Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short(ish) term job in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CMR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: short(ish) term job in Thailand Reply with quote

Hi all,

I will be traveling overseas during 2012 and I will be in Thailand for 6 months (with a double-entry 60-day visa extendable each time to 90 days) beginning in April. While in Thailand I'm interested in teaching ESL. I have a BA in English Literature, a Masters, and a CELTA, but no teaching experience (my professional background is as an editor). Almost all the postings I've seen online are for a minimum of a year. I would like to know how I should be applying - in advance or when I arrive in Thailand, and what kind of job I can get with my qualifications and time constraints.

I searched the forum and I found a post that said that people who would like to teach short-term in Thailand should work at a language academy, but I'm not sure what that is.

Thank you for your help,
Charlotte
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: short(ish) term job in Thailand Reply with quote

CMR wrote:
Hi all,

I will be traveling overseas during 2012 and I will be in Thailand for 6 months (with a double-entry 60-day visa extendable each time to 90 days) beginning in April. While in Thailand I'm interested in teaching ESL. I have a BA in English Literature, a Masters, and a CELTA, but no teaching experience (my professional background is as an editor). Almost all the postings I've seen online are for a minimum of a year. I would like to know how I should be applying - in advance or when I arrive in Thailand, and what kind of job I can get with my qualifications and time constraints.

I searched the forum and I found a post that said that people who would like to teach short-term in Thailand should work at a language academy, but I'm not sure what that is.

Thank you for your help,
Charlotte

Start of term you can get one term contracts (May - Sept or Nov - Feb) with agencies that provide teachers to k-12 schools. The pay is not great (30k thb) but it is work. AYC has been advertising a lot as of late but there are lots of others out there as well.

IF you are on the ground there are always options at language centers / language academies, around the country. Dec-Feb are the slowest time for finding work. April-May are the busiest.

Language academies are "after-school" study centers that offer classes in English with a focus, depending on age, in grammar, conversation, TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS prep.

teacherkev

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an obvious thing to do, though I have overlooked this area before. Check with your network, you will be surprised at how many people will know someone on the ground in Thailand. I have been offered a contract role to start later this year teaching English to employees of a conglomerate. I know that this would not have come my way without the all important connection.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: short(ish) term job in Thailand Reply with quote

CMR wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you for your help,
Charlotte

You might find if you're there, on the ground, presenting yourself to schools in a professional manner, that they'll be interested in you regardless of a lack of experience. This is especially true due to you having a CELTA. It all depends if the manager/director likes the cut of your jib, or not. You could always visit a few places in person, hand in your CV, and offer to do a demo lesson?

Best of luck!
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a short term contract (1 term - 4-6 mths) do as ttom has suggested. Many agencies offer 1 term contracts. The money is fairly standard and you wont have to screw over a school by breaking a contract after a few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: