Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Career Progression
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: A Career Progression Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well, after 11 years, 6 jobs, and 5 countries, I'm heading back to the USA in April.
The best (and most amazing) part of the move is that the position I've attained in the US is directly related to English language education: I am the new Center Director of a language school (which is part of a large company) on the campus of a university in the South (as a Yank, it'll be just as foreign as India was Very Happy). It is a salaried position with full benefits in what appears to be a solid company; I am very lucky to have been hired from abroad (especially in light of "this economy").
EFL as a career has been great to me. I will most definitely miss the challenges, adventures, and people I have met along the way. However, I have two little kiddos to think about, so my wife and I have decided to make this move (although the immigration process for the US--my wife is Russian--is making us second-guess the move more and more).
I wanted to share my news not because I'm looking for a bunch of pats on the back (I'll take 'em though Wink) but because I wanted to be living proof that EFL can be a career abroad which then leads to a career "back home" (if that's one's desire). When I started EFL, I had no teaching experience, no TEFL certificate, a BA, and only the clothes on my back (ok, ok, that last one is for dramatic effect; I did only have like $250 after buying a plane ticket, though). I have since attained a CELTA, have been serving as an IELTS examiner, and will complete a Master's degree in a couple of months' time. I hope to eventually start an Ed. D or Phd in educational management (or curriculum?...haven't decided!) sometime in the next few years.
In 2001, I started out as a teacher making $300/month in Ukraine, then took a $700/month job in Mexico, then lived off of cockroaches in Argentina (again, dramatic) before taking a $1200/month job in India. From India, I came to Russia where I have been a senior teacher, then an ADOS, then a Managing Director of what has eventually become a chain of three good-sized English schools.
Again, I'm not posting my life story to brag: I'd like to share how I was able to make "this EFL thing" work as a career (as many others have done, in various ways). There is a clear progression to my career path thus far, and I hope this progression will continue down the road.
Here's to hoping that everyone out there enjoys their time in this industry as much as I have, and that everyone's future will be a bright one.

It would be great if others shared how their careers have progressed!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! That's great. I've also thought about going back or going somewhere to stay at least. The benefits that you can get are good. Places like DLI are what I'm looking at.
DebMer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to read your story and to know you're successful in your work.

I don't have a similar progression... yet. I'm a wee babe in the field, having been an elementary school teacher previously. I'm in my second year of adult ESL instruction, and looking at getting an MA and broadening my options.
denise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

I've also made the transition back home into a full-time salaried position at a university. I started at the bottom--got my TEFL certificate in Prague waaaay back in 1999, taught for a couple of years, got my MA, and then country-hopped for 7 or 8 years, working mostly at universities & by the end getting into materials development & program coordination (I was the assistant, not the coordinator--but I am MUCH happier in a classroom than doing any sort of admin work, so it'll be a while before I even consider being an assistant coordinator again!).

Salaries for ESL teachers aren't great, and there are people in the field who compare themselves to professors and then notice our lower salaries, lack of tenure, etc., but I don't look at things that way. I'm not a professor, nor do I want to be one. I'm doing exactly what I want to do, in my home country, with a salary that is livable, with health insurance & benefits, and overall I'm very happy to be home.

d
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, and thank you for taking the time to post. Nature of the internet is to hear a lot about failures and not enough about the successes out there.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear! Good for you! You�re an example of why it�s smart to keep upgrading your skills and progressively taking on a variety of responsibilities over your teaching career. Good luck in your new position.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Congrats, and thank you for taking the time to post. Nature of the internet is to hear a lot about failures and not enough enough about the successes out there.

Precisely. It is my hope that a thread like this will help to counterbalance (at least slightly) the oodles of "Oh, TEFL is not a career choice..." threads.

I look forward to reading the experiences and successes of others.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair and Balanced as one of my favorite posters might proffer. Wink

The question of career and EFL comes up a fair bit in the Mexico forum, and we divide into two camps on it. I'm of the opinion that hard work, dedication to professional development, and good networking skills will move you forward. Others believe that doesn't matter as ESL/EFL back home is at best a community college night class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Fair and Balanced as one of my favorite posters might proffer. Wink

The question of career and EFL comes up a fair bit in the Mexico forum, and we divide into two camps on it. I'm of the opinion that hard work, dedication to professional development, and good networking skills will move you forward. Others believe that doesn't matter as ESL/EFL back home is at best a community college night class.

I'm in your camp (obviously) on this point. I have yet to meet an EFLer who worked hard, took part in ongoing development, was personable and didn't progress professionally.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

What do you see as the reason behind such divisiveness over this topic? And does it seem to be limited to certain regions or countries?
godmachine12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A Career Progression Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Hi all,
I am the new Center Director of a language school (which is part of a large company) on the campus of a university in the South (as a Yank, it'll be just as foreign as India was Very Happy).

First off, congratulations and best of luck getting your Russian wife through the nonsensical immigration process. Where are you going to be living and working in the South? Depending on where you are, it's not as bad as you might think. There are parts of South and North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia that are fabulous.
gator07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Very encouraging. Smile
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: A Career Progression Reply with quote

godmachine12 wrote:
jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Hi all,
I am the new Center Director of a language school (which is part of a large company) on the campus of a university in the South (as a Yank, it'll be just as foreign as India was Very Happy).

First off, congratulations and best of luck getting your Russian wife through the nonsensical immigration process. Where are you going to be living and working in the South? Depending on where you are, it's not as bad as you might think. There are parts of South and North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia that are fabulous.

Thank you! I will be working in northern Louisiana. I'm not seriously concerned about living and working there; it will definitely be an adjustment, though, no doubt. Hey, it's not Honolulu, but a guy's gotta start somewhere!

+1 on the "nonsensical immigration process". Get this: We live in Vladivostok (9-hour flight to Moscow), and my wife has to fly to Moscow for a 10-minute interview just to get the visa (that's two-three days and a couple grand). If she had just gone over on a tourist visa, she could have simply adjusted status IN the US (which would have taken longer, but we would be together and save the trip to Moscow). This is completely legal; however, you cannot ENTER the US with INTENT to adjust status, so that would have been against the rules. Now we can't just get her a regular visa because all the US consulate people know us and what our intentions are (Vladivostok is small), so they wouldn't give my wife a regular tourist visa (they already told me this Very Happy) if she applied.
It's a crazy, stupid, long process for an American citizen who's been married for five years, with two children, and a job offer. Now, I'll have to go over alone and be without my family for two to four months while my wife waits for her immigration stuff to go through the system.
In FACT, even RUSSIA (with its famously ludicrous bureaucracy) has a much better system for resident visas. How's that?!
Ok, rant over Laughing
artemisia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to read about your achievements Jpvanderwerf2001! Your story is as important as any other kind on this board. Sharing how you got to be where you are is interesting information.

Success can be defined in different ways, but I think in most fields it relies on determination, developing yourself to the best of your ability and making the most of opportunities that come your way in terms of work and further education. Sometimes it's also about being in the right place at the right time - pure luck.

I hope you'll have time to update the thread on how things progress with the new job.

(PS: Do people really have "favourite posters"? I guess there must be an 'in' club on Dave's! : )) )
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

What do you see as the reason behind such divisiveness over this topic? And does it seem to be limited to certain regions or countries?

I'm not sure about progressing in other regions...in Latin America, it's more difficult in that it just isn't handed to you on a platter. You have to work for it. I suspect China is similar.

Quote:
(PS: Do people really have "favourite posters"? I guess there must be an 'in' club on Dave's! : )) )

Favorite in single quotes, for me anyway. Like using the word 'special'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: