Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spain in crisis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hHold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Spain in crisis Reply with quote

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Madrid in September. Do teachers still get much work despite the crisis? I am not expecting to get a high wage but I would like to be kept busy. Are there any particular schools you recommend for Business English teachers?

Ta
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's loads of work in Madrid in September. Don't worry, there's no chance of you being unemployed (barring an economic meltdown between now and then). In fact, I would say if anything the crisis has made many Spaniards even more determined to learn English and break their cycle of language mediocrity.

Can't recommend you anything, though. I'm just speaking from my impressions as someone who occasionally browses the options available for work at language schools or hears of offers, but never takes them.
Moore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Grimace: surprisingly there is loads of work for teachers here in Madrid. There is definitely a feeling here among Spaniards that actually having a good level of English (rather than just claiming to on their CVs) is vital for getting a job, for both themselves and their children.

Another factor may be that expats here have niche jobs that were never really that easy for a Spaniard to get: teaching English (as a native speaker), translating, working in Irish bars, running small expat-oriented businesses, etc. They may not be the most well-paid jobs in Spain, but they are fairly recession-proof.

And then there is the fact that Madrid in itself is not doing that badly: lots of company headquarters are here and tourism is going strong. Overall in Spain things are pretty grim, but during the daytime the streets are still full of late-model cars and if you go out on a weekend here, the bars are full of locals drinking like it's going out of fashion.

Working as a teacher in Madrid does not pay a fortune, but the wages are definitely live-able if you can find a way to survive over the summer dry-period and it definitely beats being on the dole or flipping burgers at home.

...send your c.v. around ALL the schools in Madrid, Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, Milan, Rome, Lisbon, Porto and Buenos Aires... www.lingobongo.com/cvsender/
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what's been said (also for Barcelona) but don't think it's quite as simple as that.

You will find that work is available, but will only find that it is easy to get if you are on the spot (ie in the city) at the right time (ideally mid September), have a good CV, a proper qualification, some relevant experience, interview well, look like you will make a good teacher, sound as if you will, and are prepared to travel if necessary and work in conditions that are not ideal.

If you look like a backpacker, sorry, but it's not that easy.
jovencito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Grimace and Moore for Madrid, English is becoming very important. I don't know about Barcelona as I've never taught there.
Binary_Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me an idea of roughly how many hours of work needed to survive in Madrid?
pr455

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary_Star wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea of roughly how many hours of work needed to survive in Madrid?

This depends on how you define "survive."

Many academies still pay only 15� an hour and when the student cancels on time, usually with 24 hour notification, you won't get paid. It's hard to find summer work because it's just not there.

How much do you want to pay in rent? Are you willing to share or live alone? Do you need to go out and drink and party every weekend? These are some questions that you must answer for yourself.

Think about it and we can help you from there.

Shawn
Binary_Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't really know what the rents are like there. But I'm happy to live with others. Preferably just one other but more if i need to. When you say Summer, you mean June and July and August?
pr455

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary_Star wrote:
Well, I don't really know what the rents are like there. But I'm happy to live with others. Preferably just one other but more if i need to. When you say Summer, you mean June and July and August?

Now we are talking. There is a site called "compartepiso" and you can get an idea there of what rents are like when sharing a place.

Summer is normally July and August and many academies see students taking a break from classes in the middle of June. Most people do summer camps in July and August to have enough money to live on in the summer. You will also have to start saving little by little for the summer as well because if you don't get a summer camp with kiddies, you can also do privates, but even they are scarce in the summer months.

Take a look at the site that I mentioned above and see what works for you. The max of many English teachers is 20 hours because you also have to realize that many teachers have to move around the city a lot to get to their classes.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I am always here to help people.

Suerte,

Shawn
Binary_Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with just 20 hours a week, what can one earn and what kind of life can one have, living in a modest but not bargain place and bearing in mind the saving for the Summer months too? I don't need luxury or to live on my own but it would be nice to do things sometimes. I thought that travelling around a lot to classes was common in many cities when it comes to teaching. Or is is more prevalent in Madrid? Or is just bigger distances in Madrid?
MoonMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So at the moment, on average, it's around 20 hours a week at 15 Euro's per hour, give or take some.

That's around 300 Euro's a week, minus taxes. (let's say 1200 Euro's a month)

Then living expenses and travel costs. (Say 400 rent / 200 food / 100 bills & travel costs)

From a rough calculation you might have 100 - 150 spare a week (or 400 - 600 Euro's spare a month).

It that a fair assessment of the current average salary and expenses in Madrid at the moment?

Thanks
Binary_Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this based on knowledge or pure guesswork?
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expenses sound about right for a single person with a very basic lifestyle living in Madrid in a flatshare. 20 hours a week would feel like full time if you've got a horrendous timetable with lots of moving around and are exploited to the maximum. 25 or maybe a couple more would be possible with a better schedule. I'd be looking to earn 1,500 euros or more a month, but I have no idea what academies pay. They all just say "Competitive salaries. To be discussed at interview" in their ads.

Take into account that you generally won't be paid for July or August. September will probably get you partial monthly earnings, so watch out for that if you want to stay in Spain for more than a year.
pr455

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonMonkey wrote:
So at the moment, on average, it's around 20 hours a week at 15 Euro's per hour, give or take some.

That's around 300 Euro's a week, minus taxes. (let's say 1200 Euro's a month)

Then living expenses and travel costs. (Say 400 rent / 200 food / 100 bills & travel costs)

From a rough calculation you might have 100 - 150 spare a week (or 400 - 600 Euro's spare a month).

It that a fair assessment of the current average salary and expenses in Madrid at the moment?

Thanks

MoonMonkey,

What you have written is a good calculation, however, you would have to calculate a little less when it comes to the pay portion because you do not take into account that there are cancellations. When students cancel 24 hours in advacne, the teacher does not get paid.

The expenses part is one that can be adjusted, according to how the person lives. For example, I spend a lot less on food because 2 days of the week, I eat for free at my school. By me eating brown rice, roasted veggies, fruit, and fresh beans I don't spend a lot on food.

Once again, your calculations are great to get a general idea and it does help many people who have the same questions, but it will have to be adjusted as soon as the person starts working and reality steps into view.

Have a great day,

Shawn
Binary_Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the situation is similar in Barcelona? Barcelona appeals also. However, I did want to pick up Spanish and i hear htta they mainly speak Catalan in Barcelona. Is that true?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: