Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surfing and Teaching: Whats the ideal for South America?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Surfing and Teaching: Whats the ideal for South America? Reply with quote

I like the idea of a nice warm climate to escape to from Dublin. I know that it is time for me to perfect a new language and ideally would like to situate myself somewhere for two or three years, learn the language and find some decent surf spots.

Since I know that decent surf spots don't always grow in city's I am looking for a sizeable enough city with some decent surf nearby. the problem is that i don't want to get trapped in a terrible slave-wage school just because it is located near the perfect tube for 280 days a year.

so if anyone can recommend a city that has more than 10 language schools and tends to cater to the flip flop crowd, could you please throw some advice my way!

Thanks

Tim Wink
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Surfing and Teaching: Whats the ideal for South America Reply with quote

So you want to know where paradise is, eh?

Now if anyone really knew such a spot, do you think they'd be foolish enough to tell anyone and bring in the competition?!? Wink
TBone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw what was posted as your location and I have been to a bit south of there before. it is as close to paradise as I have been! Are you trying to tell me something? how are the wages there?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Chile Reply with quote

Apparently, there is some awesome surf in Chile, around Valparaiso and Vina del Mar. Not much for teaching jobs there though. If you went to Santiago to teach, you would be 2-3 hours from the coast.

Oaxaca, Mexico has great surf too, but nothing for a teaching job within 5 hours rickety bus trip to the waves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBone wrote:
I saw what was posted as your location and I have been to a bit south of there before. it is as close to paradise as I have been! Are you trying to tell me something? how are the wages there?

There is little in the way of good surf outside of Bali. One of my fellow teachers here in Jakarta is a huge fan of surfing. He's been trying for a few months to line up a teaching job anywhere he can on Bali and despite having 3 years of teaching experience is having zero success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: