Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low-cost US med tests & exam for employment visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KME0050 wrote:
I

For one, the form that included my doctor's medical license number was supposed to be certified by either the Department of Health or some state authority. I called my county health department and was told that this is not a function they can perform.

You have to have the doctor's medical license which the doctor knows, but don't bother with the Department of Health verification or whatever that is. They don't need it.

Also for general info the practitioner has to be a doctor, which is an MD or DO. Osteopaths are doctors too. They might be a little cheaper too.

Last edited by plumpy nut on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
Unless some one is holding out on sharing crucial information with us about this nightmare of a medical report, as a direct hire, there is no way around it. However, places with "western contracts" seem to not be sticklers about having every examination or lab test done.

If I'm gonna have another one done in KSA, I really don't understand why they're having me spend my hard earned cash for some useless pieces of paper. Oh yea, it turns out they will not reimburse me for anything but plane tickets. WTH??!!! Mad

You have a bad company. I will be reimbursed just as soon as I track down the labs and doctor to get new receipts. After 6 months of having visa problems over weird petty stuff, I gave up and low and behold comes the visa. I had thrown away the receipts.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
I will apply for a Saudi work visa in the Netherlands. The embasy does not accept personal applications; I have to apply through an agency. I called an official agency (approved by the Saudi embassy) to ask about the medical. And the person I talked to said that I only need to get tested for HIV and Hepatitis, and that the doctor can just say "no anomaly" for the other tests. (So no urine or stool tests). I asked about the X-ray, and the lady said I don't need it. So I am a bit surprised. Would it be a problem if I go to Saudi without an X-ray report, because at the end of the medical form, it says "The medical report and x-ray should be submitted to the health authorities in Saudi Arabia"

If the agency gets you your visa then that's it, no further worries. Just get what the agency says you have to provide.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've received a few PMs lately about how to find lab testing centers, I'm bumping this thread.

For websites on labs that perform inexpensive tests, do an Internet search on: cheap low cost test lab. You'll want to comparison shop---prices are likely to vary.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul, this thread is excellent and should be made a sticky. I'm in the visa process to teach in Kuwait this fall and, while some of the tests are a little different from Saudi Arabia's requirements, the general tips you gave are just great. Thanks!
ttxor1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primary Heath Clinic did all my work for about $400. I looked at requestatest.com, but i think the report was going to be signed by a Phd in Chemistry -- not an MD.. for the HIV test, i went to my county's health clinic and they did it for $35. The doc wouldn't sign the Saudi health form as he didn't do the lab tests, chest xray, physical exam, etc. He did provide me with a separate letter, on county letterhead and in triplicate, stating that the county performed the test on X date and the results attached...Even though he didn't sign the Saudi medical form, I got the doc's medical license verified by my state's medical board and stapled it to my county health clinic's letter. I'd suggest taking a few extra copies of the Saudi medical form to whoever does your work, as it might be unfamiliar to them...great thread nomad soul, it was extremely helpful to me!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttxor1 wrote:
but i think the report was going to be signed by a Phd in Chemistry --!

They will sign the lab tests because they are in charge of the lab that does it. Your doctor will sign the form. It doesn't matter if the doctor is a MD or a DO (they are the same, just from a different school). You only need to make sure the doctor signs the form and puts down his license number. The other state signatures that no doctor has ever heard off let alone tracked down you don't need to worry about. Oh yeah, and make sure the doctor checks off on and fills in the blanks (were relevant) on all the tests. That includes both HIV tests even though the lab will only do the one HIV test that all labs do. There shouldn't be a problem with the doctor checking both tests even though the lab only does the most state of the art accurate one.....why not?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
ttxor1 wrote:
but i think the report was going to be signed by a Phd in Chemistry

They will sign the lab tests because they are in charge of the lab that does it.

The lab result reports don't require the laboratory director's signature; this step isn't stated in the medical report instructions anyway. In fact, like many hospital/medical clinic patients, I received the results of each of my lab tests as attached pdf reports via an email message directly from the lab. Although I ordered my tests on my own, each report included the name and info of the lab's designated referring physician as well as the laboratory director's name, academic credential, and contact info. I simply printed out the reports to take with me for my physical exam.

By the way, the directors of these labs are PhDs in scientific-research fields as opposed to being MDs. Additionally, drug companies, hospitals, physician offices, local government agencies, etc., outsource their diagnostic testing and research needs to these same laboratories. Because the labs also do screenings for individuals, you avoid paying a hospital or medical office's high administration fee by ordering the tests on your own and as a walk-in to the lab.
SirAristede

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Soul, I followed your instructions for getting my lab work and physical done on the cheap and it worked like a charm. Thanks for much for this great advice. Very Happy

I went to a lab in an adjacent suburb and only paid $120 for the lab tests (HIV, Hep B & C, Syphilis, Filariasis, and Malaria) in order to apply for my Kuwait entry visa. The lab didn't even know what Filariasis was when I called so I brought in some info from the CDC (it's a parasite). Since they don't routinely check for malaria or filariasis, the lab's director just had them both run as one test and had the specimens examined; my blood showed no trace of either disease (of course). The process was quick and I got my results via e-mail just yesterday. The lab did make an error with my date of birth on the results, so I called and they corrected the reports and reissued them to me (be sure to analyze your results, folks!). And the best part of all this was that the lab was just down the road from my grandparents, so I got to visit them too!

I had my physical and chest x-ray (to check for tuberculosis) done today. The physical was rather quick and I was certified to be in good health; I have to wait until next week for the results of the x-ray since it has to be read by a radiologist. Since Kuwait requires a "certificate of good health", I just found a generic one on the Internet and presented it to the doctor at the immediate care center along with my lab results. The physical cost me $67.50 and the chest x-ray was $78, which wasn't too bad. I called all around my city (Chicago) to find the cheapest rates and this was the cheapest I found that was reliable and where I wanted to travel.

All in all, it was a good experience and I only paid $265.50. Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out well for you, SirAristede.

I want to add that although some of the laboratory tests indicated on the medical report are outdated, that's to be expected; diagnostic testing processes and guidelines have evolved over the years due to breakthroughs and advances in clinical research as well as improved technology. In other words, a disease or disorder may have been around for decades or centuries---since its discovery. Yet the tests for its detection and diagnosis have changed, causing some screening tests to become obsolete. (Case in point, there's now a blood test that can better detect and assess tuberculosis; however, it's not yet widely available.)

So instead of focusing on the clinical name of the diagnostic test indicated on the Saudi medical report, consider the disease to be tested when speaking with the physician who will request your lab tests (if you're going through a doctor rather than ordering the tests on your own). For example, it's better to say, "I need to be screened for XXX (disease)," rather than, "The form states I have to have the OMG test to check for XXX (disease)." Wink
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this again since it's that time of the year.
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned that the English version of the med report is for suckers, which it essentially is. You may ask, "do they really check for Bhilarizahsisi?" Answer is: not really. If you are lucky enough to get gov't hospitals to do the physical, they generate TONS of paperwork that the avg. clerk is unwilling to go thru. My exam had no ref. to Bhilarizhsisiw.
However, the visa company told me that they do check for HIV/VD, STD, and hepatitis ABC. Make sure those are covered. Hang on to old chest X-rays and scratch out the exam dates w/ a pen. Resubmit them as new X-rays.

When you submit a complete package, it's a daunting amount of paperwork. Do you think they really go thru the whole thing when they have a backlog of papers to shuffle? Mad
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
When you submit a complete package, it's a daunting amount of paperwork. Do you think they really go thru the whole thing when they have a backlog of papers to shuffle?

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, the visa application documents get reviewed by different entities. For example, the SACM verifies academic credentials, while a medical team for the consulate's side reviews the med report and supporting documents. It's unclear if the document reviews are concurrent (i.e., the application packet gets divided) as opposed to evaluated by one department before being passed to another. Regardless, the more legible, complete, and organized the visa application and supporting documents are, the quicker the paperwork moves through the process for approval.
RisingStock

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Cheers for the info! Reply with quote

Found this EXCELLENT thread about doing the Saudi exam on the cheap. This after passportHealthUSA.com said it was going to be $1,200. SMH

I read the entire 5 pages of the thread and was just wondering if you had any advice. Specifically, if I farm out all the different sections except for the physical exam (blood, chest, STD) do I need to have each examiner fill out their respective parts, or just the final examer fill it all out....if she/he even would? (Not sure how that would work, as there would be multiple signatures.....but was hoping you'd know better.)

That might be clear as mud. To clarify, who fills out and signs the final document......in triplets?

Since when did we need to get full body cavity searches to go teach English? Lol, might as well complain about the rain, right?

Especially helpful would be if anyone out there has gone through this and has any links from the VA/DC area.

These are what I had so far for anyone in the same boat, although this is a tentative list:
http://www.privatemdlabs.com
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/privatemdlabs.com
Google Search: cheap low cost test lab

Any advice you could give would be helpful, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: