Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tweet, tweet. Who's there? The police - open up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Tweet, tweet. Who's there? The police - open up. Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia journalist to face apostasy trial over Twitter comments

DUBAI: "Saudi Arabian journalist Hamza Kashgari is to face an apostasy trial for comments he made on his personal Twitter account, which Saudi officials say are insulting to the Prophet Mohamed.

On Monday, Human Rights Watch (HRW) called for Kashgari�s immediate release and for Riyadh to drop any charges against him based on what he had written on Twitter concerning his personal religious views.

The case against Kashgari is based on now deleted tweets he made. The country�s top religious leaders have already declared the journalist guilty and have called for him to be put to death.

He had fled to Malaysia, but was sent back to Saudi Arabia, despite worries he could face execution and a court order suspending the deportation.

�Malaysia had no business deporting Kashgari, and Saudi has no business prosecuting him for his tweets expressing his religious opinion, which it is his right to do freely,� said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.

�It is near certain he will not get a fair trial in Saudi Arabia, where religious scholars have concluded that he is guilty of apostasy and should be put to death.�

Kashgari, a columnist from Jeddah, was arrested Wednesday after arriving at Kuala Lumpur International Airport based on a request made by the Saudi authorities via Interpol, a source told German press agency dpa at police headquarters said on condition of anonymity.

The suspect allegedly posted his controversial comments to mark Prophet Mohammed�s birthday last week, outraging thousands of people who called for his execution under Saudi law.

In Dubai, Saudi blogger and social media activists Abdallah told Bikyamasr.com that this is �part of the continued attacks against individuals who speak up publicly about issues.�

He argued that if the Islamic world is to find freedom and justice, 'we must be open to ideas we don�t necessarily agree with. We are still a long way off from that.' �

Regards,
John
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconcerting but in line with most of what's being said about life there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EnglishDoYouSpeakIt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all likelihood he will repent and be released.
cmp45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to many comments from Muslims on the related article from the Arab News...many think otherwise...many would like to see him put to death. This underscores just how serious Muslims take their religion and just how little non-muslims (apparently some Muslims as well) understand the laws governing Islam.
Freedom is just another word for 'nothing to left to loose (lose = RE:for Mr. scary alias gramma' police Embarassed )'... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by cmp45 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 am; edited 4 times in total
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Freedom is just another word for 'nothing to left to loose'...

Or most probably, "nothing left to lose"? Laughing

Please, please, please...don't turn me "any which way but lose"! Wink

It's just my sense of humour, cmp! Cool
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom is just another word for 'nothing to left to loose

Freedom is interpreted "loosely" around the world. A lot of women over here think walking around in a black tent without even a slit for the eyes is somehow liberating. (They should especially come visit Buraidah and see how liberated and free the women are.)

In Sweden you can go to prison for libel or slander--a criminal offense if convicted. In Italy there's no protection from double jeopardy in a criminal case. The prosecutors can appeal Amanda Knox to death even though she's been acquitted. Then she can go to jail for slander for saying someone else did it!

Hard to believe I've had Swedes lecture me about press freedom! You cannot go to jail in the US for libel/slander, and furthermore it's very difficult for a public figure to win a defamation case. (Not the case in Canada or the UK, havens for slander lawsuits.) You also cannot have your acquittal appealed in criminal cases.

By the way, what's up with this universal confusion in the spelling of "loose" and "lose"? What am I missing? Is it difficult?
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, what's up with this universal confusion in the spelling of "loose" and "lose"? What am I missing? Is it difficult?

I couldn't tell you, BBBB. But, will be happy to offer any advise when asked!

It's a large universe out there!
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who insult the prophet, the king, or the Saudi government will usually face prosecution, but what of others? I understand that libel cases are determined by Sharia law judges. How does this affect expats working here with regard to coworkers? Is this like libel in the West, or is it something different, i.e, insults is writing, which need not be false but just insulting?
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was "He knew the law and punishment, which is why he fled the country (why didn't he just say he was hacked?)" but on reading the Tweets, death seems to me to be a bit of an over reaction any sensible person would overturn.

Oh well. RIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: