Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the highest paying ESL/TESOL country???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wrestler7902002



Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the highest monthly ESL salaries is in Saudi Arabia. About 3,600 USD a month, with free accommodations with internet, air con, etc. Transportation provided to and from work. Round trip airfare, full medical insurance, one month paid vacation, and about 1 month national holidays (paid) etc. Teachers at universities like myself only teach about 3 to 4 hours per day with the weekends on Thursday and Friday.

The only expense is the food which is super-Western oriented (Mc Donalds, Herfy,s Pizza Hut, (for me, about $150 USD a month)....oh, and the entire salary is TAX-FREE...also, not much to spend money on...since there are no movie cinemas, no alcohol, no entertainment, etc....excellent way to save 95% of salary and send back home....Those teachers with doctorates in any subject can earn 4,500 to well over 5,000 USD a month, tax-free. Better yet, teach ESL for Aramco and earn upwards of 100,000 USD a year plus an additional 65% of your base salary for accommodations...all tax free, of course! Oh, I forgot to mention that at the universities here, students get paid by the government to take classes at the universities. Amazing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gerund



Joined: 09 Feb 2003
Posts: 80
Location: Amerika

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
Just giving a best guess... Could you give me some dollar figures for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest paying places to teach with a Master's? Thanks.


This isn't really possible, since salaries vary from employer to employer, but in no particular order, the top three would certainly be Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. I'm making 70K USD a year in KSA, and there are jobs that pay more.

From what I saw of your qualifications and experience, you'd have a pretty good chance of finding work in the Middle East. Being 40 would actually qualify you as a youngster where I work now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11454
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question really shouldn't have been posted in the newbie forum; we don't want to give newbies the impression they can earn top money as a new teacher.

The reality is these jobs go to those with solid academic credentials (typically an MA), a CELTA or equivalent, onsite TEFL cert, and several years of relevant teaching experience. Also, in the Arabian Gulf, male teachers have more opportunities to make top money in teaching situations that are closed to women (e.g., military, oil, and other government contracts).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bythesea



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
curioustraveler wrote:
Just giving a best guess... Could you give me some dollar figures for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest paying places to teach with a Master's? Thanks.


Gross salaries (dollars per month) for people fresh off the plane:
Korea = $1800-2500 (plus housing and airfare).
Japan = $2000-3000 (no benefits)
Taiwan = $1800 (no benefits)
Vietnam = $2000 (no benefits)
Thailand - $1200 (no benefits)
China $500-2500 (negotiable: plus housing and airfare)
Middle east = $2000-5000 + benefits.

As mentioned above, gross salary is NOT a good measure due to widely varying levels of costs of living. Savings at the end of the year are a much better measure.

$2500 in China lets you save about $18k per year.
$2500 in Korea, even with the added benefits only lets you save about $12k per year.
$2500 in Thailand lets me save about $20k per year.

You will always do better in your 2nd year after you have:
a) proven yourself in the classroom
b) made connections (it is about who you know and who knows you).

If you really need to pay down a monstrous debt then the middle east is the best choice for bucks even though the living sucks.


.


Great advice tom!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bythesea



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
This question really shouldn't have been posted in the newbie forum; we don't want to give newbies the impression they can earn top money as a new teacher.

The reality is these jobs go to those with solid academic credentials (typically an MA), a CELTA or equivalent, onsite TEFL cert, and several years of relevant teaching experience. Also, in the Arabian Gulf, male teachers have more opportunities to make top money in teaching situations that are closed to women (e.g., military, oil, and other government contracts).


Do you need an MA to work for oil? Or is it just for unis?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11454
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bythesea wrote:
Do you need an MA to work for oil? Or is it just for unis?

I'm female, so I haven't focused on that specific TEFL market. You could certainly check Saudi ARAMCO's website for info, although the Kingdom isn't the only country with oil. Anyway, consider posting your question on the general Mid East forum along with your qualifications (education level/major, TEFL cert, & experience).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 15343

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EARN MONEY ? I can show you websites where you have to pay THEM to go and teach (but not in Saudi Arabia !!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulgogiboy



Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrestler7902002 wrote:
One of the highest monthly ESL salaries is in Saudi Arabia. About 3,600 USD a month, with free accommodations with internet, air con, etc. Transportation provided to and from work. Round trip airfare, full medical insurance, one month paid vacation, and about 1 month national holidays (paid) etc. Teachers at universities like myself only teach about 3 to 4 hours per day with the weekends on Thursday and Friday.

The only expense is the food which is super-Western oriented (Mc Donalds, Herfy,s Pizza Hut, (for me, about $150 USD a month)....oh, and the entire salary is TAX-FREE...also, not much to spend money on...since there are no movie cinemas, no alcohol, no entertainment, etc....excellent way to save 95% of salary and send back home....Those teachers with doctorates in any subject can earn 4,500 to well over 5,000 USD a month, tax-free. Better yet, teach ESL for Aramco and earn upwards of 100,000 USD a year plus an additional 65% of your base salary for accommodations...all tax free, of course! Oh, I forgot to mention that at the universities here, students get paid by the government to take classes at the universities. Amazing!


It's also an excellent way to go off your nut through boredom and loneliness. Oh, don't forget, no companionship with members of the opposite sex, unless you are married.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VietCanada



Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 590

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the highest paying ESL/TESOL country??? Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
I would like to know what country in the world pays the highest salary for teaching English. I have a lot of student loan debt and want to get that paid off. Here is my information, so please let me know where the best place would be. Iím not afraid to get my hands dirty!

Please donít take offense to all the information I put about myself, but based on the posts Iíve been reading, it seems to make a difference where someone should teach and how much they will be paid.

I amÖ

An Anglo American with no regional dialect
40 years old and in generally good shape
MA in TESOL from an American institution (with honors)
BA in Linguistics (TESOL concentration) from an American institution (with honors/Deanís list)
Certificate in TESOL (obtained with BA)

Thank you very much for your help. Iím willing to have a direct message or Skype conversation as well.


If you had a B.Ed. and at least two years experience teaching in your country along with a couple referees you'd be able to apply the any international school and be in a position to gain employment with all the benefits and salary. The best job for a serious teacher.

Apply all over, use Linkdin for example and maybe you'll get a position with the salary and benefits that meet your needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Serious_Fun



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 1171
Location: terra incognita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The reality is these jobs go to those with solid academic credentials (typically an MA), a CELTA or equivalent, onsite TEFL cert, and several years of relevant teaching experience.


right on.

PLUS teacher qualification(s) from home countries.

curioustraveler should earn a teaching qual/credential before heading back out.



student debt at 40 years of age?? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vladimirskala



Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

Gerund wrote:
curioustraveler wrote:
Just giving a best guess... Could you give me some dollar figures for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest paying places to teach with a Master's? Thanks.


This isn't really possible, since salaries vary from employer to employer, but in no particular order, the top three would certainly be Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. I'm making 70K USD a year in KSA, and there are jobs that pay more.

From what I saw of your qualifications and experience, you'd have a pretty good chance of finding work in the Middle East. Being 40 would actually qualify you as a youngster where I work now.


I'm just beginning to look for an ESL gig. I'm finishing up my MA in TESL and have three years of teaching experience at a bilingual high school in an EU country.

I contacted teach away asking them about Middle East positions and was told that my qualifications and experience don't match their current offering in Middle East...that I should look at China and Korea.

How would you evaluate my situation? (BTW, I'm 28 years old). Would I be able to find a job in the Middle East? If so, where should I look? I will certainly give Aramco a try. Thank you all for all the great info.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 11454
Location: The real world

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

vladimirskala wrote:
I'm just beginning to look for an ESL gig. I'm finishing up my MA in TESL and have three years of teaching experience at a bilingual high school in an EU country.

How would you evaluate my situation? (BTW, I'm 28 years old). Would I be able to find a job in the Middle East? If so, where should I look? I will certainly give Aramco a try.

I suggest you post your questions on the general Mid East forum along with your specific qualifications/teaching experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glenski



Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 12844
Location: Hokkaido, JAPAN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love it (sarcasm mode on high) when a poster comes to a forum, leaves 1-3 messages in a day, then never returns to answer the questions that people posed to them, so as to give a better assessment of their query.

Sigh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vladimirskala



Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, nomad, will go there and check it out a bit more. With the little time I have I've managed to read a bit by bit. A wealth of good info in the forums.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
spiral78



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 11534
Location: On a Short Leash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you had a B.Ed. and at least two years experience teaching in your country along with a couple referees you'd be able to apply the any international school and be in a position to gain employment with all the benefits and salary. The best job for a serious teacher.


I've said this before, but wording like the above is pretty misleading. International school jobs openings are quite rare in most desirable countries. Because the jobs are very decent all around, people stay long-term. I know a couple dozen international school staff myself, and all have local families, have put down roots, and have no intention of leaving and creating an opening for a new hire.

So, what you say above is correct; you can apply - but it is by no means a given that a job will be available in exactly the country of your first (or second or third) choice.

It's obviously far easier to find openings in less-desirable locations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China