Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online MA ok to teach in Canada?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: online MA ok to teach in Canada? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm a 34 year-old anglophone Montrealer, can speak French well, B.A. in English, CELTA and about 7 years of teaching exp. in Korea. I'd love to return to Canada to teach ESL at a college or Uni. Would an M.A. be necessary and if so would an online one be looked on favourably? Thanks for your help.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need an MA to teach at a college. Be prepared to teach as a sessional though. If you thinking of Quebec, don't close yourself off from the possibility of teaching at a CEGEP.

Online MA's are generally not looked on as favorably as MAs done in person. That said if you are thinking of Canada and you were leaning towards doing an online or distance MA - you should do one of the courses in the UK such as Surrey or u of Birmingham. There are others too. Since Canada has close connections with with the UK these may be better bets.

If you get an online MA, it could all work out if you do some college teaching over in Korea before you go back...

Again doing the MA once you get to Montreal could be a stronger option though.

NOTE: most of the jobs are in public school these days.... for ESL
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather stick with adults and CEGEP should be fine. I was thinking of taking the TWU MATESOL in-house but not working for a year with a wife and two kids would be a terrible financial burden. So you're sayng with K Uni. exp. (which I have) and an online MA (which I don't have yet) I should be ok? And BTW, would it be like in K, i.e. only abut 15 contact hrs./week and 5 months of paid vacation? And what's the salary like? Just about anywhere in Canada will do.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to answer specifics, but I can't or shouldn't try really since I don't live there anymore.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am originally from Langley, British Columbia and I am familiar with the TWU masters - it is well respected however quite expensive and does not not require some religious/missions studies as well? (not sure if that's your thing or not).

I'm in Montreal right now. You may want to try calling around to the CEGEPs and see what's available now.

Are you opposed to children/teens? I'm not sure if you've been reading the news here lately but it looks like mandatory English immersion will start to come into effect soon (after the 6th grade). Half-English and Half-French for francophone students. It's quite controversial but will open up a lot of new jobs.
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Masters Applied Linguistics that I did through distance learning with the University of Southern Queensland in Australia. I am Canadian and have been working in a federally and provincially funded LINC/immigrant school on the east coast...my degree impressed and helped me land the job :

~smedini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: