Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DebMer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics, or...? Reply with quote

I have a B.A. in English-Modern Languages and a multiple subject (elementary) teaching credential. I'm currently working part time with adults in ESL and part time with children (multiple subjects), and would like to expand my opportunities for adult ESL. I'm looking at masters programs with an eye to be qualified to teach ESL at university level either in the U.S. or abroad.

Which degree is better preparation and more versatile from the perspective of a potential employer: TESOL or Applied Linguistics? What are the strong and weak points of each? Are there other degree options I should consider?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, an MA in TESOL would be the better choice, especially if the program entails a practical component. On the other hand, I have several friends who hold MAs in Applied Lingustics---degree programs which were theoretic in content. They also completed either a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert since their programs didn't provide any teaching practice. However, another friend has an (older) MA in Applied Linguistics with a TEFL emphasis---a viable combination if you can find such a program. Another option is an MA in Teaching (MAT) with a TEFL emphasis, which is what I have. Either way, I suggest going with the MA program that includes the specific courses you need/want in order to enhance your career and objectives.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Nomad.

Looking for online MA programs, I also came across Western Governors University with an ESL program directed toward K-12 education: http://www.wgu.edu/education/master_education_english_language_learning

I was asking a friend (ESL dept. head at a community college) about the three possibilities, and he said that, at least in his community college world, the point is to have an ESL-related masters, and the specific masters is unimportant. What is your opinion of of that viewpoint in relation to the overseas TEFL scenario?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your friend; the TEFL/TESL component is key. As for other countries, I can speak for Saudi Arabia where a related MA (especially one that included a practical component), or an unrelated MA with a CELTA/equivalent TEFL cert is very likely to catch a prospective employer's eye. Relevant experience is important too, of course. BTW, not all universities in the Kingdom accept online degrees, but I believe other Mid East countries do.

If you check out the numerous international job ads posted on higheredjobs.com, chronicle.com, and the TESOL.org job link, you can see what credentials and skills overseas and US universities/colleges are looking for. This info is quite useful as a guide when determining and planning which degree program/coursework to pursue. For example, I made sure my MAT included coursework in curriculum design, language assessment and testing, an ESOL practicum, teaching ESL writing, ESP, etc. because I saw that these areas are highy regarded by most employers. It turned out to be a smart move.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I agree with your friend; the TEFL/TESL component is key. As for other countries, I can speak for Saudi Arabia where a related MA (especially one that included a practical component), or an unrelated MA with a CELTA/equivalent TEFL cert is very likely to catch a prospective employer's eye. Relevant experience is important too, of course. BTW, not all universities in the Kingdom accept online degrees, but I believe other Mid East countries do.

If you check out the numerous international job ads posted on higheredjobs.com, chronicle.com, and the TESOL.org job link, you can see what credentials and skills overseas and US universities/colleges are looking for. This info is quite useful as a guide when determining and planning which degree program/coursework to pursue. For example, I made sure my MAT included coursework in curriculum design, language assessment and testing, an ESOL practicum, teaching ESL writing, ESP, etc. because I saw that these areas are highy regarded by most employers. It turned out to be a smart move.

Thank you; this is very practical advice to consider. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: