Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oman vs Bahrain
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
I think it will be interesting to see where things are going in Oman. The aging sultan, combined with continued protests from upset Omani youth and increasing tensions in the Straight of Hormuz make for exciting times. Oman is one of those countries where you've no idea what things will be like five years from now, much less ten...

Probably true for all of the gulf, but Oman has always been unique. I have articles from magazines back in the 90's discussing the already apparent situation... as one article titled it... "No Jobs for the Boys." The population boom which had just started to hit the school system has now hit full force.

When I was teaching at one of the private colleges in 2000, I discussed this with the students in my business classes. I was curious as to their expectations and hopes. Many of these students were of Zanzibari Omani heritage. They were fully aware of the fact that many of them would probably have to leave Oman for work... just as their grandfathers and great-grandfathers had done. So it may be for the energetic and ambitious.

Those that stay will be the ones who cause problems because of unreasonable expectations. Interesting times indeed... as per the old Chinese curse...

VS
posh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday CNN had an interesting feature on Salalah. Due to the problems with the Strait of Hormuz, the deep-water port at Salalah may become a credible alternative to those in the Arabian Gulf.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that and Sohar were pinpointed back in the early 90s during the first war with Iraq - and the expansion of bases on Masirah Island.

Wouldn't be much help to get the oil out though...

VS
diodeone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Yes, that and Sohar were pinpointed back in the early 90s during the first war with Iraq - and the expansion of bases on Masirah Island.

Wouldn't be much help to get the oil out though...

VS

Seems like this problem of getting the oil out has already been solved

Sun, 24 June 2012 00:00
The UAE relies on the Straits of Hormuz to ship all of its oil, yet since the EU announced a ban on Iranian oil imports to come into effect at the beginning of July, Iranian threats to blockade the straits have increased. To avoid this situation the UEA started to develop a pipeline to pump oil from their fields in the west of the country to the eastern port of Fujairah, which will bypass Hormuz entirely.

The UAE have now announced that the pipeline is complete and on Thursday morning oil started to flow to the Gulf of Oman, at an initial rate of one million barrels per day.
http://open.mapquest.com/?q=[25.1253869,56.3436798]
http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/UAE-Bypass-the-Straits-of-Hormuz-with-New-Oil-Pipeline.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is only a million barrels a day... a mere drip in the bucket. They hope to get up to 1.5M, but that is just a bit over half of their daily production. What about all the oil from Iraq, Kuwait and Saudia... and the natural gas from Bahrain and Qatar.

VS
diodeone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
That is only a million barrels a day... a mere drip in the bucket. They hope to get up to 1.5M, but that is just a bit over half of their daily production. What about all the oil from Iraq, Kuwait and Saudia... and the natural gas from Bahrain and Qatar.

VS

Yes, not much oil I admit. There are, though, lots of pipelines being proposed and built for oil and gas all over the region. Too many to count. The link below does a decent job at listing a good number of them and showing them all on one map.
http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/middle_east_oil_gas_products_pipelines_map.html
posh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already pipelines running across Saudi to Yanbu on the Red Sea ... ahah, good map diodene! I'll spend the rest of the working day studying that site Wink

... and imagine there are more, dare I say it, in the pipeline. Plenty of jobs out here for pipeline engneers, btw.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see the percentage of product that bypasses Hormuz.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: