Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work without a degree, but with a CELTA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OliverN

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Finding work without a degree, but with a CELTA Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a CELTA, but no degree, it's vital that I gain some experience as sons as possible, and while doing so I intend to get a degree.

Does anyone have any advice as to which regions I may have the most luck in finding employment?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could still be the ways and means to work full-time in China, but you might prefer the relative straightforwardness of something like the working holiday visas in Japan (assuming you aren't too old), though bear in mind that the WHV isn't indefinite and has limits on its renewal (depending on nationality).
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working holiday visa is not for Americans, by the way. What is your nationality, Oliver?
OliverN

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm british and I'm 33!
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could possibly get a job, and a residence permit, in Turkey. You wouldn't be able to get a work permit though, so it would be working off the record, which is fairly common in Turkey.
337heaven

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation Oliver, keep us posted mate
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For citizens of the UK, Ireland, and other EU member states who are automatically eligible to work in the EU, degrees aren't legally required in continental European countries.

The problem is that you will be competing against a vast majority of candidates who do have a degree + CELTA or equivalent; this is what most new teachers bring to the table.

It's further problematic that many/most language students in the region (depending exactly where you go) are university educated adults, so you automatically lose a bit of credibility from that angle as well.

It's possible to get around the lack of degree by demonstrating a high level of professionalism and reliability, and if you've got business experience, it's worth playing up.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The problem is that you will be competing against a vast majority of candidates who do have a degree + CELTA or equivalent; this is what most new teachers bring to the table.

It's further problematic that many/most language students in the region (depending exactly where you go) are university educated adults, so you automatically lose a bit of credibility from that angle as well.
These are 2 very key points.

So, why then is it so "vital" that you gain experience as soon as possible? Just focus on getting the degree.
OliverN

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's vital because, I want to teach and progress. Confused

There are jobs out there which will take me without a degree, I'm not fussy about which country I work in. It's mainly a visa issue, not an academic one.

I will get that "vital" degree, but at the right time and in a worthy subject.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliverN wrote:

There are jobs out there which will take me without a degree, I'm not fussy about which country I work in. It's mainly a visa issue, not an academic one.

This whole post sounds so painfully desperate. You probably won't heed a word I write, but I will at least try to tell you that you should reconsider and get the degree first.

To say it's a visa issue in one breath and then to write "vital" in quotation marks in another suggests you might not truly consider the education of value. Maybe I'm misreading you here.
OliverN

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
OliverN wrote:

This whole post sounds so painfully desperate. You probably won't heed a word I write, but I will at least try to tell you that you should reconsider and get the degree first.

To say it's a visa issue in one breath and then to write "vital" in quotation marks in another suggests you might not truly consider the education of value. Maybe I'm misreading you here.

I'm well aware of the merit of a degree.
OliverN

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you have understood the thread, or it's purpose.

Saying, just get a degree, isn't helpful.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what very little it seems to be worth (as it's been ignored so far), I'll repeat the essence of my post above: you do not legally have to have a degree to work in continental Europe.

I wrote:

Quote:

It's possible to get around the lack of degree by demonstrating a high level of professionalism and reliability, and if you've got business experience, it's worth playing up.
OliverN

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral, I had meant to reply earlier! I'm hunting/ looking everywhere, also I'm going to a job fair in Spain.. hopefully that will bare fruit.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliverN wrote:
I'm not sure if you have understood the thread, or it's purpose.

Saying, just get a degree, isn't helpful.
I wrote what I did to emphasize the simple fact that without a degree, you will not be able to find work in many countries (for visa requirements and for the sake of competition). I meant to prod you into thinking about which places you might want to work in the long term, where a degree would be required, too. Some people go where they can get by with the minimal qualifications, and they have the goal of getting/finishing a degree by distance education (or after they have returned home), but things do not always happen as planned. Then, they become limited to certain areas of the world, when they would have been better off getting the degree first (and finding out how much harder it can be to do it later sometimes).

As far as I can see, your OP was written solely to ask where you can find work without a degree. Fine. Others can tell you that. My intention was to open your eyes to the bigger picture and to help you avoid problems that you might encounter by needlessly rushing into things.

The only specific advice I can give about the country where I now live (Japan) is that you can find work here without a degree, but it will mean you have to be on a student visa or cultural activities visa and can only work part-time. After you get 3 years of teaching experience, you can go full-time. Beyond that, Japan's doors are pretty much closed to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: