Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why so sad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technohater

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: why so sad? Reply with quote

Having trolled through the vast majority of the country forums, it annoys me the amount of negativity in the posts.
There is a wealth of useful information on these forums, but the amount of moaning about wages, standard of living etc is disheartening.
I live in Ireland where you can't buy a job at the moment. Prior to this, I was teaching in the Czech Republic. It was a great experience and I wish I was still there.
I don't think anyone gets into this game to get rich. I think anyone interested should give it it and go, and sure if it doesn't work out, there are worse tragedies in life.
Sorry to rant, but times are tough and do what you can to get on. I hazard that most tefl jobs are better than lying on the dole
All the best
denise

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The negativity is one of the reasons I don't frequent the forums much anymore. This is a very unique job/career, and folks that complain about it might as well give it up and get an office job. I started TEFLing 13 years ago, and I've never regretted it.

d
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sadness is mainly related to this tragic news:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=96254&highlight=
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like to moan about their work. That's the way people are. Some of it is completely justified, and some of it isn't. If you go on forums which deal with other professions, you'll often find the same thing. I know lots of people in lots of different professions back home, and they all moan about their jobs too! I think it's a pretty rare thing to work in a job that you truely love.

Personally, I like my current job, and definitely recognise the advantages of TEFLing in the ME, with all its perks and tax-free savings, especially compared to the bleak situation back home in the UK, but it doesn't mean I have to be happy when I feel I have been treated badly by colleagues or students, or am suffering stress because of nonsense in the workplace, does it?

Bear in mind that this website is, amongst other things, a place where people come to discuss their work-related frustrations and gripes, with the benefit of anonymity, because they may not get the chance to do so otherwise (at least not very easily).

And besides, as well as the negativity, there's also a lot of positivity and good humour on these forums. You can do your bit by trying to focus on the positive. Very Happy
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the beauty of ESL!

After Nordics, priests and farmers, don't we have the highest suicide rates? Very Happy
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ancient_dweller wrote:
That is the beauty of ESL!

After Nordics, priests and farmers, don't we have the highest suicide rates? Very Happy

We must be in the top three for alcoholism too! (Hic!)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you say that?!!! Where's yer evidence? Huh?!!!

Hic!
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We must be in the top three for alcoholism too! (Hic!)

Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: