Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing jobs on one working visa...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwynnie86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Changing jobs on one working visa... Reply with quote

Hey...

So, a friend of mine JUST got his work visa processed (4 months after starting to work for them), but he really hates his job so has been looking for another ever since. He's just been offered a new job - better location, better pay, better everything... and they want to start him next week. Great news! Until he found out that you can't be here without a working permit, and that he'll be waiting 6-8 weeks for a work permit for the new job, in which time the old, annoyed employer will probably cancel his current one. What happens then? Is there any way around this??
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, so long as the appropriate paperwork had been filed, even though you didn't have the documents in hand yet, it was basically OK. I think your friend needs to explain the situation to his potential new employer and ask them what can be done.

If it took four months to get the last one, he was technically illegal for at least a month anyway (you get 90 days here as a tourist) - but again, this is usually not considered problematic so long as paperwork is in the process.

My own direct knowledge of this is very much out of date, though - hopefully someone will come along with a more current experience. I think your friends' best resource, though, will be his new employer.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, so long as the appropriate paperwork had been filed, even though you didn't have the documents in hand yet, it was basically OK. I think your friend needs to explain the situation to his potential new employer and ask them what can be done.

If it took four months to get the last one, he was technically illegal for at least a month anyway (you get 90 days here as a tourist) - but again, this is usually not considered problematic so long as paperwork is in the process.

My own direct knowledge of this is very much out of date, though - hopefully someone will come along with a more current experience. I think your friends' best resource, though, will be his new employer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: