Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to approach colegios in Bogot�: E-mail? Call? Show up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: How to approach colegios in Bogot�: E-mail? Call? Show up? Reply with quote

I'm here in Bogot� and will start the colegio job search soon. I used the list of private colegios and organized everything. I have a CELTA and 2 years of experience so I'm looking for those schools willing to pay what I'm worth.

What's the best way of approaching schools?

Should I e-mail them? Cold call, or just show up to the schools with a resume and a smile? Cool Or is some sort of combination best?

I'm leaning toward cold-calling them to see if they have positions open.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't run around without an interview. I think a good CV is perfectly sufficient. Fine by email. For the colleges and universities it wouldn't be easy to roll up and talk to who you want.. If desperate then I would go in person to language schools, yes.

In my limited experience the bigger institutions are good at following up on enquiries if they really want you.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to approach colegios in Bogot�: E-mail? Call? Show u Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
I'm leaning toward cold-calling them to see if they have positions open.

Probably a good approach. Tell them you're a native English teacher and want to know specifically who to direct your cover letter to and ask for their email address.

I'd use this strategy in combination with looking for jobs posted in classifieds sections. I've taken the approach of just showing up with resume in hand before, but I find this only really works for less professional organizations (read: language institutes). Colegios often have guards and directors with busier schedules, not to mention the fact that the best colegios aren't usually very centrally located, so the logistics of just showing up becomes more complicated.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to ask about the visa situation related to university work. I have a number of contacts but they generally talk about contracts on an hourly rate, which essentially seems to be part-time positions. Would universities help part-time teachers with working visas?

Maybe to get the initial visa newcomers have to start at a language school or some such place....
originaloli

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this list of Colegios of which you speak, Lauren?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would also like to ask about the visa situation related to university work. I have a number of contacts but they generally talk about contracts on an hourly rate, which essentially seems to be part-time positions. Would universities help part-time teachers with working visas?

Not sure, but you can always work for an institute part time that does offer the visa.

Quote:
What is this list of Colegios of which you speak, Lauren?

http://losmejorescolegios.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: