Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

48, MA and experienced
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozman

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wael Wadi wrote:
If a Cantonese 8 year old were to go to Germany or UK, he would have to learn the host country's language to attend school.

Absolutely! But an 8 year old Chinese child arriving in UK, Australia etc. would first be put into an ILC - intensive language centre - for a few months - all funded by the government - then they would be enrolled in a school and taught English or German etc. as a 2nd language, with lots of support from ESL professionals. The Australian, German and UK governments in particular spend a huge amount of money on teaching migrants, refugees etc. the language. Not so here. There is ongoing support at primary, secondary and tertiary level for students as well as adults.

The English speaking 8 year old, enrolling in a local HK school is thrown in and expected to cope with the same curriculum as the locals. As someone else here pointed out, local kids have been learning their characters since kindergarten.
Wael Wadi

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: PGCE and Tuen Po Reply with quote

Did a little bit of digging and I am 3 months short of a PGCE. Looks like I'll have one in my grubby little hands by Dec2012 from an Australian uni.

Means I might start on 19 of the civil servant scale.

Been looking at the Norwegian school. It's in the NT in a city near an MRT station. Lutheran focus, small and compact. Looks adequate. Mandarin as a 2nd language is an option. I speak Mandarin (I studied it and lived in TW for 5 years), so I do know a little about what my child would be in for. My son already is fluent (to varying degrees of proficiency) in three languages and I'd like him to pick up Mandarin and/or a Latin language eventually.

Thanx for the input.

Research continues...

ww
From Korea to China.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking to move my teaching career to Hong Kong. I have a graduate degree and a (120 hour) online TEFL certificate. I've been here in Korea for twelve years. I've had enough of it and I'm ready to move on.

I've a question. In Korea I rarely put my full twelve years of teaching on my resume. Why? Because Korea is obsessed with paper work and documentation. For every school you ever worked at they want written references, proof of employment, plus this, that and the other. And the rules constantly change so you have to go back to jobs you were at ten years ago and ask for paperwork. (Who are you again?) Then you have to go back a year later for the same document, but this time in a sealed and signed envelope. Then this rule changes, and that rule changes. It's exasperating, so I usually just put the last five years on my resume. 'How long have you been in Korea?' Five year, I say.

Can I expect such bureaucratic headaches when transferring from Korea to Hong Kong. What documents will a potential school require from my previous employers in Korea? Also, my references are all in Korean (hangeul). Will I need them translated into Chinese and signed by a lawyer?

Confused
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Korea to China. wrote:

Can I expect such bureaucratic headaches when transferring from Korea to Hong Kong. What documents will a potential school require from my previous employers in Korea? Also, my references are all in Korean (hangeul). Will I need them translated into Chinese and signed by a lawyer?

Confused

Every year of age relevant experience you have on your CV - backed up with stamped English translations - counts for another point on the payscale.

References. In English.

Paperwork? AND SOME.....
sistercream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one employer (my current one) here in HK check references. Pre-written references are generally given short shrift; if an employer is going to check, they will contact your referee directly using the contact details you provide in your c.v.

For Immigration Department to issue an employment visa, you'll need at least some of your former employers to have provided letters simply detailing the dates and job description of your employment with them (in English or Chinese; Korean would require a certified translation).

@ Joshua - if you think HK requires lots of paperwork, you have lived a sheltered life thus far ... you should try applying for an employment visa or recognition of foreign professional qualifications in places like Taiwan, Macau, the USA, Australia, Germany, the UK, Guangdong Province ...

I can't speak for Korea, but compared with other places I've been, the procedures here are well streamlined (and no bribery required to get things done promptly!) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: