Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet Another Huge BLOW to Mex Tourism!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have nothing to justify to anyone about what you did, and self-preservation may have been the only option left to you; but, you go too far to say self-preservation overrides all other considerations in human behavior. That just leaves too many things unexplained.

That would explain why my wife gets so annoyed when I sound my horn at a patrol car in front of me when I'm inconvenienced by their bad driving! Wink
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room for difference where? In my opinions? Or in the genetic make up of our species?

Individual differences are more to do with personality. Instincts make us what we are as a specie. s Personality differences make us who we are as people. In life endangering situations we are genetically programmed to survived, nothing to do with personality.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
Room for difference where? In my opinions? Or in the genetic make up of our species?

Individual differences are more to do with personality. Instincts make us what we are as a specie. s Personality differences make us who we are as people. In life endangering situations we are genetically programmed to survived, nothing to do with personality.

Sounds fair enough, all animals have that instinct.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reproduction is right up there too...regardless of what my wife may say .. Laughing
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
Reproduction is right up there too...regardless of what my wife may say .. Laughing

Nah, that's just your excuse, she can see right through you! Wink
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is me thinking you were the one craving sausage. Wink
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
These kinds of discussions always seem to break into two camps, one of which cannot understand why the others would resist, and the second marvelling that there are those so willing to be pushed around.

The second group is willing to risk harm, even death, and considers that to surrender is the worse outcome: the first finds little worth dying for.

I don�t think it�s because the one doesn�t value their life, it�s just that they find other things of sufficient value to risk losing it. I thought D.L. and Guy pretty well summed it all up.

For the group willing to give up in the face of superior force, where would you find to draw the line, and say, �Basta!�, even if it costs you your life?

Tret, you might enjoy this article at cracked.com on a vaguely tangential line to this thread (I'm indulging a bit as we're in the off topic forum).

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-rich-people-need-to-stop-saying_p2/

The crux being "we're all in this together" might ring true for some of us here, the 99% or otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: