Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

foreign expert cancellation letter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarns0512

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: foreign expert cancellation letter Reply with quote

I am having difficulty getting my foreign expert cancellation letter from my previous employer at a university in Changchun. My new employer can't process the working permit without it. It took this university 6 weeks to give me the release letter, they then cancelled the foreign expert certificate but didn't give me a copy. I have tried to contact the university in Changchun for a copy of the foreign expert certificate cancellation letter, but now I have been told that they have lost it.

Can you please advise how I can get another copy of the foreign expert certificate cancellation letter?

Can you please offer me some advice on the phone number for the public security bureau in Changchun?
hz88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have truly lost it then they would need to go back to the FEB and obtain another one. This is going to be difficult as the systems changed this year and the previous system has virtually been discontinued.

What I would do is have your new school speak to them and see if they can negotiate this between themselves.

Contacting the PSB in your former city will not avail of anything useful, you might get more joy from the Foreign Experts Bureau. They maybe able to provide your new school with a file copy.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found your new FAO is your best ally in these situations.
It's an object lesson for all. You may think that you are departing on good terms from your old school, but they will often put the boot in behind your back.
tarns0512

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice. However, two different FAO's have tried to resolve the issue. So in affect I have lost two jobs and had to return home. I tried ringing them directly, emailed and sent texts. Now they are blocking me. I enjoy teaching in china and don't want to give up.

Does anyone have the phone number or email for the Foreign Experts Bureau?
22Yossarian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the old foreign expert certificate expired naturally?

After leaving my first job in China, I started my second job a year later, and I did not need anything other than a letter of recommendation.
Modernist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you for your advice. However, two different FAO's have tried to resolve the issue. So in affect I have lost two jobs and had to return home. I tried ringing them directly, emailed and sent texts. Now they are blocking me. I enjoy teaching in china and don't want to give up.

Does anyone have the phone number or email for the Foreign Experts Bureau?

Wait, you're not in China now? And you think you can sort this out from abroad? Like in the UK or US or something? I can't imagine that is possible. MAYBE, if you were still here, you could get on a train to Changchun and go into the FEB office, preferably with someone Chinese, and try to get somewhere, although even then it likely wouldn't work (I have the suspicion that although they COULD give you a copy of the original letter, or give the school a new one, this would be extremely difficult in reality. Some senior bureaucrat would have to be consulted and agree, and such people seem to prefer saying no to every unusual request, particularly from foreigners). The Uni could do it much more easily, but as you say, they don't seem inclined to help you now.

If you were here before, then you know how Chinese public offices are when it comes to phones and emails. Even the Chinese have to go in person, all the time. They are not going to sort something like this out remotely. However you might work here again, it isn't likely to be via this method.

It's a warning: don't leave prior employers without all documents sorted, 100%. The schools have some kind of document you have to sign when leaving, in order to get your last pay and separate employment formally. Don't ever sign this until you have every document you need, stamped and in hand. If they claim they 'can't' give it to you then, but in a few weeks or whenever they will, they are lying. My school gave me my cancellation letter on the day my contract ended.

To be honest I rather doubt your old school actually lost the original, as it would be a major problem for them if the FEB asked to see it and they didn't have it. They had some problem with you (not saying it was your fault, I don't know) and are taking their revenge the Chinese way, quietly and from a distance.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell FAO the date you're leaving and hold back final marks until you have your documentation.
I know we all hate penalizing students for the sins of the admin. But..
hz88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact you are not in China now paints an entirely different picture on the situation.

If your previous FEC and book have actually expired then you should not need it. Your school will be applying for a new ABC work permit card. They will treat this as a new application from outside China and it is not required. If you have the release letter then that should be sufficient to act in that regard.

It could be that they are just working on auto pilot and following previous rules. Inform them to this regard and if they still insist ask them to follow the guidelines in the application procedure. We did not need this year for new applications where the applicant was already outside of China without any current visa. Those in China, yes we did.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was based on you being in China and with the not uncommon problem of your old school getting cute over the release letter.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that if one returns to his home country, the FAO is not required to issue a letter of release. They probably figure that if you're returning to your home country, you won't return to China. That's probably a good assumption on the FAO's part if she knows the many differences in the quality of life between China and most of the developed western world.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything to stop a returning teacher re-starting the Z visa process from home?
I like your analysis though Bud. It has a nice C22 feel about it.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes, you're better off going home for the summer and re-applying from home, especially if you've already nailed down all of the paperwork requirements. It's also handy to do if the school that you left was a nightmare. It does leave a hole in your resume, though.

Yes, it's sort of a Catch -22. If you stay, you get a release. If you leave, there's no release paper issued. I believe, however, that public schools are required to issue a release even if you go home.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted.
22Yossarian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
sometimes, you're better off going home for the summer and re-applying from home, especially if you've already nailed down all of the paperwork requirements. It's also handy to do if the school that you left was a nightmare. It does leave a hole in your resume, though.

Not really. The break up with my first job in China was not pretty, I was on my second contract, and it was a 2 year contract. 90 days before the visa for the first of two years was to expire, I provided them notice of resignation on the final day of the visa.

30 days before what was supposed to be my last day they fired me, taking them off the hook for a bonus and a plane ticket.

I was a student for a year before working again, and I listed them on my resume, and had letters of recommendation from my foreign bosses. I had a good relationship with the foreign bosses, but like many foreigners here, I don’t get on so well with Chinese managment. I had no trouble finding a job, nor did I have any trouble obtaining a new Z visa.

It would have been more of an issue if I wanted to go straight from that job to a new job, as I would have had paperwork issues, and a bit of a black stain on my record, as I would have to explain why things went south at the very end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: