Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JUST SAY NO TO SWARA GROUP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voltaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: JUST SAY NO TO SWARA GROUP Reply with quote

I see that these human beings are once again advertising on this site for teachers. Don't do it. You'll be sorry.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=82348&highlight=swara
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=76484&highlight=swara
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=72869&highlight=swara
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=81908&highlight=swara
aeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said yes. I wasn't sorry...
voltaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeh wrote:
I said yes. I wasn't sorry...

Perhaps you have had few jobs to compare it with. I have worked in Indonesia more than a decade and none comes close t be as bad as Swara Group. EF in itself is fine: good material, nice hours, casual attitude. Swara Group is slavery and bondage. They won't even give you a single exit visa for emergency leave unless you fight them for it. You will work every Saturday. Yo will never have enough money - perhaps even to eat.
aeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bless you. No, I have had plenty of jobs in several countries. As with everything in life, a job is what you make it. Perhaps I just went in with a better attitude or a more open mind. Of course EF Swara wasn't perfect, I'd be lying if I said it was but for the most part I enjoyed my time there and it was that job that actually gave me the enthusiasm and experience to return to my country to become a fully licensed teacher. You are welcome to your opinion as I am to mine but don't try to belittle my thoughts by patronising me or telling me I only think what I do because I am inexperienced.
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You will work every Saturday. Yo will never have enough money - perhaps even to eat."

These are the kinds of things teachers need to check into and think about before they sign a contract. If a school tells you that you'll need to work on Saturdays and that your salary is X amount, and you sign the contract, then you can't blame the school for it. You knew the salary before you took the job, so how is it the school's fault how you spend the money? Even if you found that it was hard to live on the salary, it's still not the school's fault. They offer a salary, some people accept it, some don't. It's free will.
lapzod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much this. ^

At my EF I was told by my DOS that I would work on rotation with the other fulltimers on Saturday. Then she left and I now work every Saturday. My contract says that I work 40 hours a week, so there's nothing I can do about it.
(Though it also says that I work anywhere between 9am and 9pm, so if they expect me to work 8am again, they've got another thing coming)

Do I blame the school? Yeah, because they jerk me around, but it's also clearly my fault for not having it confirmed in the contract.
So double check your contract!
timteach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Swara worse than other schools? It seems like a lot of other schools do similar things.
Karesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timteach wrote:
Is Swara worse than other schools? It seems like a lot of other schools do similar things.

It does seem to have the worst reputation of the EF branches. While they'll employ anybody with a pulse, it shows through the work conditions. If Indonesia is where you want to work, Swara will snap you up.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeh wrote:
Oh bless you.
not from an English speaking country.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to hear a good thing about them.
I know some other mills do the same sort of things but these get talked about a lot more.
Maybe they have more staff.
Ianr4482

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: EF Swara Group Reply with quote

Hey guys

Personally I think it's a good place to start your teaching career as I did. They do employ anyone, they should only employ people with degrees in English and a CELTA but they don't. I wouldn't have a job otherwise because I don't a have a degree and I didn't have a CELTA before I started but now I do.

The Swara group expects a lot from people, like working long days up to 14 hours sometimes, many Saturdays and even Sundays for marketing purposes.

Personally I think it's alright for a year or two but after that the Swara group seriously becomes a tedious place in which you'll be ready for a change.

Some people have been in the Swara group for years, for me that is overkill but I guess their work is their passion in life and so for them their enjoyment of life comes from their job. For me personally, life isn't like that. I work to live, not live to work.

Last edited by Ianr4482 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EF Swara Group Reply with quote

Ianr4482 wrote:

The Swara group expects a lot from people, like working long days up to 14 hours sometimes, many Saturdays and even Sundays for marketing purposes. .

That's Insane! Are they providing the big bucks for this? If this is the case, Just Say No to the Swara group.
aeh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
aeh wrote:
Oh bless you.
not from an English speaking country.

Excuse me? Last time I checked the United Kingdom was an English speaking country. Good grief.
mr fred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EF Swara Group Reply with quote

Ianr4482 wrote:
Hey guys

Personally I think it's a good place to start your teaching career as I did.

The Swara group expects a lot from people, like working long days up to 14 hours sometimes, many Saturdays and even Sundays f.

For a low salary?

Not a hope. Assuming my job ever died a death, I could easily earn twice what they pay and still only work 10 to 15 hours per week.
scb222

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Are all EF schools in Indonesia Swara? Reply with quote

Just wondering guys if all EF schools in Indonesia are owned/run by this Swara Group? Anyone got some info or an experience about EF Pamulang?

Is it possible to live comfortably on an EF salary in jakarta? Im not looking to save too much or spend wildly.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: