Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a shared apartment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcm021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Finding a shared apartment Reply with quote

A few people have advised against arranging for housing through IH, and instead finding a room in a shared apartment through CompartoApto or other classifieds.

As of now my plan is to arrive in Bogota five days prior to the start of the class with the hope of securing a place before class starts. If I'd be willing to pay around 500.000 COP, any thoughts on how realistic this is?

What do people who advertise a room on sites like CompartoApto want in terms of documentation, cedula, etc? Is something like an upfront payment of a month or two of rent typically sufficient to secure a room in a shared apartment?

Thanks in advance for any help.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Bogot� taking the CELTA now.

I pretty much did the same thing, I arrived 5 days before the CELTA class started and I still was able to find a place on CompartoApto even though it was holy week and everyone was on vacation.

Just be aware of what you get, location, etc. for the price you pay. When I was looking, a ton of people were trying to basically rip me off from places like couchsurfing and craigslist. I found a place in a good location for 400k. You'll be fine.

I wasn't asked to make a deposit. I just paid for the month and signed a contract. They asked me if I had a cedula, and I said no just a passport.
bcm021

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's good to hear. So you didn't need anything like a recommendation or someone else to sign as well?
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcm021 wrote:
Thanks, that's good to hear. So you didn't need anything like a recommendation or someone else to sign as well?

Most likely its normally just through people looking to rent out an extra room. Think craigslist ect.

Not a company or business.

Might have to pay a deposit but thats about it, and im sure you can find a room without having to drop a deposit.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mundo anuncio . com
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcm021 wrote:

generally this is required if you want to rent your own place, but not if you're renting a room from someone else.
chromium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone out there looking for a roommate for a month or 2, or longer if it works out. I think I'm moving to Bogota this August but do not have a place to stay.

I have a Delta and am the DoS of a school in Ukraine, if that matters to anyone considering this message.

I've read the other posts regarding rooms. Will it be possible to have my own room and my own bath for $250 or so USD? I'm looking in the Chapinero area.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: