/stove.

Again, all of these costs quickly add up.

If you have to pay for a FM-3, expect another $2,000 pesos or more to be expended.

If you want to travel, do touristy things, and in general, enjoy life, you will either need to make at least $15,000 pesos per month or burn through your savings.

Yeah, sure, you can get the authentic Mexican exp. Go real cheap.

Live in a hovel. Eat only the cheapest food stuffs. Take public transit everywhere. Never watch a movie, dine out (except for tacos or tamales in the street) or travel anywhere. Go to Dr. Simi for $30 pesos when you get sick.

If you are only going to be in Mexico for six months or a year, the latter option might well suit somebody looking for an "adventure", but it sucks to live like that long-term.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of a sudden, I feel poor! I think if you really want to do this thing, you will manage on what Guy suggested. Those are substantial amounts of money that some people are suggesting, and I think letting money getting in the way of ambition is a negative attitude. Of course, the more money you can muster, the better, but I would say $2000 would be enough for a couple of months. A round trip ticket would be an extra insurance, and probably necessary to avoid any awkward questions in airport immigration.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust what Prof. Gringo wrote amigo. The more savings you have the better. 2,000 dollars won't last you long at all but feel free to come to Mexico on 2,000 only and see how long it won't last you. For sure get that 2 way plane ticket as Phil K said. 3,000 to 5,000 is good. You have to remember what I said earlier...some schools won't pay you the full amount they owe you. THAT is a BIG consideration.

Language schools like Berlitz, Harmon Hall, and Interlingua probably pay on time but they pay VERY LITTLE for so long. Bottom line...save as much as you can before June.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

If a person only has 2 grand with them and they come to Mexico, they will be in a tough position.

Many factors at work here. Let�s assume they have their TEFL cert in hand, and they are ready to work.

What will cost you money?

Intial set-up: You will either stay in a hotel or a hostel. The daily job search and paying for transport: buses, taxis, metro will cost something everyday.

You will most likely eat out (esp. staying in a hotel/hostel with no or limited cooking facilities).

Weekly or daily rent.

You will need a prepaid Mexican cell phone and keep credit on it.

And once a job is found, you will need a place to live. Expect one month rent as a deposit. You may find a furnished room, but you will need to provide many things such as towels, linen, dishes, cutlery, etc

Most apartments in Mexico are rented BARE and you MUST provide even the most basic items such as hot water heater and an oven/stove.

Again, all of these costs quickly add up.

If you have to pay for a FM-3, expect another $2,000 pesos or more to be expended.

If you want to travel, do touristy things, and in general, enjoy life, you will either need to make at least $15,000 pesos per month or burn through your savings.

Yeah, sure, you can get the authentic Mexican exp. Go real cheap.

Live in a hovel. Eat only the cheapest food stuffs. Take public transit everywhere. Never watch a movie, dine out (except for tacos or tamales in the street) or travel anywhere. Go to Dr. Simi for $30 pesos when you get sick.

If you are only going to be in Mexico for six months or a year, the latter option might well suit somebody looking for an "adventure", but it sucks to live like that long-term.

Great points Professor.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's posters have been recommending 2000 dollars as the amount needed to comfortably arrive in Mexico and find a job for at least a decade. I'm willing to conceed that that is not enough anymore. The cost of the FM3 alone has doubled in that time.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Gringo wrote:
Quote:
Take public transit everywhere.
as though this were a terrible way to get around. In Mexico City, at least, public transportation is the way to go, supplemented by the occasional taxi.
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Mexico In June? Reply with quote

ForProgress wrote:

1. Make sure you bring all the relevant documents with you. You'll need to have apostilled or notarized the thing that justifies your visa i.e. tefl cert or relevant degree.

2. You'll probably want to live as close to where you work as possible.

3. Yes.

4. $3,000 just to be on the safe side.

5. Getting employment no, students respecting you maybe - their naturally tendency is to try to be your friend (mainly so that you pass them).

6. Just don't hang around with foreigners just for the sake of having friends. Especially avoind foreigners who have been here for donkey's years and still have trouble ordering their own lunch.
doublethinker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Mexico In June? Reply with quote

Enchilada Potosina wrote:
ForProgress wrote:

1. Make sure you bring all the relevant documents with you. You'll need to have apostilled or notarized the thing that justifies your visa i.e. tefl cert or relevant degree.

2. You'll probably want to live as close to where you work as possible.

3. Yes.

4. $3,000 just to be on the safe side.

5. Getting employment no, students respecting you maybe - their naturally tendency is to try to be your friend (mainly so that you pass them).

6. Just don't hang around with foreigners just for the sake of having friends. Especially avoind foreigners who have been here for donkey's years and still have trouble ordering their own lunch.

At the same time, don't be one of those pretentious folk who purposefully avoid being friends with foreigners. Be friends with who you like.
ForProgress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this great advice. Esp about buying a 2 way ticket (I hope I'll be able to use the return ticket for a credit in the future...) and bringing around 4 to 5,000 USD with me.

A couple more things:

1) Housing: Let's say I find a job en Guadalajara, is it relatively easy to find housing with someone else? I'm hoping maybe someone I take the TEFL class with will want to pair up... if not I would be okay with living with a local. I guess I could try craiglist? And are mice/roaches/rats a big problem?

I want a place that's already furnished... Is this asking too much? I think trying to buy a bed, desk, etc, will be a bit tough not knowing anyone there...

2) Transportation: Do they have a weekly transportation pass? If I'll be using public transportation, I would think that'd be more efficient.

3) Prof. Gringo said 15,000 pesos a moth if I want to travel, etc. Is that a lot? Or hard to do? I'm thinking I'll aim (NOT FOR A LANGUAGE INSTITUTE) for a Colegio or Universidad, and then do some freelance tutoring on the side by posting adds locally.

4) Theft: I live in a metro city now, and I'm lucky to have my own apt. and live in a decent enough area where people don't break into my room. But I'm completely new to the Mexican life. Do I have to worry about people taking my guitar/computer when I'm not home?

& Prof Gring: I'm looking to stay for a year AT LEAST, probably 2 years though. So no, I don't want to hustle and bustle, and eat the cheapest food. I'd like to be moderately comfortable there...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: