Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Options in Izmir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Options in Izmir Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm considering making the move from Istanbul to Izmir and was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the situation there.

I have a PGCE, DELTA and MEd (Applied Linguistics) with 10+ years of experience and would probably be looking for a uni prep position or high school position.

Are there any places you could recommend applying to/ staying away from?
Any info on the kind of wages one could expect to be getting?
How about the cost of living and rents?
Anything else I should be aware of before looking to make such a move?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Lev
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of living is much cheaper in Izmir than Istanbul. See:

www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/izmir

As for moving from Istanbul to Izmir, you might find this helpful:

http://www.expatarrivals.com/article/interview-with-barbara-i-living-large-in-izmir-turkey

As for university work, as far as I know, there are 4 public universities in Izmir : Dokuz Eylul; Ege; Izmir Institute of Technology; Izmir Katip Celebi.

Then there are a number of private universities ( more likely to have spoilt rich students) : Izmir University; Yasar University; Gediz University, Sifa University; Izmir University of Economics.

As you are already in Istanbul, you could telephone them to ask about vacancies.
Lev

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any up to date information on any of those unis?
Thanks
Nebbich

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread on Izmir Ekonomi and, from what I've been told, little thee has changed. Unfortunately.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: ieu Reply with quote

That place, as it is refered to, is crying out for fresh blood, sorry, I mean new teachers, preferably those with little or no experience of life, but with native speaker status, do not expect perks or fringe benefits.
delal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: High schools Reply with quote

You could try MEF or Isikkent for high schools in Izmir with your qualifications
BrotherJimma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: private high schools Reply with quote

I was offered a position at Çakabey several years ago...They were paying 3000 TL. I was given a similar offer from TED Koleji last year. These are apparently two of the better schools in Izmir, so I wouldn't expect much more than that.
Quinacridone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izmir is a great city--not too many tourists, so the locals are friendly. Not too expensive, depending on your taste. A friend lived in a nice, furnished, new one-bed for 1200TL in Mavisehir, or 900TL in Bornova. Good pazars, a nice selection of restaurants, really good public transportation. A nice place to live.

The biggest problem with Izmir is the job situation. Ege seems to be the best bet. Reasonable management, most people pretty happy, even if the salaries are pretty low (i.e. below 4KTL)

As of August 2016, Gediz, Izmir University, and Sifa are all closed.

9 September has a maniac as the head of the English department. Super rude, tyrannical. One person in my Celta class worked there and was so glad to have escaped. Another described an interview with the director which was like a bad Saturday Night Live Sketch. Avoid.

Yasar, too, has a super bad reputation. A neighbor worked there and quit after a year. From what I understand, they wouldn't let the teachers bring tests home to correct, plus they were rigid in other ways. This particular woman was Turkish and she wasn't allowed to pray noon prayer, which is what did it for her. Many people seem upset with the management, specifically the top guy, who is portrayed as an a-h

Ekonomi: apparently last year they installed CAMERAS in every classroom, which teachers must have on at all times. Already had one of the worst reps in Izmir so I'm sure that really improved the atmosphere! Hear a lot of people were fired/then more bailed after the coup and they are desperate and hiring at this late in the game. Do yourself a favor and pass.

There is another option that has the potential to work out: there's state school in Manissa, which is about 40-60 mins away from Izmir. A few years ago they were offering up to 5500TL. Imagine with your credentials you'd definitely get top of the range. There was a thread in here about them a couple years ago and it was pretty critical. But I've mostly heard positive stuff about them.

Hope this helps--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: