Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

as a non-degree holder, how valuable is the first year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I am a Canadian citizen and I've heard of Athabasca. A degree from an online institution like that would be good enough to get me into South Korea for example?

I've never looked into it, how long does it typically take to complete the degree? Would it be something I could do while living in Asia, on the side?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtd wrote:
tttompatz wrote:
Can you find LEGAL work in East / Southeast Asia = yes in places like:
Cambodia. Laos,. Indonesia.

No, NOT legal work (proper visa and work/residence permits) in China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan. A DEGREE (3 or 4 year doesn't matter) from an accredited university is required.

Thanks tttompatz and everyone else. I have been seeing that Indonesia is a place i can legally work and to be honest it seams the most appealing to me (i've heard the salaries in Cambodia and Laos are relatively low where as Indonesia not so much). However I'm currently speaking with the company where i got my TESOL cert. (Oxford Seminars) and they are telling me that they have contacts in China and Thailand where a degree is not necessary. However they also told me their contacts in Indonesia require a degree. Does this sound legit?

I've yet to question them, I figured I'd ask around here first. Ideally I'd prefer to work somewhere legal!

You got a cert from someone who makes their money selling dreams. Your TEFL cert really isn't worth much (it seems that the SEAMS in your pants need repair though).

You cannot get legal work in China without a degree (immigration requirement NOT an employer one).
The same is true in Thailand.
Indonesia currently only requires a TEFL cert to get a visa and job but with the integration of ASEAN in 2015 that will change to a requirement of a degree in ALL ASEAN countries as well.

Good luck and be VERY careful with your TEFL employment from your course provider.

naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: as a non-degree holder, how valuable is the first year? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Also be aware that as of 2015 a degree WILL be a requirement in ALL of the ASEAN countries. The days of the backpacker TEFL teacher are fast becoming a thing of the past and rapidly going the way of the Dodo bird.

Finally, if you are NOT American you have legitimate ways and means of earning a degree in your spare time on a limited budget from proper universities (Open University in the UK, Athabasca U if you are in Canada, etc.) with recognized, accredited undergraduate degrees.

Really: 2015? Wow, that's good. Standards will be raised, though I'm guessing there will be more fake degrees.

Americans shoudl check out U of Maryland Asia campus. It's aimed at military, but us "regular" people can also get in.
Tudor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indonesia currently only requires a TEFL cert to get a visa and job

Actually, the requirement is a degree in English or Education but, as with so many things in Indonesia, it's applied haphazardly, and money talks.

Nevertheless, this recently-introduced and semi-implemented regulation is causing problems for many employers and employees. A couple of years ago you could get a reasonably-well paid position ($1200+) with just a TEFL certificate, but it's not as easy nowadays. There's a few threads on the Indonesia forum about this as well as elsewhere on the internet.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtd wrote:
Also, I am a Canadian citizen and I've heard of Athabasca. A degree from an online institution like that would be good enough to get me into South Korea for example?

I've never looked into it, how long does it typically take to complete the degree? Would it be something I could do while living in Asia, on the side?

Athabasca is equivalent to a regular university here in Canada - it would take you 3 or 4 years (they offer 3 year degrees for those with "grade 13") of full-time university study, just like any other university in Alberta. If you are working, then it will almost certainly take longer.

I'm not sure what other countries would think of it - it has a good reputation in Canada but some places stigmatize legitimate online education.

Another option (if you are interested) is Simon Fraser University in British Columbia which offers some degree programs fully online but you get the same degree as if you attended on campus.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtd wrote:
tttompatz wrote:
Can you find LEGAL work in East / Southeast Asia = yes in places like:
Cambodia. Laos,. Indonesia.

No, NOT legal work (proper visa and work/residence permits) in China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan. A DEGREE (3 or 4 year doesn't matter) from an accredited university is required.

Thanks tttompatz and everyone else. I have been seeing that Indonesia is a place i can legally work and to be honest it seams the most appealing to me (i've heard the salaries in Cambodia and Laos are relatively low where as Indonesia not so much). However I'm currently speaking with the company where i got my TESOL cert. (Oxford Seminars) and they are telling me that they have contacts in China and Thailand where a degree is not necessary. However they also told me their contacts in Indonesia require a degree. Does this sound legit?

I've yet to question them, I figured I'd ask around here first. Ideally I'd prefer to work somewhere legal!

Your VERY welcome.

FYI, go back and start/finish a degree program. There is NO future in EFL without a degree!

Razz
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

FYI, go back and start/finish a degree program. There is NO future in EFL without a degree!

Razz

There is no future as any kind of teacher (EFL or otherwise) without one or perhaps, in the case of such things as sports, an equivalent amount of time spent perfecting your expertise (you won't become a martial arts instructor with only a 30 day cert either).

technohater

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof Gringo,

What is the name of that uni that offers the degree course online if you 're in mexico city. I 'd appreciate the information. Thank you.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: as a non-degree holder, how valuable is the first year? Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Unfortunately, having experience won't get you a work permit for those countries; you'd need a 4-year degree.

I seem to think you can work in Japan without a degree if you have three years of relevant and verifiable experience, but certainly not one.

A 4-year degree? The majority of degree courses in the UK take three years - are you suggesting that most British graduates are precluded from working in Korea or Japan? I think the idea of a country only accepting a "4-year degree" is a slightly dated and US-centric conceit, although I'm prepared to stand corrected.

Just FYI: Almost all undergraduate degrees at Scottish universities take 4 years.

To the OP: Salaries and working conditions in TEFL are often bad enough for those of us with an undergraduate, or even a postgraduate, degree, so how much lower down the food chain do you think you're going to be with just your oxford seminars tesol certificate? Smile Besides that, every man and his dog has a degree these days. If you want to work in the field of education, i'd suggest you at least start off at the same educational level as 40% of the general population! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: